Paramedic denies giving cop fiery spray at Bondi Junction stabbing scene
Share this @internewscast.com

A high-ranking paramedic has admitted mistakes were made in blocking medical assistance from entering a shopping centre after a stabbing rampage.

Brett Armitage took control of paramedics in the aftermath of the April 2024 attack in which Joel Cauchi stabbed 16 people inside the Bondi Junction shopping centre, killing six.

Suspicions that there was a second assailant led to Armitage, a NSW Ambulance assistant commissioner, declaring the scene as a “hot zone”.

NSW Ambulance Assistant Commissioner Brent Armitage (left) arrives at the Lidcombe Coroners Court in Sydney, Wednesday, April 30, 2025
Brett Armitage (left) took control of paramedics in the aftermath of the April 2024 attack. (Nine)

The declaration, 52 minutes after Cauchi was shot dead, required paramedics inside to withdraw from the centre and barred other crews from entering.

At that time, police knew they were dealing with a single assailant but had not informed NSW Ambulance, an inquest into the attack has been told.

Armitage was quizzed today on a statement from a senior police officer at the scene who said he had been asked by a “senior commission paramedic” if the scene was still a “hot zone”.

The police officer responded it was “still an active crime scene” and was asked to explain why paramedics were still inside.

“If any of my paramedics get hurt or stabbed, it’s on your head,” the senior paramedic allegedly said.

Armitage “categorically” denied making the comment but stood by his decision to withdraw the paramedics from the centre.

NSW Critical Care Paramedic Christopher Wilkinson (right) departs the inquest today. (AAP)

The scene was never downgraded from a “hot zone”, which Armitage admitted should have occurred at 5pm when he knew there was not a second attacker.

Critical care paramedic Christopher Wilkinson said “confusion” on the ground meant paramedics were prevented from entering the shopping centre before the “hot zone” declaration.

“I stood there with my boots on the ground quite frustrated that people may well be dying upstairs and no one is doing anything medically for them,” the four-decade veteran paramedic said.

All injured people had been treated and removed from the building by 4.30pm and the declaration had no impact on the clinical outcomes of victims, the inquest was told.

The first of Cauchi’s victims, Dawn Singleton, asked bystanders to call an ambulance after she was stabbed.

Police arrived within six minutes and commenced CPR, with paramedics arriving another 12 minutes later noting she had died.

Crowds of panicked shoppers streamed from the shopping centre as Cauchi attacked.
Crowds of panicked shoppers streamed from the shopping centre as Cauchi attacked. (Dion Georgopoulos)

“There is an expectation that if you ring an ambulance, it will come,” Wilkinson said.

The effectiveness of inter-agency communication during mass casualty events is one of the key topics being canvassed at the inquest.

Wilkinson said he was proud to be a paramedic at Bondi.

Wilkinson, who has been trained in dealing with mass-casualty events, said lives were lost when emergency services did not communicate effectively.

He emphasised the “need to change the way we do things” but commended paramedics who responded to the tragedy.

“At Bondi, it made me very proud to be a paramedic,” Wilkinson said.

From left: Ashlee Good, 38, Faraz Tahir, 30, Dawn Singleton, 25, Jade Young, 47, Pikria Darchia, 55, and Yixuan Cheng, 27.
Six people were killed, from left: Ashlee Good, 38, Faraz Tahir, 30, Dawn Singleton, 25, Jade Young, 47, Pikria Darchia, 55, and Yixuan Cheng, 27. (Supplied)

Singleton, 25, Faraz Tahir, 30, Ashlee Good, 38, Jade Young, 47, Pikria Darchia, 55, and Yixuan Cheng, 27, were killed in the April 13, 2024, attack.

Cauchi, who stabbed his first seven victims within 30 seconds, had been diagnosed with schizophrenia as a teen and had been successfully treated until 2019 when he stopped his medication, the coroner previously heard.

He lived a largely transient life away from the support of his parents in Toowoomba, near Brisbane and had been homeless when he set foot into the shopping centre for the last time.

Readers seeking support can contact Lifeline on 13 11 14 or beyond blue on 1300 22 4636

Suicide Call Back Service 1300 659 467

MensLine Australia 1300 78 99 78

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Tragic Twists: Widower’s Heartbreaking Journey After Losing Wife and Two Children

Phillip Crosland is grappling with profound loss after his wife and lifelong…

Shocking Mustang Crash: Driver Claims She Mistook Pedestrian for Speed Bump in Crosswalk Accident

Left inset: Dawn Dunkle (Clearwater Police Department). Right inset: Elbert Gilbert (GoFundMe).…

Shocking Heist Gone Wrong: Masked Robber Accidentally Sets Himself Ablaze

Authorities are currently on the hunt for two men following a dramatic…

Children Endure Shocking Abuse: Forced to Dumpster Dive for Food and Witness Family Dog’s Tragic End

Myron and Kathleen Chorbajian (Greenville County Sheriff”s Office). A pastor from South…

Elementary School Incident: Child Arrives with Cockroach-Infested Backpack, Covered in Bug Bites – Police Investigate

Share Authorities in West Virginia have detained the parents of two young…

Mother Charged in Tragic Incident After Space Heater Mishap Leads to Toddler’s Death: Police Report

Inset: Enzo J. Peters (Merkle Funeral Home). Background: The area where Enzo…

Bondi Terrorism Suspect Naveed Akram Makes Initial Court Appearance

Accused Bondi terrorist Naveed Akram has broken his silence in brief remarks…

Ex-Girlfriend Allegedly Plotted for Weeks Before Point-Blank Shooting of Boyfriend

Share A Colorado woman faces a lengthy prison term after being found…

Gainesville Man Charged with Assault After Allegedly Breaking Woman’s Arm in Violent Incident

Staff Report GAINESVILLE, Fla. – Authorities have taken Tobreis Corney Fields, 37,…

High-Speed Pursuit: Man Who Threatened Trump Escalates Tensions with Deputy Car Ramming

Main: President Donald Trump delivers the Memorial Day Address at the 157th…

Family Speaks Out on Ordeal of Wrongfully Abducted Man

The family of an 85-year-old Sydney grandfather kidnapped in a case of…

Teenagers Charged in Tragic Case of 5-Year-Old’s Death Involving Birdbath

Background: News footage of Erik Mendoza (far right) at an earlier court…