Share this @internewscast.com

In a significant move, the United States has officially withdrawn from the World Health Organization (WHO), following a year of warnings about the potential negative impact on both domestic and global public health. The decision comes amid criticism of the WHO’s handling of the COVID-19 pandemic, which the U.S. administration cited as a driving factor behind its departure.

President Donald Trump announced that the U.S. would exit the WHO on the first day of his presidency in 2025 through an executive order. This decision marks a notable shift in international health policy for the country.

A statement released Thursday by the U.S. Departments of Health and State indicated that the United States will maintain only limited engagement with the WHO as it processes its withdrawal. The statement underscores a significant reduction in collaboration with the global health body.

“We have no plans to participate as an observer, and we have no plans of rejoining,” stated a senior government health official, emphasizing the administration’s firm stance on the issue.

The US said it plans to work directly with other countries — rather than through an international organisation — on disease surveillance and other public health priorities.

Under US law, it was supposed to give one-year notice and pay all outstanding fees — around $US260 million ($380 million) —before leaving.

But a US State Department official disputed that the statute contains a condition that any payment ‌needs to be made before withdrawal.

“The American people have paid more than enough,” a State Department spokesperson said in an email earlier on Thursday.

The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) said ‍in a document released on Thursday that the government had ended its funding contributions to the agency. Trump had exercised his authority to pause the future transfer of any US government resources to the WHO because the organisation had cost the US trillions of dollars, the HHS spokesperson said.

The US flag had been removed from outside the WHO headquarters in Geneva on Thursday, according to witnesses.

In recent weeks, the US has moved to exit a number of other UN organisations, and some fear that Trump’s recently launched Board of Peace could undermine the UN as a whole.

The US departure has sparked a financial crisis that has seen the WHO cut its management team in half and scale back work, cutting budgets across the agency. Washington has traditionally been by far the UN health agency’s biggest financial backer, contributing around 18 per cent of its overall funding. The WHO will also shed around a quarter of its staff by the middle of this year.

The agency said it has been working with the US and sharing information in the last year. It was unclear how the collaboration will work going forward.

Global health experts said this posed risks for the US, the WHO and the world.

“The US withdrawal from WHO could weaken the systems and collaborations the world relies on to detect, prevent, and respond to health threats,” said Kelly Henning, ‍public health program lead at Bloomberg Philanthropies, a US-based non-profit.


For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Urgent Search Resumes for Missing 4-Year-Old Gus Lamont in Remote Outback: Latest Updates

The investigation into the disappearance of four-year-old Gus Lamont has intensified as…
SA Police has released the first picture of missing 4-year-old boy Gus Lamont.

75-Year-Old Charged with Firearms Offences as Police Intensify Search for Fugitive Gus Lamont

Authorities investigating the disappearance of four-year-old Gus Lamont have pressed firearms charges…

Angus Taylor’s Bold Immigration & Tax Strategy: Key Insights Before the Front Bench Reveal

Angus Taylor, the Opposition Leader, is preparing to introduce his revamped front…
Angus Taylor and Jane Hume at a press conference

Angus Taylor Faces New Challenge as One Nation Matches Coalition Support

For the first time, One Nation is on level pegging with the…

Can the Liberal Party Overcome Its Gender Challenges After Losing Its First Female Leader?

Sussan Ley, the first woman to lead the Liberal Party, was removed…
police generic

Authorities Pursue Suspects in Widespread Parking Lot Scam Investigation

Two men are before the courts as police investigate an alleged theft…

Alleged Bondi Beach Shooter Naveed Akram Makes Initial Court Appearance

In Court: Bondi Attack Suspect Naveed Akram has addressed the court for…

Global Protests Ignite Anti-Government Chants Across Iran: A Rising Wave of Unrest

Reports have emerged of Tehran residents vocally expressing dissent against the country’s…
Pictured: The benches on that have been branded 'unusable'

Critics Label London’s £4.6 Billion Super Sewer Garden as ‘Grim’ Due to ‘Unusable Benches’ and ‘Lifeless’ Design

The latest £4.6 billion sewer initiative in the capital has come under…
Undercover police have rammed a car in the middle of Melbourne after it was seen driving erratically.

Melbourne Chaos: Undercover Police Car Intercepts Reckless Driver in Dramatic City Center Clash

Undercover police have rammed a car in the middle of Melbourne after…
The overlooked 500 per cent price increase blocking new housing

Hidden Costs: The 500% Price Surge Hindering New Home Construction

You’d imagine that in a country the size of Australia, finding new…
Mystery blast burns boats and forces restaurant to evacuate

Unexplained Explosion Ignites Boats and Triggers Restaurant Evacuation

A mystery blast has rocked a Perth harbour, destroying boats and forcing…