Alan Jones leaves Downing Centre Local Court on December 18, 2024. Photo: Rhett Wyman / SMH
Share this @internewscast.com

Legal representatives for the contentious radio personality Alan Jones have hinted at a possible request to put his sexual abuse case on hold, due to an ongoing disagreement over the electronic devices that were confiscated from him over a year ago.

The 84-year-old Jones, who once ruled the airwaves, faces charges of 25 counts of indecent assault and two counts of sexual touching, involving nine alleged victims. He has maintained his innocence in the face of these accusations.

His legal battle is slated for a hearing in August 2026. However, during a recent session at Sydney’s Downing Centre Local Court, his barrister expressed frustration over the lack of critical information still pending.

Alan Jones leaves Downing Centre Local Court on December 18, 2024. Photo: Rhett Wyman / SMH
Alan Jones has been charged with 25 counts of indecent assault and two counts of sexual touching. (Rhett Wyman / SMH)

“That is, in our submission, an unsatisfactory state of affairs,” remarked Gabrielle Bashir SC, highlighting the ongoing complications in the case.

In response, Crown prosecutor Emma Curran stated that the police had already submitted all available evidence. Nevertheless, she acknowledged that data extraction from five electronic devices, confiscated during Jones’ arrest, remains incomplete.

Adding to the complexity, Jones has challenged the legality of the search conducted at his residence and the subsequent seizure of his devices. He argues that these devices should be exempt from disclosure, citing protections granted by legal and journalistic privileges.

The electronic devices have not been searched as a result of the concerns communicated by his legal team, the court was told.

“What flows from that is the police are not in the position to serve the entirety of the brief of evidence until those (electronic) items have been reviewed,” Ms Curran said. 

Ms Bashir contended she had repeatedly asked for material in relation to the search and seizure at her client’s home to no avail. 

The prosecution was obliged to share the information, which could be relevant to an application to stay the proceedings, she said.

The suggestion that the prosecution was withholding any exculpatory material was strongly rejected by Curran.

Alan Jones' barrister Gabrielle Bashir SC and instructing solicitor Bryan Wrench leave John Maddison Tower on Thursday
Alan Jones’ barrister Gabrielle Bashir SC and instructing solicitor Bryan Wrench leave John Maddison Tower on Thursday (Clare Sibthorpe)

Magistrate Glenn Walsh ordered that the brief of evidence against Jones be served on his lawyers by December 19 and adjourned the dispute surrounding disclosure until next year. 

Jones was arrested in November 2024 after an eight-month police investigation into historical sexual assault. 

He is accused of sexual misconduct against nine complainants between 2003 and 2020, in private as well as places including restaurants, events and the Sydney Opera House. 

Two of the alleged victims were driving the former teacher around when he indecently assaulted them, according to prosecutors. 

The charges, which he has claimed are “all either baseless or they distort the truth”, followed a hugely influential broadcasting career launched in 1985.

Jones became a feared interviewer who excelled at questioning leaders while dividing audiences with his outspoken views. 

He worked with Sydney radio station 2UE before joining rival 2GB, where he was a long-time ratings juggernaut until 2020.

Alongside a failed tilt at politics, he also coached the Australian national men’s rugby union team through some historic achievements between 1984 and 1988.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Lukas Schindler from Switzerland crossing the finish line at the Sydney marathon.

Heroic Swiss Tourist Identified After Bravely Attempting to Save Girlfriend from Shark Attack

A Swiss tourist who bravely attempted to ward off a shark during…
The Prime Minister Anthony Albanese and Jodie Haydon after getting married today in Canberra.

Inside the Secret Wedding of Anthony Albanese and Jodie Haydon at The Lodge: Exclusive Details Revealed

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has married long-time partner Jodie Haydon in an…
Police have arrested a 16-year-old boy.

Teenager in Critical Condition After Adelaide Shopping Centre Altercation; One Arrested

A teenager is in critical condition, and a 20-year-old man is seriously…
No one could escape these two words for weeks. Now Aussies are opting out

Aussies Opt Out of Viral Two-Word Craze Dominating Conversations for Weeks

Exclusive Insight: The phrase “Black Friday” has been ubiquitous, filling email inboxes…
Lucas died after a stabbing in Sydney's Rouse Hill.

Family of Fatally Stabbed Teen Remembers Him as a ‘Loyal Young Man

The parents of a Sydney teenager who tragically lost his life in…

UN Urges Global Solidarity Following Trump’s Pledge to Halt Migration from Developing Nations

UN agencies have asked the US to continue to allow asylum seekers…

Prime Minister Commends ‘Yes-alition’ as Environmental Reforms Secure Passage Before Parliament Adjourns for the Year

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has happily returned for an extra sitting day…

Tragic Floods in Southeast Asia Claim Over 250 Lives

Days of devastating flooding across Southeast Asia have killed more than 250…
ACT Policing is urging the mother of the newborn baby to seek medical attention.

Heartbreaking Discovery: Newborn Baby Abandoned at Canberra Fire Station Sparks Urgent Response

Police are looking for dashcam footage after a a newborn baby was…
Neuroblastoma is a deadly cancer that can affect children as young as two-years-old. A new study by the Garvan Institute may have found a drug that can help cure it.

Potential Breakthrough Drug Surfaces for Treating Deadly Childhood Cancer

A medication, already approved for cancer treatment, might now offer a new…
WA man jailed for stealing intimate material and using 'evil twin' WiFi networks

Cyber Trickery: Man Sentenced for Crafting Deceptive ‘Evil Twin’ WiFi Networks at Australian Airports

A 44-year-old man has been sentenced to prison for orchestrating a scheme…
Thousands swelter without power as mercury soars again across south-east Queensland

Scorching Heatwave Leaves Southeast Queensland Powerless: Thousands Struggle in Rising Temperatures

Almost 3000 homes and businesses were without power in south-east Queensland yesterday…