WASHINGTON — President Trump said Tuesday that the Strait of Hormuz has been cleared of mines and reopened to traffic, while also declaring that no additional negotiations with Iran are planned after a 60-day talks window expired.
“There are no talks or conversations going on, or scheduled, with the Islamic Republic of Iran. The Naval Blockade remains in full force and effect,” Trump wrote in a post on Truth Social.
“The Hormuz Strait is open and operating. All water mines have been removed or detonated.”
Iran has spent months carrying out intermittent attacks and placing mines in an apparent effort to deter vessels from passing through the Strait of Hormuz, a vital global oil shipping route that, in peacetime, carries nearly one-fifth of the world’s seaborne crude.
Trump’s latest comments came a day after he warned Oman against assisting Tehran in any attempt to assert control over the strategically crucial waterway.
Earlier this month, Trump told Axios that his administration was “only semi-negotiating” with Iran, saying he expected mounting economic pressure from the continuing naval blockade to eventually weigh heavily on the theocratic regime.
This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.