Belgium's King Albert, 91, undergoes cancer treatment for sixth time
Share this @internewscast.com

King Albert II of Belgium has kickstarted cancer treatment for the sixth time in 11 years.

The 91-year-old former monarch, who stepped down from the Belgian throne in 2013, is once more undergoing preventative treatment for skin cancer, according to a statement by the Belgian Royal House to Dutch outlet Het Laatste Nieuws.

The palace confirmed that Albert had the procedure, though did not specify when the surgery took place.

The outlet had published an image of the former king attending a reception in Brussels last week, revealing a visible scar running from his nose to his upper lip following the recent procedure.

The rare outing marked his first in five months.

Albert has previously been treated for cancer on 10 occasions, with medical experts suggesting that his condition may have been triggered by frequent sun exposure during his travels abroad.

In 2013, he was hospitalized with signs of dehydration.

At the time, the palace said that Albert had been “admitted to hospital as a precautionary measure. Examinations are being done. He is conscious.”

The health scare prompted Albert to abdicate the throne in July of that year — handing the crown to his son, King Philippe, 65.

The abdication effectively ended his 20-year reign.

Albert — who is the third and youngest child of King Leopold III — became king in 1993 after taking over the crown from his brother Baudouin, who died without children.

Speaking to the BBC at the time of his abdication, Albert said, “I realize that my age and my health are no longer allowing me to carry out my duties as I would like to. Prince Philippe is well prepared to succeed me.”

Following his diagnosis, Albert and his wife, Queen Paola, 85, have been spacing out their public appearances.

Following Albert’s most recent surgery, King Philippe had reportedly canceled his planned royal engagement at the University of Ghent so that he could visit his father in the hospital.

Other members of the Belgian royal family, including Prince Laurent and aspiring DJ Prince Emmanuel, had also visited the Saint-Luc hospital in Brussels.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Evanston, Oak Park end contracts with Flock Safety, license plate reader company under investigation in Illinois

Evanston and Oak Park Terminate Agreements with Flock Safety, a License Plate Reader Firm Under Investigation in Illinois

CHICAGO (WLS) — Concerns are mounting over the utilization of license plate…
'A Goofy Movie' 30th anniversary celebration wraps at Walt Disney World for fan event

Fan event concludes ‘A Goofy Movie’ 30th anniversary celebration at Walt Disney World

ORLANDO, Fla. — Goofy’s 30th anniversary road trip ends its journey back…
Suspected Cincinnati beating 'coordinator' granted bond again after federal drug arrest

Cincinnati Assault ‘Organizer’ Released on Bond Again Following Federal Drug Charges

A man arrested and charged in connection with the viral July 26…
With CDC in chaos, scientists and physicians piece together replacements for agency's lost work

Scientists and Physicians Step Up to Fill Gaps Left by a Disrupted CDC

NEW YORK (AP) — The CDC is in chaos and some groups…
Pregnant teen dies saving baby after Ponchatoula road rage shooting incident

Teenager Who Was Pregnant Passes Away Protecting Her Baby in Ponchatoula Road Rage Shooting

A 17-year-old girl from Louisiana, tragically lost her life after being shot…
Jacksonville woman has debit card stolen from under her doormat after elusive scam

Jacksonville Resident’s Debit Card Stolen from Under Doormat in Sneaky Scam

Earnette Green says she was instructed by someone claiming to be with…
Cracker Barrel co-founder Tommy Lowe slams CEO Julie Felss Masino after logo rebranding fail

Cracker Barrel Co-Founder Tommy Lowe Criticizes CEO Julie Felss Masino Over Logo Rebranding Mishap

The 93-year-old co-founder of Cracker Barrel criticized the executives of the homestyle…
Minneapolis church shooter's mother refuses to talk to police; obtains criminal defense attorney

Mother of Minneapolis Church Shooter Hires Defense Lawyer, Declines Police Interview

The mother of the shooter who opened fire on a Minneapolis Catholic…
Nassau County nursing assistant arrested for elder abuse

Nursing Assistant in Nassau County Arrested for Abusing Elderly Client

Logan Morrison is accused of grabbing and shoving a resident at a…
Hurricane Katrina survivors share stories of perseverance 20 years after deadly storm

Survivors of Hurricane Katrina recount their resilience two decades after the devastating storm

Two decades after Hurricane Katrina, those who lived through it and those…
Salvation Army reveals how Hurricane Katrina changed disaster relief operations forever

How Hurricane Katrina Transformed Salvation Army’s Approach to Disaster Relief

When Hurricane Katrina struck the Gulf Coast in 2005, it transformed how…
Israeli Cybersecurity Official Skips US Court on Child Sex Charges

Israeli Cybersecurity Official Fails to Appear in US Court for Child Sex Allegations

Senior Israeli cybersecurity official, Tom Artiom Alexandrovich, failed to appear in a…