World champion boxer, 38, shot dead in deadly ambush outside his home

Zolani Tete, the celebrated South African boxer and two-time world champion, has been killed in a shooting outside his home.

Authorities said the 38-year-old former titleholder was fatally attacked in what appeared to be a planned ambush in Mdantsane, Eastern Cape, at about 6:30pm on Friday.

According to police, Tete was arriving at his property and waiting for the gate to open when two unidentified gunmen, both reportedly wearing balaclavas, moved toward him.

Investigators said the armed suspects, who remain on the run, got out of a vehicle before firing at Tete and a 27-year-old woman who was traveling with him. She is currently receiving treatment in hospital.

Police spokesperson Brigadier Nobuntu Gantana confirmed that Tete could not be saved, saying: ‘He unfortunately succumbed to his injuries and was declared deceased on the scene.’

Gantana added: ‘The female passenger sustained multiple gunshot wounds and was immediately rushed to a nearby hospital for medical treatment. She remains hospitalized.’

Boxer Zolani Tete was shot dead outside his home in Eastern Cape, South Africa

South African boxer Zolani Tete was fatally shot outside his home in the Eastern Cape

World Champion Boxer, 38, Killed in Ambush Outside His Home

Tete was a two-time world champion, best known for his reign as WBO bantamweight titleholder

Gantana revealed: ‘In an attempt to escape the hail of bullets, the deceased drove his vehicle into the yard.

Tete most notably held the WBO bantamweight title from 2017 to 2019. He also holds a Guinness World Record for the fastest knockout in a title fight after he knocked out Siboniso Gonya inside just 11 seconds in 2017.

Minister of Sport, Arts and Culture Gayton McKenzie said: ‘South Africa has lost one of the finest fighters it has ever produced. Zolani “Last Born” Tete was shot and killed this evening in Mdantsane, at his own home, at the age of 38. A 27-year-old woman who was in the car with him was shot multiple times and is in hospital tonight. I wish her a full recovery, and I ask that her privacy and the family’s be respected.

‘I want to speak first to his family and to the people of Mdantsane. There are no words I can offer tonight that will be equal to what you have lost. Your son’s name will not be treated lightly by this country, and my Department and I are at your disposal in the days ahead, in whatever way is useful to you. 

‘He was sitting at his own gate, waiting for it to open, and that is where they came for him. I will not speculate about who did this or why. That investigation belongs to the South African Police Service, and the detectives working it tonight need support.

‘Two armed men in balaclavas got out of a car in Mdantsane and killed one of our greatest world champion at his own front gate, and they are still out there tonight. I appeal to anyone who saw anything, who knows anything, who heard anything, to come forward. Somebody in that community knows who did this.’

Tete last fought in London in July 2022, beating Jason Cunningham by knockout for his 30th professional win in 35 fights. But it was later ruled a no-contest after he failed a drugs test.

A year later, he was issued a four-year ban by the UK Anti-Doping Agency after testing positive for stanozolol. His ban ended on July 29 this year and after his death, manager Mla Tengimfene, confirmed he was training for a comeback fight on November 29. 

Tete had not fought since 2022 but was training for a comeback after a drugs ban

Tete had not fought since 2022 but was training for a comeback after a drugs ban

Boxing South Africa said Tete 'inspired a generation of fighters' with his career

Boxing South Africa said Tete ‘inspired a generation of fighters’ with his career

‘It’s been a tough and long journey and I am happy it’s finally coming to an end,’ Tete told The Ring earlier this year, still protesting his innocence over the adverse drug test finding, insisting: ‘I don’t accept the ban because I’m a clean and fair athlete.’

When asked if he was going to return to boxing, he said: ‘Oh yes definitely, my plan is still unfinished,’ he said. ‘It’s been a while since I stepped inside the ring, I am looking forward to my comeback fight and getting back to winning ways.’

News of his passing was met with an outpouring of tributes from across the boxing world, including a statement from the sport’s governing body in South Africa. 

It read: ‘Boxing South Africa (BSA) has learnt with profound shock and sadness of the untimely passing of former IBF Junior Bantamweight and WBO Bantamweight World Champion, Zolani ‘Last Born’ Tete.

‘The tragic incident reportedly occurred on the evening of Friday, 21 August 2026, in Mdantsane, Eastern Cape. Our thoughts and prayers are with the Tete family, his manager Mlandeli Tengimfene, the All-Winners Boxing Club, and Last-Born Boxing Promotions during this incredibly difficult time.

‘Zolani Tete was more than a champion. He was an icon of South African boxing. A product of the famed All Winners Mdantsane boxing stable.

‘He etched his name in history as one of the country’s few two-weight world champions. His achievements in the ring from winning the IBF junior-bantamweight title in Japan in 2014 to claiming the WBO bantamweight crown, inspired a generation of fighters. 

‘His legacy includes holding the record for the fastest world title defence in boxing history, needing just 11 seconds to stop Siboniso Gonya in 2017 .

‘We extend our deepest condolences to his family, friends, and the entire boxing fraternity. The sport has lost a true warrior and ambassador.

‘Further details regarding official tributes and memorial arrangements will be shared upon engagement with the Tete family. We kindly request that the family’s privacy be respected during this period of mourning.’

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Sarah Vine: Prince Harry Stealing Prince William’s Spotlight Must Be Infuriating

Whatever else is said about the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, one…

Doctor Pilot Killed as Small Plane Collides With Helicopter on Runway

A Pennsylvania doctor died Wednesday after the small plane he was piloting…

New England Woman Posed With Creepy Doll Jailed for Morgue Crimes

A Massachusetts woman who once posed for a selfie with an eerie…

Woman, 47, Dies at Jail Booking After Saying She Couldn’t Breathe

An Oregon woman arrested after an incident at a Kentucky Fried Chicken…

Prince Harry and Co-Claimants Face Millions in Legal Costs After Losing Hacking Case

Prince Harry and six co-claimants have been ordered to pay millions of…

Green Activist On Board Claimed Labour Is More Evil Than Iran

A newly elected member of the Green Party Council has claimed Labour…

Meghan Markle Eyes Acting Comeback in UK-Filmed Netflix Hit

Meghan Markle is reportedly exploring a potential return to scripted television, with…

Tourist Plunges 120 Feet While Searching for Better View Before Bystander Rescue

A 60-year-old visitor to Montana’s Glacier National Park plunged roughly 120 feet…

Russian Strike on Ukraine Shopping Center Kills 14, Sparks Horror

KYIV — At least 14 people were killed and more than 120…

Federal Prosecutor Found Dead at Workplace After Disappearance

A longtime federal prosecutor reported missing Wednesday was found dead only hours…

Prince Harry Should Heed the Crucial Differences Between His Life and Princess Diana’s

Wherever one turns, a single presence seems to loom over Prince Harry’s…

Deadly Tour Bus Fire in Hacienda Heights Shuts Down 60 Freeway

A tour bus erupted in flames on the 60 Freeway early Friday,…