Cruise pauses self-driving car fleet after CA revokes permits

The General Motors-owned tech startup Cruise said Thursday it was pausing all driverless operations across the U.S. The announcement came two days after the California DMV revoked Cruise’s permits to operate its fleet of autonomous vehicles following a crash in San Francisco where one of its cars dragged a pedestrian for 20 feet while she was pinned underneath the vehicle. 

Cruise said it was pausing nationwide to try to “rebuild public trust” after the California Department of Motor Vehicles also accused the company of failing to disclose the full details of the Oct. 2 collision. 

“In that spirit, we have decided to proactively pause driverless operations across all of our fleets while we take time to examine our processes, systems, and tools and reflect on how we can better operate in a way that will earn public trust,” Cruise said in a post on X

In addition to California, Cruise operates in Arizona, Florida and Texas, according to a company spokesperson. Officials in those four states did not immediately respond to requests for comment Friday.

Arizona had previously said it was monitoring the developments in California. Texas has no permitting process for autonomous vehicles, allowing companies such as Cruise to operate under state law similar to human-operated vehicles, according to the Texas DMV. Florida also has no permitting process.

In the Oct. 2 crash, a human who was driving in a lane next to a Cruise car struck a pedestrian, tossing the pedestrian into the path of the driverless Cruise, according to San Francisco police. The Cruise vehicle used its brakes but didn’t have enough time to avoid running over the pedestrian, the company said. 

The Cruise vehicle stopped but then started again and drove 20 feet with the pedestrian under the car, according to a Cruise statement this week. Cruise said it shared the full video with state officials, but California DMV officials said they didn’t learn about the pedestrian being pulled under the car until another unspecified government agency told them. 

Cruise said its vehicles are programmed to pull over in risky situations to ensure safety in compliance with California regulations. 

The human driver who initially struck the pedestrian fled the scene and has not been located, according to Cruise. The pedestrian was taken to a hospital afterward in critical condition. 

The incident was a rare example of a self-driving car involved in a serious injury, providing ammunition to critics of the technology who say it’s not safe. Supporters of driverless technology have argued that it has the potential to be much safer than human drivers, given that about 40,000 people die in the U.S. in traffic accidents each year. 

Cruise, based in San Francisco, is one of two driverless car startups that has been operating a commercial ride-hailing service in the city — like the services of Lyft or Uber, but with no human drivers in the cars. 

A Cruise spokesperson said Friday she had no other details to share, such as how long the voluntary freeze might last.

The other startup with a service in San Francisco, Google-affiliated Waymo, was unaffected by California’s decision. Waymo has operations in other states, too. The company did not immediately respond to a request for comment Friday on how the Cruise incident was affecting their thinking and their research. 

Cruise said that the decision Thursday to halt all operations was not related to “any new on-road incidents” and that it would continue operating cars with safety drivers inside the cars. 

“We think it’s the right thing to do during a period when we need to be extra vigilant when it comes to risk, relentlessly focused on safety, & taking steps to rebuild public trust,” the company said on X. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Cryptic Clue May Put California Teen Murder Suspect in Adult Court - Internewscast Journal

Cryptic Clue May Put California Teen Murder Suspect in Adult Court

A mysterious graffiti mark found above the battered body of 18-year-old Max…
Louisiana Man Accused of Killing Wife, Driving Across States With Her Body - Internewscast Journal

Louisiana Man Accused of Killing Wife, Driving Across States With Her Body

FBI touts historic violent crime drop as Trump praises law enforcement Fox…
Virginia State University Shooting Wounds 5; Police Hunt Gunmen - Internewscast Journal

Virginia State University Shooting Wounds 5; Police Hunt Gunmen

Police are looking for additional people who discharged firearms during a shooting…
Why Diego Garcia Is Integral to US Strategy in Iran War - Internewscast Journal

Why Diego Garcia Is Integral to US Strategy in Iran War

Iran fires missiles toward US-UK military base President Trump’s warning that he…
Harvard Professor Faces Backlash for Allegedly Using AI to Draft Anti-Trump Op-Ed - Internewscast Journal

Harvard Professor Faces Backlash for Allegedly Using AI to Draft Anti-Trump Op-Ed

A Harvard professor is facing scrutiny after critics alleged that a Financial…
Biden-Pardoned Drug Trafficker Arrested in Fentanyl Case - Internewscast Journal

Biden-Pardoned Drug Trafficker Arrested in Fentanyl Case

An Atlanta man whose federal fentanyl sentence was commuted by former President…
California Farmer Loses Court Fight With Fruit Giant Giumarra - Internewscast Journal

California Farmer Loses Court Fight With Fruit Giant Giumarra

A California farmer who drew nationwide attention for giving away thousands of…
Venice Residents Hire Former MS-13 Members as Homeless Crisis Deepens - Internewscast Journal

Venice Residents Hire Former MS-13 Members as Homeless Crisis Deepens

Frustrated residents in an upscale Venice Beach neighborhood have turned to an…
Australia Announces Sweeping Gun Buyback After Bondi Beach Terror Attack as Push for Sensible Reform Grows - Internewscast Journal

Australia Announces Sweeping Gun Buyback After Bondi Beach Terror Attack as Push for Sensible Reform Grows

New South Wales is preparing to launch Australia’s first state-run gun buyback…
El-Sayed’s Attack on Rogers Backfires in Michigan Senate Race - Internewscast Journal

El-Sayed’s Attack on Rogers Backfires in Michigan Senate Race

Michigan’s Senate contest is quickly becoming one of the most closely watched…
Trump’s World Liberty Wins Early Approval to Launch Crypto Bank - Internewscast Journal

Trump’s World Liberty Wins Early Approval to Launch Crypto Bank

A trust firm connected to the Trump family’s cryptocurrency venture, World Liberty…
Dawn of the Dead Actor’s Home Destroyed in Blaze Caught on Video - Internewscast Journal

Dawn of the Dead Actor’s Home Destroyed in Blaze Caught on Video

Tom Savini, the “Dawn of the Dead” star and celebrated horror effects…