5.9k Share this
Zach Wilson’s preseason ended before Friday night’s game with the Eagles began.
The Jets decided to rest Wilson rather than play him against the Eagles’ backups. Head coach Robert Saleh said Wednesday that he was leaning toward playing the rookie quarterback in the game, but changed his mind. The CBS broadcasters said Saleh indicated the decision not to play Wilson was based on the Eagles resting their starters.
Wilson finished the preseason 15-for-20 for 191 yards and two touchdowns with no interceptions. He had a passer rating of 137.7 and led the Jets on four scoring drives in six possessions with no turnovers and no three-and-outs.
The next time Wilson will take the field will be Sept. 12 when the Jets open the season against the Panthers in Charlotte, N.C.
- In addition to Wilson, the Jets rested many of their starters in Friday’s 31-31 tie with the Eagles at MetLife Stadium. There were, however, several players who project as starters or major contributors who did start the game: TE Trevon Wesco, RB Ty Johnson, TE Chris Herndon, OT George Fant, OT Morgan Moses, WR Keelan Cole, DE Bryce Huff, DT Folorunso Fatukasi, DT Nathan Shepherd, LB Jamien Sherwood, LB Hamsah Nasirildeen, CB Bless Austin, CB Bryce Hall and CB Michael Carter II.
- Veteran QB Josh Johnson was the surprise starter with Wilson not playing and Mike White held out with a rib injury. Johnson has not gotten much playing time in training camp. He took advantage of the opportunity to play on Friday. He completed 7 of 8 passes for 93 yards and one touchdown.
- Johnson looked in command and connected with Lawrence Cager for the 2-yard touchdown. The Jets have an interesting debate at backup quarterback. White has been the clear No. 2 for all of camp, but has not played all that well. Johnson would give them a veteran presence and someone who has actually played in an NFL game before.
- Sherwood, the rookie from Auburn, had two missed tackles on the first drive of the game. One of them was on Boston Scott’s 49-yard touchdown catch from Joe Flacco. Sherwood failed to bring Scott down and the running back then juked safety J.T. Hassell on the way to the end zone. Sherwood is now the projected starter at strong-side linebacker after Jarrad Davis was lost for at least the first five games to an ankle injury.
- The Jets’ offensive line had mostly backups, but Fant and Moses both started at tackle. They are competing for the right tackle job, but Fant started at left tackle Friday. That is one of the Jets’ only true competitions for a starting job right now. Both of them got plenty of playing time Friday, so the coaches have a lot of tape to evaluate.
- Guard Dan Feeney had a tough game. He got beat badly on two tackles for losses. Feeney is fighting for the backup guard/center job. … DT Folorunso Fatukasi had a forced fumble on a hit of Flacco.