'Help is on its way': Trump urges Iranians to keep protesting
Share this @internewscast.com
US President Donald Trump urged Iranians on Tuesday to keep protesting and said help was on the way, without giving details, as Iran’s clerical establishment pressed its crackdown against the biggest demonstrations in years.
“Iranian Patriots, KEEP PROTESTING – TAKE OVER YOUR INSTITUTIONS!!!… HELP IS ON ITS WAY,” Trump said in a post on Truth Social, adding he had cancelled all meetings with Iranian officials until the “senseless killing” of protesters stopped.

The turmoil driven by severe economic hardships has emerged as the most significant internal challenge to Iran’s leadership in over three years. This unrest coincides with mounting international tensions following Israeli and US military actions last year.

Fires are lit as protesters rally on January 8, 2026 in Tehran, Iran. Demonstrations have been ongoing since December, triggered by soaring inflation and the collapse of the rial, and have expanded into broader demands for political change. (Photo by Anonymous/Getty Images) (Getty)
Following the US president’s post, Iranian security chief Ali Larijani said on social media platform X that Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu were the “main killers” of the Iranian people.

For the first time, an Iranian official has disclosed that approximately 2,000 individuals have lost their lives in the protests that have swept across the nation for more than two weeks. However, the official did not provide a detailed breakdown of these figures.

According to the US-based human rights organization HRANA, of the 2,003 confirmed fatalities, 1,850 were participants in the protests.

The group further reported that 16,784 individuals have been detained, marking a significant increase from their previous count earlier in the week.

A crowd gathers during a pro-government rally on January 12, 2026 in Tehran, Iran. Tens of thousands of demonstrators gathered in Tehran’s Enqelab Square on Monday, as Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, speaker of the Iranian parliament, made a speech denouncing western intervention in Iran, following ongoing anti-government protests. In recent days, US President Donald Trump has repeatedly threatened military action if Iranian security forces kill protesters. (Photo by Majid S (Getty)

On Monday night, President Trump announced a 25% import tariff on goods from any nation conducting business with Iran, a significant oil supplier. He also mentioned that additional military measures are among the potential responses he is considering in reaction to Iran’s crackdown on the protests.

While Tehran has yet to publicly address Trump’s tariff announcement, China quickly condemned the move. Iran, already under stringent US sanctions, primarily exports its oil to China, alongside other key trading partners like Turkey, Iraq, the United Arab Emirates, and India.

Iran’s foreign minister Abbas Araqchi said on Monday he had continued to communicate with US special envoy Steve Witkoff during the protests and that Tehran was studying ideas proposed by Washington.

Russia condemns ‘subversive external interference’

Iranian authorities have accused the US and Israel of fomenting the unrest.

Russia on Tuesday condemned what it described as “subversive external interference” in Iran’s internal politics, saying any repeat of last year’s US strikes would have “disastrous consequences” for the Middle East and international security.

Despite the protests, the economic strains, and years of external pressure, there are as yet no signs of fracture in the security elite that could bring down the clerical system in power since a 1979 Islamic Revolution.

Protesters block a road on January 8, 2026 in Tehran, Iran. Demonstrations have been ongoing since December, triggered by soaring inflation and the collapse of the rial, and have expanded into broader demands for political change. (Photo by Anonymous/Getty Images) (Getty)

Britain, France, Germany and Italy all summoned Iranian ambassadors in protest over the crackdown.

“The brutal actions of the Iranian regime against its own people are shocking,” the German Foreign Ministry said on social media platform X.

Underscoring international uncertainty over what comes next in Iran, which has been one of the dominant powers across the Middle East for decades, German Chancellor Friedrich Merz said he believed the government would fall.

“I assume that we are now witnessing the final days and weeks of this regime,” he said, adding that if it had to maintain power through violence, “it is effectively at its end”.

He did not expand on whether this forecast was based on intelligence or other assessments.

Demonstrators gather on January 8, 2026 in Tehran, Iran. Demonstrations have been ongoing since December, triggered by soaring inflation and the collapse of the rial, and have expanded into broader demands for political change. (Photo by Anonymous/Getty Images) (Getty)

Araqchi dismissed Merz’s criticisms, accusing Berlin of double standards and saying he had “obliterated any shred of credibility”.

Rights group says man accused in protest set to be executed

The protests began on December 28 over the fall in value of the currency and have grown into wider demonstrations and calls for the fall of the clerical establishment.

Iran’s authorities have taken a dual approach, cracking down while also calling protests over economic problems legitimate.

Hengaw, an Iranian Kurdish rights group, has reported that a 26-year-old man, Erfan Soltani, arrested in connection with protests in the city of Karaj, will be executed on Wednesday. Authorities had told the family that the death sentence was final, Hengaw reported, citing a source close to the family.

Reuters could not independently confirm the report. State media has not reported any death sentences so far.

The head of Iran’s judiciary has said specialied courts have been appointed to deal with protests.

Protesters march on a bridge in Tehran, Iran, on Dec. 29, 2025
Protesters march on a bridge in Tehran, Iran, on Dec. 29, 2025 (Fars News Agency via AP)

Parliament member Mohammadreza Sabaghian, who represents an area in Yazd, in central Iran, said the government needed to resolve people’s dissatisfaction, otherwise “the same events will occur with greater intensity”.

Communications restrictions including an internet blackout have hampered the flow of information. The UN rights office said phone services had been restored but internet links with Iran remained patchy.

The Iranian Intelligence Ministry said it had confiscated electronic devices intended to be used in the protests, according to a statement carried by state media.

Hengaw reported that authorities had started to confiscate communications devices from households in several cities.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
President Donald Trump speaks during a press briefing at the White House on Friday, February 20 in Washington.

Trump to Boost Tariffs to 15% Following Game-Changing Supreme Court Decision

President Donald Trump said on Saturday that he wants a global tariff…

From Pilot to Disgraced Figure: The Transformation of Former Prince Andrew

In Brief Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested on Thursday after police previously said…
Jayden Ansara had to act quick when his mother collapsed after having a brain aneurysm.

Young Boy Honored with Bravery Award for Heroic Act in Saving Mother’s Life

A nine-year-old boy who helped save his mother’s life by calling Triple…
Melonie Mckay was run over in her own driveway after allegedly getting into an argument with her neighbour.

Grandmother’s Tragic Death: Man Faces Murder Charges in Alleged Hit-and-Run

A man has been charged with murder after allegedly running over his…

ASIO: No Passport Bans for Women Allegedly Linked to IS, Confirms Burke

Australian authorities are grappling with the dilemma of whether to allow the…

Police Sergeant Faces Double Drink-Driving Allegations in Single Day

An off-duty police officer has been charged after allegedly being caught drink…
U.S. Army soldiers exit a Black Hawk at the Truckee Tahoe Airport in Truckee, Calif., Saturday, Feb. 21, 2026, after aiding in recovery efforts for a group of skiers who went missing during a deadly avalanche. (AP Photo/Godofredo A. Vásquez)

Tragic Discovery: Bodies of 9 Backcountry Skiers Recovered After California Avalanche

Nine backcountry skiers tragically lost their lives in an avalanche near California’s…
Wellington Phoenix goalie Josh Oluwayemi (bottom right) has gone viral after he made a mind-boggling mistake in his side's 5-0 loss to Auckland on Saturday

Aussie Footballer’s Unforgettable Mistake Sparks Coach’s Sudden Resignation

Footballer Josh Oluwayemi has captured attention for a blunder that contributed significantly…

Unlocking the Migration Debate: Five Insightful Charts Reveal the Optimal ‘Sweet Spot

In the wake of the recent Bondi terror incident and the ongoing…

Is Trump Challenging the Global Rules-Based Order? Understanding the Implications

German Chancellor Friedrich Merz recently joined a growing number of world leaders…
More than 1500 alkaloid poppy plant heads were stolen from the Ballarat farm recently.

Urgent Health Alert Issued Following Theft of 1,700 Toxic Poppy Plants from Confidential Farm Location

Health authorities are raising the alarm after around 1700 toxic poppy plants…

Donald Trump Elevates Global Tariffs to 15% Maximum, Marking Temporary Increase

In a surprising twist, President Donald Trump announced his decision to increase…