Share this @internewscast.com

WASHINGTON — A top Senate Democrat is sounding the alarm about House Speaker Mike Johnson’s proposal to punt on government funding for another year, warning that the Senate won’t accept his “absolutely devastating” plan as it would force destructive cuts to the military and domestic programs.

Senate Appropriations Chair Patty Murray, D-Wash., said Johnson’s threatened plan would be “unprecedented” and cause “chaos and pain” across the United States.

She vowed that the Senate would not pass such a bill.

“Let me be clear: That is an absolute dangerous, non-starter proposal that will never be passed into law,” Murray told NBC News on Thursday as lawmakers were leaving town for the weekend. “I will not do that to people in America.”

Johnson recently told Republicans behind closed doors that if Congress fails to pass full funding bills before next year’s two-part government shutdown deadlines, he’ll push for a full-year continuing resolution or “CR,” according to the Washington Examiner. When asked, his office did not dispute the remarks.

A full-year CR would force across-the-board cuts in April, hitting the military harder than non-defense programs. And it would eliminate some $69 billion in domestic programs that were part of a side deal in June’s bipartisan budget agreement. Far-right House Republicans see that as a feature, not a bug, but many in the party are deeply uneasy about the military spending cuts.

Murray’s word carries weight in the Democratic-led chamber, given her position as committee chair, Senate President pro tempore and a former leadership member who’s respected across the aisle. Her warning raises the stakes for the early 2024 deadlines on government funding — Jan. 19 and Feb. 2 — and preview a confrontation with the Republican-led House, where conservatives want to curtail spending.

She accused Johnson of wasting time by failing to instruct House appropriators to negotiate bills at the spending levels both chambers and the White House agreed to in the budget accord enacted in June.

With few legislative days left before the end of the year, Johnson told colleagues in a letter Thursday he still wants a deal but that Congress has kicked the can twice since September and “I do not intend to have the House consider any further short-term extensions.” Johnson faces pressure from GOP hardliners after a group of them ousted his predecessor, Rep. Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., accusing him of mishandling the spending process.

Murray said that average Americans would feel the harmful impacts of a full-year CR with its across-the-board spending cuts.

“We’ll have huge distribution problems with the supply chain. We’ll have an inability to build new weapons systems that have been negotiated under our defenses. We’ll literally be fighting wars of the past and not of the future,” she said. “It will impact parts of [Americans’] life that they’ve never thought about before, whether it’s getting help from government agencies like the Social Security Administration or their ability to send their kids to college.”

Johnson’s office had no immediately comment when asked about the remarks from Murray, who has the backing of some Senate Republicans on her committee, too.

“I’m very opposed to one-year CR,” said Sen. John Boozman, R-Ark., who sits on the committee. “And I think that we’re going to work really hard to find some sort of agreement to prevent that.”

Sen. Susan Collins of Maine, the top Republican on the Appropriations Committee, said a full-year stopgap bill would amount to “essentially locking in last year’s priorities, continuing to fund programs that should not be funded or that should be reduced, and preventing the funding of new programs.”

Murray said she’s speaking up now to avoid a take-it-or-leave-it confrontation early next year.

“That’s exactly why I am yelling to the rooftops right now,” she said. “What he has done is set in motion a path to not get any work done if he doesn’t tell his Appropriations Committee to do their job and work with us to negotiate.”

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Illegal immigrant allegedly ambushed woman on Florida beach in random attempted drowning attack: police

Florida Beach Incident: Woman Targeted in Alleged Drowning Attempt by Suspect, Police Report

An undocumented immigrant is currently in custody following allegations of a late-night…
CIA rescinds 19 DEI-infused intel reports, including warning about women in traditional 'gender roles'

CIA Withdraws 19 Reports on Diversity and Gender Roles

WASHINGTON — The CIA has withdrawn more than a dozen intelligence reports…
Today in History: February 21, Figure skater Kristi Yamaguchi wins gold for the US

Relive February 21st: Kristi Yamaguchi’s Historic Gold Medal Triumph in Figure Skating

As we mark Saturday, February 21, 2026, it is the 52nd day…
Potential US military strikes on Iran could target specific individuals, pursue regime change: report

Report Suggests US Military Strikes on Iran May Focus on Key Figures and Regime Change

Recent reports suggest that the United States is contemplating military actions against…
White teens vindicated after woke Virginia professor accused them of hate crime -- for blasting rap music

Virginia Professor’s Hate Crime Allegation Against White Teens Dismissed in Case of Loud Rap Music

In a recent case that captured the attention of a Virginia community,…
Lake Tahoe ski deaths mount as two killed at Heavenly Mountain Resort -- days after avalanche

Tragic Ski Fatalities at Heavenly Mountain Resort: Two More Lives Lost Following Recent Avalanche

In the Lake Tahoe region, the tragic toll of skiing accidents continues…
Kentucky Lyft driver charged with sodomy, kidnapping now faces federal immigration detainer

Kentucky Lyft Driver Accused of Sodomy and Kidnapping Now Under Federal Immigration Detainer

A disturbing incident has surfaced in Kentucky involving a Lyft driver accused…
Twenty-five stolen cars, $300,000 cash and guns

Unveiled: Inside the Massive $300,000 Car Theft Operation with Arms and Cash Seizure

On Wednesday, Los Angeles authorities apprehended five individuals in Corona, accusing them…
Pritzker campaign letter demands $8.6 billion refund for Illinois families after SCOTUS strikes down Trump's sweeping tariffs

Pritzker Pushes for $8.6 Billion Refund for Illinois Families Following Supreme Court’s Tariff Ruling

CHICAGO (WLS) — Governor JB Pritzker’s campaign office issued a statement on…
Fentanyl exposure scare forces courtroom evacuation during active trial

Fentanyl Exposure Shocks Courtroom: Trial Halted Amid Emergency Evacuation

In Washington state, a courtroom evacuation took place on Thursday involving nearly…
Gif of students ransacking kroger

Viral Footage Captures Anti-ICE Student Walkout Escalating at Kroger, Sparking Calls for Prosecution

A video capturing students causing a commotion inside a Cincinnati Kroger on…
US Air Force's Richard Ramroop, husband allegedly stole $3M from government to fund lavish lifestyle, luxury cars and mansion

US Air Force Officer and Spouse Accused of $3M Fraud Scheme to Fund Opulent Lifestyle

An Air Force pharmacist from the United States and his spouse are…