A police investigation is underway after this disturbing note was sent to Lakemba Mosque
Share this @internewscast.com

A chilling death threat sent to Australia’s largest mosque has heightened tension within the Muslim community just hours before the start of Ramadan.

The menacing letter, addressed to Lakemba Mosque in Sydney’s southwest, marks the third such incident in recent weeks.

This latest correspondence included a news article about previous threats, along with a crude drawing of a pig, and was laced with hateful Islamophobic language and slurs.

The letter also targeted Josh Lees, an organizer of pro-Palestine protests, and made reference to Brenton Tarrant, the Australian man responsible for the tragic mass shooting at a Christchurch mosque in New Zealand in March 2019, which claimed 51 lives.

Upon receiving the threatening message on Wednesday, just as Ramadan was about to begin, the mosque swiftly convened with New South Wales government officials to discuss enhancing security measures.

In response, the mosque has implemented new precautions, including limiting the number of staff handling mail, to maintain control over fingerprints on potentially dangerous letters.

Thousands of worshippers, including women and children are expected to attend the mosque during the holy month of Ramadan, which began on Wednesday night.

Crowds will also flock to the annual Lakemba Night Markets, which kicks off on Thursday and will run four nights a week during Ramadan.

A police investigation is underway after this disturbing note was sent to Lakemba Mosque

A police investigation is underway after this disturbing note was sent to Lakemba Mosque

Thousands of worshippers will visit the mosque during Ramadan

Thousands of worshippers will visit the mosque during Ramadan

There are growing calls for increased police and security patrols at the event, which attracts more than 50,000 visitors each night. 

‘Community members have contacted us expressing fear that something may happen, particularly given the current tensions in the broader environment,’ a mosque spokesperson from the Lebanese Muslim Association said.

‘Families are anxious. Parents are worried about bringing their children to prayers. No community should feel this way in Australia.

‘Every Australian should be able to practise their faith safely and without fear.’

The latest letter has since been seized by NSW Police to be forensically tested. An investigation was also launched.

‘Police will continue to conduct patrols of religious sites, including the mosque, and at community events under Operation Shelter,’ a spokeswoman told Daily Mail.

‘To provide reassurance to the Muslim community, there will be additional police resources, including under Operation Shelter, deployed to religious and community sites and events based on community needs and risks.

‘Police Area Commanders will be working and liaising with community leaders to provide reassurance and support to ensure members of the community are and feel safe.’

The start of Ramadan coincides with the annual Lakemba Night Markets, which kick off Thursday night

The start of Ramadan coincides with the annual Lakemba Night Markets, which kick off Thursday night

Community leaders have called for heightened security measures at Lakemba Mosque during Ramadan

Community leaders have called for heightened security measures at Lakemba Mosque during Ramadan

A 70-year-old man accused of sending a threatening letter to the mosque on January 24 was later charged with three counts for sending documents threatening death or grievous bodily harm.

Investigations into the origins of a second letter sent earlier this month continue.

Opened in 1977 with former Prime Minister Gough Whitlam in attendance, Lakemba Mosque is widely considered to be Australia’s most significant. 

The latest hate letter comes after One Nation leader Pauline Hanson singled out Lakemba as a suburb that she believes some Australians feel uncomfortable visiting.

‘It concerns me greatly that people can’t go into certain suburbs in this country … And I’ve been there myself and you feel unwanted, you do not want to be there,’ she told ABC TV. 

The senator’s comments sparked outrage from community leaders.

‘It is very challenging times for our country and we need to just make sure we look after one another,’ Canterbury Bankstown mayor Bilal El-Hayek told the ABC on Thursday.

‘This is no time for us to seek division at the moment and, unfortunately, Pauline Hanson loves a stunt and she did exactly that.’

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
President Donald Trump speaks to reporters aboard Air Force One shortly before takeoff, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026, at Joint Base Andrews, Md.

Donald Trump Expresses Deep Sadness Over Andrew’s Arrest

“I believe it’s a real pity. It’s a great misfortune and quite…
Former MP on trial for alleged child abuse in car park bathroom

Ex-MP Faces Court Over Shocking Child Abuse Allegations in Car Park Restroom

A former politician accused of sexually abusing a young teen in a…
Prince Andrew arrives for the funeral of the Duchess of Kent at Westminster Cathedral in London, Tuesday, Sept. 16, 2025.

Ancient Law Resurfaces: The Legal Twist that Threatens Prince Andrew with a Life Sentence

However, the charge he was arrested on suspicion of, misconduct in public…

Possum Alert: The Unseen Indicator of Australia’s Looming Extinction Crisis

In Brief The lemuroid ringtail possum is one of 34 species that…

Tragic California Avalanche Claims Eight Lives, One Skier Still Unaccounted For

In brief The avalanche swept the Castle Peak area of Truckee, California,…

Trump Convenes Inaugural ‘Board of Peace’ Meeting, Pledges Aid for Gaza

Key Points Donald Trump inaugurated his “Board of Peace” with a pledge…
Prince Andrew, Duke of York during the funeral of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh at Windsor Castle on April 17, 2021 in Windsor, England

Breaking Down the Key Events Leading to Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s Arrest: A Comprehensive Timeline

The arrest of a man in his 60s in Norfolk by Thames…

Trump Promises to Unveil UFO and Alien Secrets: What Could Be Revealed?

IN BRIEF Trump’s move comes after former US president Barack Obama said…

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Taken into Custody

Even after being stripped of his official titles by his brother, King…
Lucy Hughes Pokemon card collector

Meet Lucy: The Pokémon Card Trader Surpassing Her 9-to-5 Income

Lucy Hughes has turned her nostalgic “hobby” into a six-figure salary. Hughes…
Huge chunk of Central Australia to receive drenching

Central Australia Set for Major Downpour: What This Means for the Region

Central Australia is bracing for potential isolation due to an impending deluge…

NT Hit-and-Run Driver Dodges Jail Time Once More Despite Prosecutors’ Appeal for Tougher Sentence

Warning: This article contains distressing content and mentions the names of deceased…