Share this @internewscast.com


In a bid to ease ongoing tensions, the United States and Iran are scheduled to engage in diplomatic discussions in Oman on Friday. These talks are part of a broader effort to address the strained relations between the two nations.

The agenda for the meeting remains a contentious issue. Iran is firm on focusing solely on its nuclear program, while the United States is pushing to include topics such as human rights and Iran’s missile capabilities.

German Chancellor Friedrich Merz, during his recent visit to the Gulf region, expressed “great concern” over the potential for conflict escalation with Iran. He conveyed these worries during meetings with regional officials.

At a press conference in Doha, Merz, representing a US ally, called on Iran to cease what he described as aggressive behavior and to contribute to regional stability.

This dialogue comes amidst heightened hostilities between the US and Iran, following Iran’s harsh suppression of anti-government protests. These demonstrations have been the most significant challenge to the Iranian regime since the 1979 Islamic Revolution.

In recent weeks, the Middle East has witnessed a notable increase in US military presence. This military build-up includes the recent incident where a US military action shot down an Iranian drone, which was reported to have approached an aircraft carrier in an “aggressive” manner.

The discussions were initially to be held in Türkiye, but Iran pushed for a venue change because it wanted a continuation of previous talks in Oman that solely focused on its nuclear program.

Iran says its nuclear activities are for peaceful purposes, while the US — which struck Iranian nuclear targets last year — and Israel have accused it of seeking to develop nuclear weapons.

Trump’s son-in-law, Jared Kushner, is expected to take part in the Oman talks, along with US special envoy to the Middle East Steve Witkoff and Iranian foreign minister Abbas Araghchi, officials said.

“If the Iranians want to meet, we’re ready,” US secretary of state Marco Rubio said on Wednesday.

Rubio said the talks needed to include the range of Iran’s ballistic missiles, its support for armed proxy groups and human rights, in addition to nuclear issues.

However, senior Iranian officials said Iran’s missile program was “off the table” and US insistence on broaching other subjects would jeopardise discussions.

Doubts were raised if the talks would even take place, with leaders of both countries trading barbs.

Asked on Wednesday if Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei should be worried, US President Donald Trump said: “I would say he should be very worried. Yeah, he should be.”

Araghchi left for Oman on Thursday. His spokesperson Esmail Baghaei said Tehran would engage “with authority and with the aim of reaching a fair, mutually acceptable and dignified understanding on the nuclear issue”.

“We hope the American side will also participate in this process with responsibility, realism and seriousness,” Baghaei added.

Last week, Araghchi warned that Iran’s armed forces had “their fingers on the trigger” in response to any potential aggression.

— With additional reporting by Reuters news agency


For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
The Todd Tavern in Alice Springs is one of 20 venues where the serving of alcohol will be further restricted.

Alice Springs Enforces New Mid-Week Pub Rules: No Meal, No Pint Policy Shakes Up Local Scene

A sweeping reform is set to hit pubs in Alice Springs as…
SA Police has released the first picture of missing 4-year-old boy Gus Lamont.

Authorities Conduct Thorough Search of Outhouse and Nearby Tank at Sheep Station in Ongoing Investigation for Missing Person Gus

Today, major crime investigators were observed examining a water tank and an…

Exposing the Exploitation: Urgent Oversight Needed as NDIS Providers Threaten First Nations’ Vulnerable

Individuals with disabilities, considered vulnerable, are being lured with monetary incentives, food,…
Opposition Leader Angus Taylor has unveiled his new shadow ministry this afternoon, bringing back the Nationals and exiled members.

New Opposition Leader Revamps Shadow Ministry with Major Promotions and Strategic Returns

Angus Taylor, the Opposition Leader, has introduced his revamped shadow ministry, re-integrating…
Brandan Koschel attended the March for Australia protest alongside hundreds of others winding their way through Sydney's city centre.

White Supremacist Sentenced for Incendiary Australia Day Speech

A man who threw his support behind neo-Nazis and spouted anti-Semitic remarks…
Health insurance hike to 'push many households to the edge'

Impending Health Insurance Increase Poised to Strain Household Budgets

Australians are about to be hit with the largest average price hike…
Coles tells court shoppers care about 'fair dinkum' discounts

Coles Reveals Shopper Loyalty Hinges on Authentic Discounts: A Courtroom Insight

Coles has stood by its “down down” discount strategy, asserting that customers…
Reverend Jesse Jackson dead at 84

Reverend Jesse Jackson Passes Away at 84

The Reverend Jesse Louis Jackson, the towering civil rights leader whose moral…

Join Randa Abdel-Fattah at the Sydney Writers’ Festival: A Must-Attend Event for Literature Lovers!

In brief Sydney Writers’ Festival said in a statement it was “not…
One Nation leader Senator Pauline Hanson during a press conference at Parliament House in Canberra on Monday 19 January 2026.

Pauline Hanson Faces Backlash: Controversial Remarks Slammed as ‘Un-Australian

One of Australia’s most prominent conservative senators has delivered a stinging critique…
The Australian Education Union is urging the Victorian Government to trial a four-day work week for teachers to avoid future recruitment issues.

Proposal for a Four-Day Work Week for Teachers Gains Momentum

The Australian Education Union is urging the Victorian government to trial a…

Name Revealed: Court Lifts Suppression Order on Alleged Invasion Day Bomber

A Perth magistrate has lifted the anonymity of a man accused of…