Share this @internewscast.com
Tasmania will go to the polls on 19 July after the embattled Liberal premier’s request for an early election was granted.
Jeremy Rockliff returned to Government House on Wednesday evening to meet with Governor Barbara Baker, six days after he lost the confidence of the parliament.
In a statement after the meeting, Baker confirmed she would dissolve parliament and issue the writ for an election to be held on 19 July.
It will be the fourth state election in seven years after early polls were also held in 2021 and 2024.
“Notwithstanding the recent 2024 election, the public interest in avoiding the cost of another election and the prevailing public mood against holding an election, I have granted Premier Rockliff a dissolution,” Baker said in the statement.

“I approve this grant because I am convinced there is no feasible chance for forming a different government.”

Rockliff has resisted pressure to resign and insisted the backing of his partyroom remains solid, despite reports former senator Eric Abetz and ex-deputy premier Michael Ferguson were willing to be leader.
“I have a commitment from my team to support me as leader and I am not going anywhere,” he said earlier on Wednesday.
Rockliff denied he was “driven by ego” in not standing aside from leading the minority government.
Liberal MP Jacquie Petrusma didn’t directly answer when asked if the party was doing numbers to roll Rockliff.

“The premier is an exceptional leader and enjoys the full backing of the PLP (parliamentary Liberal Party),” she stated.

A woman wearing a black dress attends a commemoration ceremony.

Tasmanian Governor Barbara Baker approved the premier’s call for an early election. Source: AAP / Simon Sturzaker

Baker also met Labor leader Dean Winter on Wednesday afternoon.

Labor, which has just 10 of 35 lower-house seats, had said it would not look to form a minority government with the Greens.
“In that meeting (with the governor) I reiterated my position that Labor will not be doing a deal with the Greens,” Winter said.
Labor, whose no-confidence motion against Rockliff was backed by the Greens and three crossbench independents, had called on the premier to step down.
“We’ve gotten to this point because of Jeremy Rockliff and his refusal to resign,” Labor MP Shane Broad said.

“I come from a farm and no matter how much you love that old sheep dog, if you can’t round up sheep anymore it’s time to get a new one.”

Rockliff claimed the no-confidence motion was a deceptive power grab, while Labor says it was because of the Liberals’ poor budget and project mismanagement.
The premier took a crack at Winter for failing to “front up” and hold a press conference on Wednesday.
The Liberals had already appeared to be in fully fledged campaign mode, visiting a hospital to announce a four-year elective surgery plan.
They were returned to power in March 2024, winning 14 seats and cobbling together enough support from the crossbench to govern.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
The ute reversed before ramming into the gates of the Brisbane Synagogue, with the incident being captured on CCTV.

Police Clarify Synagogue Gate Ramming Incident: No Terrorism Involved, Investigation Ongoing

Authorities have clarified that last night’s incident involving a vehicle crashing into…

Breaking: US Supreme Court Overturns Trump’s Controversial Global Tariffs – What This Means for International Trade

Key Points In a 6-3 decision, the justices ruled that the law…
Victims were led to believe they were purchasing cryptocurrency, shares, or other legitimate investment products.

Sydney Man Exposed: The $5 Million Scam That Shocked Australia

Elderly and vulnerable victims were usually contacted on social media and encouraged…
Police return to royal homes after ex-Prince Andrew's arrest

Police Presence Intensifies at Royal Residences Following Former Prince Andrew’s Arrest

The brother of King Charles III was taken into custody on his…
Someone holding a handful of Australian cash.

Massive Cash Boost: Over 5 Million Australians Set to Benefit Soon!

More than five million Australians receiving social security payments, half of whom…

From Dough to Dream Home: Pizza Chefs Overcome Challenges to Buy First House

Every day at Boss Pizzeria, a bustling Italian eatery in Melbourne’s eastern…
rugby league Pixs taken at Telstra stadium at the match between CANTERBURY BULLDOGS and NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS. Pic shows..MATT UTAI SCORES Pixs

Charges Filed Against Suspected Gunmen in Former NRL Player Shooting Incident

Police have charged two people, including a 15-year-old, as the alleged gunmen…
Posties told to stop wearing uniforms amid reports they're getting sunburnt

Postal Workers Advised to Ditch Uniforms Due to Sunburn Concerns

Australia Post has advised its postal workers to refrain from wearing their…

Former Prince Andrew Released from Police Custody Following Arrest

In Brief Former prince Andrew was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in…
The death of Ruben Ray Martinez, 23, would mark the earliest of at least six deadly shootings by federal officers since the start of a nationwide immigration crackdown in President Donald Trump's second term.

Shocking Incident: Texas Man Fatally Shot by Federal Immigration Agent – Uncover the Full Story

Newly released records show a US citizen was shot and killed in…
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office

UK Government Weighs Historic Decision: Potential Removal of Former Prince from Royal Succession

Despite recent controversy, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor remains the eighth person in line to…

UN Unveils Disturbing Evidence: Genocidal Atrocities Surface in Sudan

In brief The mission warned that “urgent protection of civilians is needed,…