Share this @internewscast.com


After 20 years delivering meals and ad campaigns featuring stars such as Snoop Dogg and Katy Perry, Menulog is shutting down its Australian operations.
The popular food delivery service will stop trading on 26 November, the company announced on Wednesday, in a move that will cut 120 jobs and reduce competition in the market.
The Transport Workers Union (TWU) said the closure would come as a shock to delivery workers, who had been fighting for better employment conditions.

The recent announcement comes in the wake of notable exits in the food delivery sector, with Deliveroo ceasing operations in 2022 and Foodora bowing out in 2018. Despite the overall expansion of the food delivery market, these closures highlight underlying challenges within the industry.

Within the gig economy, workers continue to face significant hurdles. They often endure pay rates that fall below the minimum wage, lack access to essential benefits like sick leave and superannuation, and operate under intense pressure. This pressure to quickly complete jobs is driven by the fear of deactivation, which underscores the precarious nature of their livelihood.

Menulog, which was founded in Sydney in 2006, was one of Australia’s most popular food-delivery apps, according to Roy Morgan, second only to Uber Eats in 2022.
The decision to close the business had been challenging, Menulog managing director Morten Belling said, and the two-week notice of its closure was designed to allow customers to redeem vouchers and credits.
“Today is a tough day for the Menulog business, and I would like to reassure everyone this decision was not taken lightly,” he said.
“Our priority now is to support our customers, couriers and partners.”
The company, which was acquired by Dutch firm Just Eat Takeaway.com in 2020, will offer some of its delivery couriers four-week redundancy payouts.
The news would come as a shock to thousands of couriers, TWU national secretary Michael Kaine said, and highlighted employment instability in the industry.
“We will be working to ensure those workers receive pay for their work and fair exit payments over the coming weeks,” he said.

“In the gig economy, workers are still languishing with below-minimum wage rates, no sick leave or superannuation and deadly pressure to rush to make a living and avoid being deactivated.”

The federal government introduced closing loopholes laws in 2024 that introduced minimum standards for employee-like workers, and allowed the Fair Work Commission to set minimum standards for gig economy workers.
Remaining delivery services should back the changes urgently, Kaine said, to ensure couriers have confidence in their employment conditions.
“DoorDash, Uber Eats, Hungry Panda and Easi now need to come to the table to ensure we get standards in place as soon as possible,” he said.
Menulog’s closure will see the departure of the only food-delivery service that began in Australia, and comes after the withdrawal of Deliveroo in November 2022, which impacted 120 jobs.
The closures come despite growth in the market, with Statista reporting more than 8.3 million Australians used food delivery services in 2024 and predictions from Mordor Intelligence that the food service market would grow by 11.45 per cent annually.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Prince Andrew arrives for the funeral of the Duchess of Kent at Westminster Cathedral in London, Tuesday, Sept. 16, 2025.

Ancient Law Resurfaces: The Legal Twist that Threatens Prince Andrew with a Life Sentence

However, the charge he was arrested on suspicion of, misconduct in public…

Tragic California Avalanche Claims Eight Lives, One Skier Still Unaccounted For

In brief The avalanche swept the Castle Peak area of Truckee, California,…
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - OCTOBER 3: Matt Utai of the Bulldogs dives over for a try during the NRL Grand Final  between the Sydney Roosters and the Bulldogs held at Telstra Stadium, October 3, 2004 in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Chris McGrath/Getty Images) *** Local Caption *** Matt Utai

Four Teens Face Charges in Connection with Alleged Shooting and Arson Attacks on Utai Family

In a shocking incident early Tuesday morning, former Bulldogs and Wests Tigers…

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Taken into Custody

Even after being stripped of his official titles by his brother, King…
Former MP on trial for alleged child abuse in car park bathroom

Ex-MP Faces Court Over Shocking Child Abuse Allegations in Car Park Restroom

A former politician accused of sexually abusing a young teen in a…
Guzman y Gomez hidden logo detail

Low Burrito Sales in Australia Lead to $200 Million Loss for Major Company

Guzman y Gomez, a well-known burrito chain, has taken a significant financial…

Trump Convenes Inaugural ‘Board of Peace’ Meeting, Pledges Aid for Gaza

Key Points Donald Trump inaugurated his “Board of Peace” with a pledge…

Trump Promises to Unveil UFO and Alien Secrets: What Could Be Revealed?

IN BRIEF Trump’s move comes after former US president Barack Obama said…
Police return to royal homes after ex-Prince Andrew's arrest

Police Presence Intensifies at Royal Residences Following Former Prince Andrew’s Arrest

The brother of King Charles III was taken into custody on his…

NT Hit-and-Run Driver Dodges Jail Time Once More Despite Prosecutors’ Appeal for Tougher Sentence

Warning: This article contains distressing content and mentions the names of deceased…

Zuckerberg Testifies: Landmark Social Media Trial Poised to Reshape Tech Industry

In brief This was the first time Zuckerberg, who owns Meta, addressed…
Prince Andrew, Duke of York, King Charles III and Prince William, Prince of Wales

King Charles Responds to Brother Andrew’s Arrest: What You Need to Know

On the morning of his 66th birthday, the former Prince Andrew was…