North Korea fires suspected long-range ballistic missile into sea in first launch in a month

SEOUL, South Korea — North Korea fired a suspected long-range ballistic missile into the sea Monday in a resumption of its weapons testing activities, its neighbors said, as the North vows retaliatory steps against U.S. and South Korean moves to boost their nuclear deterrence plans.

South Korea’s military said in a statement that North Korea launched what appeared to be a long-range ballistic missile from its capital region Monday morning. It said South Korea maintain a readiness while exchanging information about the launch with U.S. and Japanese authorities.

Japan’s Defense Ministry said it also spotted a ballistic missile launch by North Korea. A ministry statement said that the missile was still in flight and that it was expected to land in waters outside the Japanese Exclusive Economic Zone.

Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida told reporters that he had so far received no report of injuries or damages from the missile launch and that he planned to hold a National Security Council meeting to discuss the test.

The launch came hours after South Korea reported North Korea conducted a short-range ballistic missile test into the sea Sunday night. It was the North’s first weapons launch in about a month.

Observers said the North’s back-to-back launches were likely a protest against the moves by South Korea and the United States to bolster their nuclear deterrence plans in the face of North Korea’s evolving nuclear threats.

Senior U.S. and South Korean officials met in Washington over the weekend and agreed to update their nuclear deterrence and contingency strategies and incorporate nuclear operation scenarios in their combined military exercises next summer.

On Sunday, North Korea’s Defense Ministry slammed its rivals’ move to include nuclear operation scenarios in their joint drills, describing it as an open threat to potentially use nuclear weapons against the North. It vowed to prepare unspecified “offensive countermeasures.”

“The armed forces of (North Korea) will thoroughly neutralize the U.S. and its vassal forces’ attempt to ignite a nuclear war,” the North Korean statement said. “Any attempt by the hostile forces to use armed force against (North Korea) will face a preemptive and deadly counteraction.”

Animosities between the two Koreas deepened after North Korea launched its first military reconnaissance satellite into space Nov. 21 in violation of U.N. bans.

South Korea, the U.S. and Japan strongly condemned the launch, viewing it as an attempt by the North to improve its missile technology as well as establish a space-based surveillance system.

South Korea announced plans to resume front-line aerial surveillance in response. North Korea quickly retaliated by restoring border guard posts, officials in Seoul said. Both steps would breach a 2018 inter-Korean deal on easing front-line military tensions.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Jared Kushner Issues Hamas Ultimatum: Disarm or Face Israeli Offensive Backed by US - Internewscast Journal

Jared Kushner Issues Hamas Ultimatum: Disarm or Face Israeli Offensive Backed by US

U.S. special envoy Jared Kushner issued a blunt warning to Hamas on…
Supporters Rally for Justice for Sweetie, Merced Husky, Amid Animal Cruelty Investigation - Internewscast Journal

Supporters Rally for Justice for Sweetie, Merced Husky, Amid Animal Cruelty Investigation

MERCED, Calif. — Animal welfare advocates and concerned residents rallied Friday outside…
Supreme Court Rejects Trump Bid to Revisit $5 Million E. Jean Carroll Verdict - Internewscast Journal

Supreme Court Rejects Trump Bid to Revisit $5 Million E. Jean Carroll Verdict

The Supreme Court on Monday refused, for a second time, to take…
Tupac Shakur Murder Trial Opens as Keffe D Faces Jury - Internewscast Journal

Tupac Shakur Murder Trial Opens as Keffe D Faces Jury

Opening statements have concluded in the murder trial of Duane “Keffe D”…
Babysitter Accused of Kidnapping Two Sisters Previously Charged in Newborn Abduction - Internewscast Journal

Babysitter Accused of Kidnapping Two Sisters Previously Charged in Newborn Abduction

A Georgia babysitter is in custody after authorities say she abducted two…
Texas Baby Born After Surrogate Refused Abortion Request Undergoes Complex Heart Surgery - Internewscast Journal

Texas Baby Born After Surrogate Refused Abortion Request Undergoes Complex Heart Surgery

A baby at the center of a high-profile surrogacy dispute has undergone…
California Homeowners Could Face Stricter Maintenance Rules Under Proposed New Law - Internewscast Journal

California Homeowners Could Face Stricter Maintenance Rules Under Proposed New Law

California homeowners living in areas with elevated wildfire danger could soon be…
Penn State Cocaine Bust: 14 Arrested Over Alleged Pledge Rituals - Internewscast Journal

Penn State Cocaine Bust: 14 Arrested Over Alleged Pledge Rituals

More than a dozen people with ties to Penn State are facing…
Missing Long Beach Jet Skier Found Alive After Night Search - Internewscast Journal

Missing Long Beach Jet Skier Found Alive After Night Search

A jet skier who vanished overnight off the coast of Long Beach…
Suffolk County Quietly Approves $4M Gunshot Detector Deal With Controversial Surveillance Firm - Internewscast Journal

Suffolk County Quietly Approves $4M Gunshot Detector Deal With Controversial Surveillance Firm

Suffolk County has quietly approved a five-year contract worth nearly $4 million…
Tupac Shakur Murder Trial Opens in Las Vegas Over Rapper’s 1996 Killing - Internewscast Journal

Tupac Shakur Murder Trial Opens in Las Vegas Over Rapper’s 1996 Killing

Nearly three decades after Tupac Shakur was gunned down in Las Vegas,…
House Ethics Committee Probes Rep. Jimmy Gomez Over Sexual Misconduct Allegations - Internewscast Journal

House Ethics Committee Probes Rep. Jimmy Gomez Over Sexual Misconduct Allegations

Washington — The House Ethics Committee said Monday that it is formally…