Caracas' revenge: How Venezuela can quickly strike back against the US

According to a specialist, Venezuela might swiftly retaliate against the United States following the clandestine capture of Nicolas Maduro and his spouse by Delta Force operatives.

The South American country could potentially launch a series of cyber assaults targeting the US and its citizens, as suggested by James Knight from DigitalWarfare.com.

In an interview with the Daily Mail last month, in the aftermath of US airstrikes on suspected drug trafficking vessels near Venezuela, Knight advised heightened vigilance among the public.

While acknowledging America’s superior cyberwarfare resources, Knight cautioned that Venezuelan hackers could initiate widespread phishing schemes, send out deceptive emails, and create fraudulent online profiles to disrupt the lives of average Americans.

Such tactics might involve mimicking major US companies like Amazon or even federal entities such as the IRS, thereby eroding public trust in these institutions.

The nighttime operation saw America’s elite Delta Force extracting Maduro and his wife from their residence, having pinpointed their location through CIA intelligence gathered over recent days.

The far-left leader, who will now stand trial in New York City on drugs and weapons charges, was taken in the early hours of Saturday morning.

Donald Trump said the Maduros have been taken to the USS Iwo Jima assault ship and they will later be transported to Manhattan.

A military vehicle destroyed by Saturday's strikes in Venezuela is seen burned-out as dawn breaks in Caracas on Saturday morning

A military vehicle destroyed by Saturday’s strikes in Venezuela is seen burned-out as dawn breaks in Caracas on Saturday morning

A bus with its windows blown out is seen in Caracas in the early hours of Saturday. Venezuela's attorney general said 'innocent people' had been 'mortally wounded' by the strikes but did not offer further details or the number of people injured or killed

A bus with its windows blown out is seen in Caracas in the early hours of Saturday. Venezuela’s attorney general said ‘innocent people’ had been ‘mortally wounded’ by the strikes but did not offer further details or the number of people injured or killed 

Knight said any attack in the digital world would look much different than potential attacks coming from major cyber units in China or Russia.

He said: ‘Their strengths really come in the form of maybe doing some phishing, doing some DDoS, distributed denial-of-service attacks.’

He also warned Venezuela could launch a ‘Hail Mary’ attack against American infrastructure, such as power grids, but called the odds ‘very light.’

Knight recommended Americans should step up their normal online precautions. He said they should avoid suspicious emails and maintain strong passwords.

In terms of Venezuela’s ability to seriously impact the lives of everyday Americans through cyber attacks, Knight said the country’s allies and business partners in Asia and the Middle East are still a much more ominous threat.

The security expert told the Daily Mail cyberwarfare units from Russia, China, and Iran already had access to US computer systems, giving them the ability to disrupt key industries in the event of all-out war.

But he added the cybersecurity industry does not believe these nations would risk entering a potential US conflict with Venezuela by carrying out their own cyberattack.

An explosion rocks Caracas in the early hours of Saturday morning during a US military operation which resulted in the capture of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro

An explosion rocks Caracas in the early hours of Saturday morning during a US military operation which resulted in the capture of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro  

Venezuelan dictator Nicolas Maduro (pictured) and President Trump spoke by phone last month as tensions between the two countries mounted

Venezuelan dictator Nicolas Maduro (pictured) and President Trump spoke by phone last month as tensions between the two countries mounted

US forces on November 6 struck an alleged drug trafficking boat in the Caribbean, killing three people, Pentagon chief Pete Hegseth said

US forces on November 6 struck an alleged drug trafficking boat in the Caribbean, killing three people, Pentagon chief Pete Hegseth said

‘What would be a benefit of the Chinese if they suddenly started attacking? It would be worse.

‘Trump would double the tariffs on them very quickly. It just doesn’t benefit them that much,’ Knight said.

‘They like having access, they like being able to use the drug networks to put fentanyl into America.

‘They might like to be a thorn in the side, they might like to have access to the hemisphere, but is it really worth their getting involved? Definitely not.’

The expert added that US cyber units have been mapping out targets to strike digitally in Venezuela and other hostile nations for years.

Trump hailed the operation to snatch Maduro as ‘brilliant’ during a brief interview with the New York Times on Saturday morning.

The president later called into Fox News’s breakfast show Fox & Friends, excitedly telling its hosts: ‘I mean, I watched it literally l like I was watching a television show.

‘If you would’ve seen the speed, the violence – it was an amazing thing.’

Explosions were seen ripping across Caracas during the daring raid, with Venezuelan AG Tarek Saab insisting ‘innocents’ had been ‘mortally wounded’ by the operation.

Two days before the raid, Maduro issued a plea for peace to the US, amid reports he had begun sleeping in a different place every night in a bid to avoid capture.

Speaking to a Spanish journalist, Maduro said: ‘The American people should know they have a friendly, peaceful people here, and a friendly government as well.

‘They should know that our message is very clear: ‘Not War. Yes Peace’.’

During the same interview, Maduro said he’d be willing to work with the US to curtail drug trafficking.

Trump claims Maduro is the head of a narcotics cartel which has flooded the United States with illegal substances.

Speaking to The New York Times at 4:30am on Saturday morning, nine minutes after announcing the raid on his TruthSocial website, Trump said: ‘A lot of good planning and lot of great, great troops and great people.

‘It was a brilliant operation, actually.’ Asked if he had consulted Congress prior to authorizing the strike, Trump said: ‘We’ll discuss that.’

Maduro is due to stand trial in Manhattan and will likely be housed in the Metropolitan Detention Center in Brooklyn – the same federal facility that currently houses alleged United HealthCare CEO murderer Luigi Mangione.

American forces do not appear to have encountered much resistance from the Venezuelan military, despite Maduro claiming he was ready for any attack.

You May Also Like

Dramatic Moment Fisherman Is Rescued After 15 Days Trapped in Underwater Cave

A Mexican fisherman has been pulled out alive after surviving more than…

Finance Book Author and CEO Jailed for $380M Fraud Scheme

The head of a purported real estate investment firm — and author…

Todd Blanche Raises Doubts Over FBI’s Role in Nancy Guthrie Search

Attorney General Todd Blanche has questioned whether the FBI should assume control…

NYCHA Foes Spread Antisemitic, Racist, Homophobic Flyers

Antisemitic, racist and homophobic flyers attacking a major Chelsea housing redevelopment have…

Angel Reese Mocked After Missed Game-Winner vs Caitlin Clark

Angel Reese was left to rue a costly miss after she passed…

Hayden Panettiere Dies at 36, Fans Mourn Beloved Star

Hayden Panettiere, the actress who rose from child stardom to become a…

Miguel Sandoval Pleads Guilty in Lancaster Quadruple Murder

A young man accused of carrying out a revenge-fueled massacre in Lancaster…

Karl-Anthony Towns Marries Jordyn Woods in Lavish Ceremony

New York Knicks standout Karl-Anthony Towns celebrated a life-changing moment off the…

Trump Orders Scaled-Back U.S. Military Drills With South Korea

President Donald Trump has directed the Pentagon to significantly reduce planned joint…

Benefit Claimants Could Receive Therapy Instead of Cash Under Welfare Reform Proposals

Britons receiving benefits could be offered non-cash help, including therapy or nutritious…

Jeffries Offers Cautious Response on Medicare for All and DSA Influence

WASHINGTON — House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries drew sharp scrutiny Sunday after…

Robert Carradine’s Family Sues UCLA Over Actor’s Death at 71

The family of late actor Robert Carradine has taken legal action against…