Share this @internewscast.com

The Biden administration is increasingly leaning on Mexico to curb the record flow of migrants crossing into the U.S., but Mexico has its own lists of ambitious asks for the U.S., say officials from both governments familiar with the discussions.

Previous measures taken by the Biden administration to stem the migrant surge have led to only temporary dips in the numbers, and in late December, Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas and Secretary of State Antony Blinken went to Mexico to meet with Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador to ask for greater assistance. Those conversations were “preliminary,” the officials said, and did not result in hard promises from either side.

In a press conference on Friday, López Obrador called on the U.S. to approve a plan that would deploy $20 billion to Latin American and Caribbean countries, suspend the U.S. blockade of Cuba, remove all sanctions against Venezuela and grant at least 10 million Hispanics living in the U.S. the right to remain and work legally.

All of those are extremely tall demands of an administration headed into a re-election campaign that may hinge on how firmly Biden is able to get control of the southern U.S. border, which saw a record 300,000 migrants processed by Customs and Border Protection in December.

Responding to those requests, a senior Biden administration official told NBC News that AMLO, as López Obrador is commonly called, “has a very ambitious agenda. For some of these things, we would need Congress to act. We share the vision that we need to lift up the region.”

The two countries are expected to continue talks in Washington later this month. Mexico brings significant leverage to the negotiations, the U.S. and Mexican officials said. López Obrador’s administration would prefer that President Joe Biden win re-election in November, given Donald Trump’s rhetoric and actions during his time in office. But Biden is quickly running out of options to fix a problem that is driving down his poll numbers without increased support from Mexico, three U.S. officials told NBC News.

On Capitol Hill, negotiations over border security measures between Republicans and Democrats continue into their second month with no clear breakthrough. And new asylum policies introduced by the Biden administration in May failed to deter migrants, as evidenced by the record surge.

To bring the numbers down, the Biden administration needs Mexico to let it push more non-Mexican immigrants back across the U.S. southern border, as the U.S. was able to do through early 2023.

During the Covid pandemic, the Trump and Biden administrations used a public health order known as Title 42 to push migrants back into Mexico without an asylum screening. During that policy, which ended in May, Mexico took back migrants over 1 million times each year for three years. Under current policies, Mexico has agreed to take back 30,000 migrants per month, but that is only 10% of December’s tally.

U.S. negotiators also want Mexico to step up enforcement on its southern border with Guatemala and deport more migrants who are apprehended within the country.

Mexico is willing to help the U.S. by increasing enforcement, one Mexican official told NBC News, though no numbers have been discussed so far. Mexico and the U.S. recently resumed deportation flights of Venezuelans, one of the top one or two nationalities now trying to cross into the U.S.

The senior administration official told NBC News that although there have been few flights so far, both countries expect to increase deportations to Venezuela this year. According to ICE flight data, there were 11 total deportation flights from the U.S. to Venezuela in 2023, but now there is one per week scheduled. Mexico said it restarted deportations to Venezuela on Dec. 30.

In return for its cooperation, the officials said, Mexico wants more financial aid for policing its borders. But Mexican officials said Mexico also wants the U.S. to show good faith about addressing the root causes of migration by investing more in programs to help Central and South American countries escape poverty. In many ways, Mexico sees itself as a byway country caught in the middle of a U.S. problem as most migrants are U.S.-bound, the senior administration official said.

The López Obrador administration did not respond to a request for comment.

While Title 42 was in effect, many shelters in northern Mexican cities like Juárez, Tijuana and Reynosa became overwhelmed with migrants, and many of them were forced onto the streets, where they were subjected to torture, extortion, rape and kidnapping. The legacy of Title 42 as well as Trump’s “Remain in Mexico” policy, which forced asylum-seekers to wait in camps in northern Mexico, left Mexico with depleted resources and an aversion to taking in more migrants than its cities can handle.

Migration began to grow after the lifting of Title 42, and by late 2023, Mexico’s version of U.S. Border Patrol, the National Institute of Migration, was running out of funds for enforcement.

The issue of immigration now looms so large between the U.S. and Mexico, said the officials, that talks about fentanyl smuggling, another priority, have been all but sidelined for the moment.


Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
What does the future hold for Jets QB Justin Fields after benching?

Future Uncertain: What’s Next for Jets’ Quarterback Justin Fields After Recent Bench?

The future of Justin Fields with the New York Jets remains shrouded…
Tinsel, Taps and 'Tinis | A new initiative to explore Downtown Jacksonville

Discover Downtown Jacksonville: Sip, Shop, and Celebrate with Tinsel & Tinis

Downtown Vision has launched an initiative designed to introduce residents to the…
WATCH: Trump Blasts Reporter over National Guard Shooting Question

WATCH: Trump Criticizes Reporter in Response to National Guard Shooting Inquiry

President Donald Trump did not shy away from expressing his frustration during…
Cheerleader who died aboard Carnival cruise ship cremated, death certificate reveals

Tragic Cruise Incident: Cheerleader’s Brave Battle Sparks Federal Investigation into Stepbrother

The tragic death of 18-year-old Anna Kepner aboard a Carnival Cruise ship…
Mike Brown: Knicks’ Jalen Brunson belongs in MVP conversation

NBA Insight: Mike Brown Advocates for Jalen Brunson’s Spot in MVP Race with New York Knicks

New York Knicks head coach Mike Brown is championing his star point…
2 National Guard members shot in an ambush attack blocks from the White House

Suspect in National Guard Shooting Charged with First-Degree Murder Following Death; Second Victim Remains Critical

The charges against a 29-year-old former CIA collaborator in Afghanistan have been…
Sheriff slams law enforcement agencies for releasing illegal immigrant who allegedly hit Ohio nurse

Sheriff Criticizes Law Enforcement Agencies Over Release of Undocumented Immigrant Accused in Ohio Nurse Incident

In a recent incident that has sparked outrage, an Ohio sheriff criticized…
NFL news: Chicago Bears beat defending Super Bowl champions, Philadelphia Eagles, 24-15 on the road, advance to 9-3

Chicago Bears Triumph Over Super Bowl Champs Eagles, Secure 9-3 Record with Dominant Road Win

Kyle Monangai delivered a standout performance, rushing for 130 yards and securing…
Utah death row inmate with dementia dies of natural causes 3 months after execution was halted

Utah Death Row Inmate with Dementia Passes Away of Natural Causes Months After Execution Delay

A Utah man, who had been on death row for nearly four…
US dramatically escalates Somalia airstrikes as Trump admin targets ISIS, al Qaeda terrorists

US Intensifies Airstrikes in Somalia, Targeting ISIS and al Qaeda Forces

JOHANNESBURG: The frequency of U.S. airstrikes targeting jihadi extremists in Somalia has…
Maduro brandishes sword at rally as he rails against 'imperialist aggression' amid rising tensions with US

Maduro’s Fiery Rally: Sword-Wielding Protest Against U.S. ‘Imperialist Aggression

Earlier this week in Caracas, Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro delivered a bold…
President Donald Trump says he's terminating all orders Joe Biden signed with autopen

President Donald Trump Announces Plans to Revoke All Autopen-Signed Orders by Joe Biden

In a bold proclamation from the nation’s capital, former President Donald Trump…