Judge orders Trump administration to admit roughly 12,000 refugees
Share this @internewscast.com

SEATTLE (AP) — On Monday, a judge instructed the Trump administration to allow approximately 12,000 refugees entry into the United States, following a court order that partly obstructs the president’s aim to halt the nation’s refugee admissions program.

U.S. District Judge Jamal Whitehead issued the order after hearing arguments from the Justice Department and refugee resettlement agencies regarding the interpretation of a federal appeals court decision that markedly limited an earlier ruling by Whitehead.

At a hearing last week, the administration suggested that it should only be required to admit 160 refugees, indicating plans to likely appeal any ruling that would mandate thousands to be accepted. However, the judge dismissed the government’s interpretation, stating it required “not just reading between the lines” of the 9th Circuit’s decision, “but imagining new text that simply isn’t present.”

“This Court will not entertain the Government’s result-oriented rewriting of a judicial order that clearly says what it says,” Whitehead wrote Monday. “The Government is free, of course, to seek further clarification from the Ninth Circuit. But the Government is not free to disobey statutory and constitutional law — and the direct orders of this Court and the Ninth Circuit — while it seeks such clarification.”

The refugee program, created by Congress in 1980, is a form of legal migration to the U.S. for people displaced by war, natural disaster or persecution — a process that often takes years and involves significant vetting. It is different from asylum, by which people newly arrived in the U.S. can seek permission to remain because they fear persecution in their home country.

Upon beginning his second term on Jan. 20, President Donald Trump issued an executive order suspending the program.

That triggered a lawsuit by individual refugees whose efforts to resettle in the U.S. have been halted as well as major refugee aid groups, who argued that they have had to lay off staff. The groups said the administration froze their funding for processing refugee applications overseas and providing support, such as short-term rental assistance for those already in the U.S.

Whitehead, a 2023 appointee of former President Joe Biden, blocked enforcement of Trump’s order, saying it amounted to an “effective nullification of congressional will” in setting up the nation’s refugee admissions program.

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals largely put Whitehead’s decision on hold in March, finding that the administration was likely to win the case given the president’s broad authority to determine who is allowed to enter the country.

But the appeals court also said the government should continue processing those who had already been approved for travel to the U.S., some of whom had upended their lives abroad by selling property or quitting their jobs. Such people had relied on promises made by the federal government that they would be admitted, the court found.

The appeals court said the government must continue processing refugees who already had “arranged and confirmable” travel plans before Jan. 20 to come to the U.S. The Justice Department put the number of refugees in that category at about 12,000.

During a hearing last week over how to interpret and enforce the appeals court ruling, Justice Department lawyer David Kim said the government took it to mean that the only refugees who should be processed for entry to the U.S. are those who were scheduled to travel to the U.S. within two weeks of Trump’s order. There were far fewer refugees who met that definition — just 160, the department said.

The judge and lawyers for refugee resettlement organizations disagreed with the government’s reading. They noted that nothing in the 9th Circuit’s order suggested a two-week window. Instead, Whitehead said, the order should apply to any refugees who had been approved to come to the U.S. and had established travel plans — regardless of when that travel was scheduled for.

Whitehead ordered the administration within the next seven days to instruct agency offices and staff, including U.S. embassies, to resume processing the cases of refugees who are protected by the court order. He also told the government to immediately take steps to facilitate admission to the U.S. for those refugees whose clearances, including medical and security authorizations, have not yet lapsed.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Quentin Griffiths, Asos co-founder, dead after fall from building in Thailand

Tragic Loss: Asos Co-Founder Quentin Griffiths Passes Away in Thailand Building Fall

Quentin Griffiths, the co-founder of the online fashion powerhouse Asos, has tragically…
Fox News ‘Antisemitism Exposed’ Newsletter: Olympic shame over Hitler T-shirts

Fox News Unveils ‘Antisemitism Exposed’ Newsletter: Controversy Erupts Over Olympic Hitler T-Shirts

Fox News’ “Antisemitism Exposed” newsletter delivers critical insights into the escalating anti-Jewish…
Woman finds 'smiling' rock on UK island

UK Island Discovery: Woman Uncovers Rare ‘Smiling’ Rock Formation

Open wide! During a recent trip with her husband, a woman’s quest…
Lake Tahoe avalanche victim was married to first responder

Lake Tahoe Avalanche Claims Life of Spouse to First Responder

An avalanche of unprecedented severity claimed the lives of eight skiers on…
Teen in tactical gear arrested after allegedly charging toward US Capitol with loaded shotgun

Georgia Man with Firearm Apprehended at US Capitol; Claimed Desire to “Speak” with Congress, Documents Reveal

The arrest of a Georgia resident caught carrying a loaded firearm while…
Nets to face Cavaliers without Nic Claxton following practice injury

Nets to Take on Cavaliers Minus Nic Claxton After Practice Setback

The Brooklyn Nets will have to cope without Nic Claxton as they…
Trump gathers members of Board of Peace for first meeting, with some US allies wary of new body

Trump Convenes Inaugural Peace Board Meeting Amid Concerns from US Allies

WASHINGTON — A coalition of countries, including Indonesia, Morocco, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, and…
DSA candidates rail against billionaires — while still cashing checks from the ultra-rich

DSA Candidates Criticize Billionaires Yet Accept Donations: A Complex Political Paradox

Despite their outspoken criticism of the ultra-wealthy, candidates affiliated with the Democratic…
Vermont couple reclaims foster care license after taking a stand on child gender transitioning

Vermont Couple Wins Back Foster Care License After Challenging Child Gender Transition Policies

EXCLUSIVE: A Vermont couple, who faced the revocation of their foster care…
Former South Korean president receives life sentence for imposing martial law in 2024

Ex-South Korean Leader Sentenced to Life for 2024 Martial Law Actions

By KIM TONG-HYUNG SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — In a landmark verdict,…
Ex-Prince Andrew looks aghast in photos after arrest for Jeffrey Epstein ties

Ex-Prince Andrew’s Shocking Reaction Post-Arrest: The Epstein Connection Unveiled

Former Prince Andrew found himself in the spotlight once again on Thursday…
NYC teens charged in Queensboro bridge TikTok stunt fail

NYC Teens Face Charges After TikTok Stunt Attempt on Queensboro Bridge Goes Awry

In a reckless attempt to create viral content for TikTok, two teenagers…