Share this @internewscast.com


In brief

  • NSW Police commissioner Mal Lanyon said he was satisfied there was no need to extend the restrictions by another two weeks.
  • The organisers of a rally protesting Isaac Herzog’s Australian visit are still pursuing a constitutional challenge to the laws.

In a significant development, the stringent protest restrictions implemented following the December terror attack in Bondi have been officially lifted. On Tuesday, NSW Police Commissioner Mal Lanyon announced that the special powers, which had limited public gatherings in certain parts of Sydney, were no longer necessary.

This decision comes shortly after a week of heightened tensions, where authorities forcefully dispersed protests against the visit of Israeli President Isaac Herzog to Australia. The demonstrations were marked by police using physical force and pepper spray on protestors, sparking considerable controversy.

In response to these events, the state’s police watchdog has launched an investigation after receiving numerous complaints alleging police misconduct during the anti-Herzog rally.

The protest limitations were initially introduced on Christmas Eve during an emergency session of the NSW parliament and had been extended several times since then.

Commissioner Lanyon noted that the latest extension of these restrictions was directly linked to President Herzog’s visit, emphasizing the importance of maintaining peace and order within the community.

The visit of the Israeli president had driven the latest extension of protest restrictions, Lanyon said, as he urged the community to be calm.

“We had the visit of a head of state; I had significant concerns about the safety of the community in managing the visit of a head of state (and) the movement of Jewish Australians who were there,” he said.

“I’m satisfied the conditions that led to the extension last time do not exist now, and I’m more than happy for (police) to work with protesters.”

Organisers of the 9 February rally are pressing on with a constitutional challenge in the NSW Court of Appeal to stop the laws from being used if a future terror attack is declared.

“The police commissioner was explicit that these undemocratic powers were all about “protecting” Herzog from “significant animosity” and mass protest,” the Palestine Action Group said.

“Protesters who had nowhere to go were pepper-sprayed, assaulted, injured and arrested by an out-of-control police force who thought they could act with impunity.”

How do the laws work?

The laws were rushed through NSW parliament after the deadly 14 December Bondi shooting and gave the commissioner the ability to limit protests after a declared terrorist incident.

The restrictions cover two-week periods, which can then be extended up to a total of three months.

Lanyon deployed his powers almost immediately, restricting protests across Sydney for two weeks from Christmas Eve.

The restrictions were later relaxed to cover areas that included most of the city centre and large parts of the eastern suburbs, including Bondi. They were extended by Lanyon multiple times.

Despite the fiery demonstration at Sydney’s Town Hall, where both police and protesters were hospitalised, Lanyon argued the use of the laws had been a success.

Under the restrictions, protesters at Town Hall were not allowed to march to parliament as they had intended. The event was also policed under a major events declaration that gave authorities powers to clear the area at their determination.

No officers have been stood down due to alleged police brutality, Lanyon said.


For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Posties told to stop wearing uniforms amid reports they're getting sunburnt

Postal Workers Advised to Ditch Uniforms Due to Sunburn Concerns

Australia Post has advised its postal workers to refrain from wearing their…

Trump Convenes Inaugural ‘Board of Peace’ Meeting, Pledges Aid for Gaza

Key Points Donald Trump inaugurated his “Board of Peace” with a pledge…

Tragic California Avalanche Claims Eight Lives, One Skier Still Unaccounted For

In brief The avalanche swept the Castle Peak area of Truckee, California,…

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Taken into Custody

Even after being stripped of his official titles by his brother, King…
Huge chunk of Central Australia to receive drenching

Central Australia Set for Major Downpour: What This Means for the Region

Central Australia is bracing for potential isolation due to an impending deluge…

Trump Promises to Unveil UFO and Alien Secrets: What Could Be Revealed?

IN BRIEF Trump’s move comes after former US president Barack Obama said…

Possum Alert: The Unseen Indicator of Australia’s Looming Extinction Crisis

In Brief The lemuroid ringtail possum is one of 34 species that…
President Donald Trump speaks to reporters aboard Air Force One shortly before takeoff, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026, at Joint Base Andrews, Md.

Donald Trump Expresses Deep Sadness Over Andrew’s Arrest

“I believe it’s a real pity. It’s a great misfortune and quite…
Lucy Hughes Pokemon card collector

Meet Lucy: The Pokémon Card Trader Surpassing Her 9-to-5 Income

Lucy Hughes has turned her nostalgic “hobby” into a six-figure salary. Hughes…
Prince Andrew, Duke of York during the funeral of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh at Windsor Castle on April 17, 2021 in Windsor, England

Breaking Down the Key Events Leading to Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s Arrest: A Comprehensive Timeline

The arrest of a man in his 60s in Norfolk by Thames…
Police return to royal homes after ex-Prince Andrew's arrest

Police Presence Intensifies at Royal Residences Following Former Prince Andrew’s Arrest

The brother of King Charles III was taken into custody on his…
Former MP on trial for alleged child abuse in car park bathroom

Ex-MP Faces Court Over Shocking Child Abuse Allegations in Car Park Restroom

A former politician accused of sexually abusing a young teen in a…