Internewscast Journal
  • Home
  • US News
  • Local News
  • Health
  • People
  • Guest Post
  • Support Our Cause
Internewscast Journal
  • Home
  • US News
  • Local News
  • Health
  • People
  • Guest Post
  • Support Our Cause
Home Local news Sudan’s Leader Presents Peace Proposal at UN; US Calls for Immediate Humanitarian Ceasefire
  • Local news

Sudan’s Leader Presents Peace Proposal at UN; US Calls for Immediate Humanitarian Ceasefire

    Sudan's prime minister takes his peace plan to the UN, but US urges humanitarian truce now
    Up next
    Jonathan Quick playing better than last season and Rangers are wasting it
    Jonathan Quick’s Stellar Comeback: Rangers Struggle to Capitalize on Elite Goaltending Performance
    Published on 23 December 2025
    Author
    Internewscast
    Tags
    • but,
    • Donald Trump,
    • his,
    • humanitarian,
    • Jeffrey Bartos,
    • Kamil Idris,
    • minister,
    • Mohamed Abushahab,
    • Now,
    • peace,
    • plan,
    • prime,
    • Sudan039s,
    • Takes,
    • The,
    • truce,
    • urges,
    • world news
    Share this @internewscast.com
    FacebookXRedditPinterest


    TANZANIA – In a bid to quell a devastating conflict that has persisted for nearly 1,000 days, Sudan’s Prime Minister has unveiled a comprehensive peace initiative aimed at resolving the war with a rival paramilitary faction. Despite this, the United States has urged both parties to heed the Trump administration’s call for an immediate humanitarian ceasefire.

    Kamil Idris, the leader of Sudan’s transitional civilian government, presented his plan to the United Nations Security Council. The proposal includes a ceasefire to be overseen by the United Nations, African Union, and Arab League. It also demands the withdrawal of paramilitary forces from occupied territories, their relocation to monitored camps, and subsequent disarmament.

    This conflict erupted into chaos in April 2023 due to a power struggle between the military and the Rapid Support Forces (RSF), a formidable paramilitary group. The ensuing violence has resulted in mass atrocities, including widespread killings and rapes, often driven by ethnic motivations. The United Nations and international human rights organizations have classified these acts as war crimes and crimes against humanity.

    The prime minister’s initiative, however, faces skepticism. It is improbable that the RSF will embrace a plan that effectively hands victory to government forces while stripping the paramilitary group of its military influence.

    Addressing the U.N. Security Council, Idris emphasized that the government’s proposal was independently crafted, in what seemed a veiled response to the truce advocated by the U.S. and the so-called Quad—Saudi Arabia, Egypt, and the United Arab Emirates. Idris asserted that the proposal is “homemade — not imposed on us.”

    Earlier in November, the Rapid Support Forces had agreed to a humanitarian truce. At that juncture, a Sudanese military official informed The Associated Press that while the army was open to the Quad’s proposal, it would only consent to a ceasefire if the RSF withdrew entirely from civilian areas and surrendered their arms—conditions central to Idris’s plan presented on Monday.

    Idris said unless the paramilitary forces were confined to camps, a truce had “no chance for success.” He challenged the 15 members of the Security Council to back his proposal.

    “This initiative can mark the moment when Sudan steps back from the edge and the international community — You! You! — stood on the right side of history,” the Sudanese prime minister said. He said the council should “be remembered not as a witness to collapse, but as a partner in recovery.”

    U.S. deputy ambassador Jeffrey Bartos, who spoke to the council before Idris, said the Trump administration has offered a humanitarian truce as a way forward and “We urge both belligerents to accept this plan without preconditions immediately.”

    Bartos said the Trump administration strongly condemns the horrific violence across Darfur and the Kordofan region — and the atrocities committed by both the Sudanese Armed Forces and the Rapid Support Forces, who must be held accountable.

    UAE Ambassador Mohamed Abushahab, a member of the Quad, said there is an immediate opportunity to implement the humanitarian truce and get aid to Sudanese civilians in desperate need.

    “Lessons of history and present realities make it clear that unilateral efforts by either of the warring parties are not sustainable and will only prolong the war,” he warned.

    Abushahab said a humanitarian truce must be followed by a permanent ceasefire “and a pathway towards civilian rule independent of the warring parties.”

    U.N. Assistant Secretary-General for political affairs Khaled Khiari reflected escalating council concerns about the Sudan war, which has been fueled by the continuing supply of increasingly sophisticated weapons.

    He criticized unnamed countries that refuse to stop supplying weapons, and both government and paramilitary forces for remaining unwilling to compromise or de-escalate.

    “While they were able to stop fighting to preserve oil revenues, they have so far failed to do the same to protect their population,” Khiari said. “The backers of both sides must use their influence to help stop the slaughter, not to cause further devastation.”

    The devastating war in Sudan has killed more than 40,000 people according to U.N. figures, but aid groups say the true number could be many times higher. The conflict has created the world’s largest humanitarian crisis, with over 14 million people displaced, disease outbreaks and famine spreading in parts of the country.

    Copyright 2025 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.

    Share this @internewscast.com
    FacebookXRedditPinterest
    You May Also Like

    Firefighters Battle Expanding 31-Acre Wildfire on Clinch Mountain in Grainger County

    BLAINE, Tenn. (WATE) — Over the weekend, firefighters battled a wildfire that…
    • Internewscast
    • February 16, 2026
    PHOTOS: ‘Sprawling’ 4-alarm blaze sparked by brush fire rips through Osceola County business
    • Local news

    PHOTO GALLERY: Intense 4-Alarm Fire, Ignited by Brush Blaze, Engulfs Osceola County Business

    OSCEOLA COUNTY, Fla. – A fierce four-alarm fire tore through a business…
    • Internewscast
    • February 16, 2026
    FBI: DNA recovered from glove found near Guthrie home that appears to match glove worn by suspect
    • Local news

    FBI Links DNA from Glove Found Near Guthrie Residence to Suspect

    In a development that has left authorities working around the clock, investigators…
    • Internewscast
    • February 15, 2026
    TIMELINE: When do storms arrive in Central Florida? Hour-by-hour look at what’s ahead
    • Local news

    Central Florida Storm Forecast: Detailed Hourly Timeline of Upcoming Weather Conditions

    ORLANDO, Fla. – Residents of northwestern counties are facing a level-two risk…
    • Internewscast
    • February 15, 2026

    Tennessee Lawmakers Advocate for Tax Relief: Waiving Hotel Occupancy Taxes for Displaced Families

    In the aftermath of Middle Tennessee’s unprecedented ice storm, the Wear family…
    • Internewscast
    • February 16, 2026
    LIVE RADAR: Central Florida’s elevated severe storm risk. What you need watch for
    • Local news

    Live Radar Update: What Central Florida Residents Need to Know About the Increased Severe Storm Threat

    ORLANDO, Fla. – The eagerly anticipated Daytona 500 was able to cross…
    • Internewscast
    • February 16, 2026
    Rubio meets Orbán in Budapest as US and Hungary are to sign a civilian nuclear pact
    • Local news

    Rubio and Orbán Convene in Budapest Ahead of US-Hungary Civilian Nuclear Agreement Signing

    BUDAPEST – On Monday, U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio arrived in…
    • Internewscast
    • February 16, 2026
    Man who couldn't get NHS space takes 14 trains and buses to Turkey for dentist
    • Health

    UK Man Embarks on 14-Stop Journey to Turkey for Dental Care Amid NHS Delays

    Nick Bishop with his son, Jordan (Image: Jordan Bishop/SWNS) A man who…
    • Internewscast
    • February 16, 2026
    Beckham Beckham shares tribute to wife Nicola Peltz amid family feud
    • News

    David Beckham Posts Heartfelt Message to Nicola Peltz Amidst Family Tensions

    Brooklyn Beckham has recently emphasized his unwavering commitment to “always…
    • Internewscast
    • February 16, 2026
    Witkoff and Kushner reportedly tell Trump nuclear deal with Iran 'difficult to impossible'
    • US

    Experts Witkoff and Kushner Advise Trump: Iran Nuclear Deal Faces Major Hurdles

    Advisors close to President Trump have reportedly cautioned him about the significant…
    • Internewscast
    • February 16, 2026
    White House unveils cheeky Valentine’s Day cards featuring Maduro, Rubio and the shutdown sombrero
    • US

    White House Unveils Playful Valentine’s Day Cards Featuring Political Cartoons: A Satirical Spin on Maduro, Rubio & Shutdown Drama

    In a playful twist, the White House unveiled a collection of humorous…
    • Internewscast
    • February 16, 2026
    Internewscast Journal
    • Home
    • Privacy Policy
    • DMCA Notice
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Guest Post
    • Support Our Cause
    Copyright 2023. All Right Reserverd.