Judge orders Trump administration to halt indiscriminate immigration stops, arrests in California
Share this @internewscast.com


LOS ANGELES (AP) A federal judge on Friday ordered the Trump administration to halt indiscriminate immigration stops and arrests in seven California counties, including Los Angeles.

Immigrant advocacy groups filed the lawsuit last week accusing President Donald Trump’s administration of systematically targeting brown-skinned people in Southern California during its ongoing immigration crackdown. The plaintiffs include three detained immigrants and two U.S. citizens, one who was held despite showing agents his identification.

The filing in U.S. District Court asked a judge to block the administration from using what they call unconstitutional tactics in immigration raids. Immigrant advocates accuse immigration officials of detaining someone based on their race, carrying out warrantless arrests, and denying detainees access to legal counsel at a holding facility in downtown LA.

Judge Maame E. Frimpong also issued a separate order barring the federal government from restricting attorney access at a Los Angeles immigration detention facility.

Frimpong issued the emergency orders, which are a temporary measure while the lawsuit proceeds, the day after a hearing during which advocacy groups argued that the government was violating the Fourth and Fifth amendments of the constitution.

She wrote in the order there was a “mountain of evidence” presented in the case that the federal government was committing the violations they were being accused of.

The White House responded quickly to the ruling late Friday. “No federal judge has the authority to dictate immigration policy that authority rests with Congress and the President,” spokesperson Abigail Jackson said. “Enforcement operations require careful planning and execution; skills far beyond the purview (or) jurisdiction of any judge. We expect this gross overstep of judicial authority to be corrected on appeal.”

Immigrants and Latino communities across Southern California have been on edge for weeks since the Trump administration stepped up arrests at car washes, Home Depot parking lots, immigration courts and a range of businesses. Tens of thousands of people have participated in rallies in the region over the raids and the subsequent deployment of the National Guard and Marines.

The order also applies to Ventura County, where busloads of workers were detained Thursday while the court hearing was underway after federal agents descended on a cannabis farm, leading to clashes with protesters and multiple injuries.

According to the American Civil Liberties Union, the recent wave of immigration enforcement has been driven by an “arbitrary arrest quota” and based on “broad stereotypes based on race or ethnicity.”

When detaining the three day laborers who are plaintiffs in the lawsuit, all immigration agents knew about them is that they were Latino and were dressed in construction work clothes, the filing in the lawsuit said. It goes on to describe raids at swap meets and Home Depots where witnesses say federal agents grabbed anyone who “looked Hispanic.”

Tricia McLaughlin, assistant secretary of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, said in an email that “any claims that individuals have been ‘targeted’ by law enforcement because of their skin color are disgusting and categorically FALSE.”

McLaughlin said “enforcement operations are highly targeted, and officers do their due diligence” before making arrests.

But ACLU attorney Mohammad Tajsar said Brian Gavidia, one of the U.S. citizens who was detained, was “physically assaulted … for no other reason than he was Latino and working at a tow yard in a predominantly Latin American neighborhood.”

Tajsar asked why immigration agents detained everyone at a car wash except two white workers, according to a declaration by a car wash worker, if race wasn’t involved.

Representing the government, attorney Sean Skedzielewski said there was no evidence that federal immigration agents considered race in their arrests, and that they only considered appearance as part of the “totality of the circumstances” including prior surveillance and interactions with people in the field.

In some cases, they also operated off “targeted, individualized packages,” he said.

“The Department of Homeland Security has policy and training to ensure compliance with the Fourth Amendment,” Skedzielewski said.

Order opens facility to lawyer visits

Lawyers from Immigrant Defenders Law Center and other groups say they also have been denied access to a U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement facility in downtown LA known as “B-18” on several occasions since June, according to court documents.

Lawyer Mark Rosenbaum said in one incident on June 7 attorneys “attempted to shout out basic rights” at a bus of people detained by immigration agents in downtown LA when the government drivers honked their horns to drown them out and chemical munitions akin to tear gas were deployed.

Skedzielewski said access was only restricted to “protect the employees and the detainees” during violent protests and it has since been restored.

Rosenbaum said lawyers were denied access even on days without any demonstrations nearby, and that the people detained are also not given sufficient access to phones or informed that lawyers were available to them.

He said the facility lacks adequate food and beds, which he called “coercive” to getting people to sign papers to agree to leave the country before consulting an attorney.

Friday’s order will prevent the government from solely using apparent race or ethnicity, speaking Spanish or English with an accent, presence at a location such as a tow yard or car wash, or someone’s occupation as the basis for reasonable suspicion to stop someone. It will also require officials to open B-18 to visitation by attorneys seven days a week and provide detainees access to confidential phone calls with attorneys.

Attorneys general for 18 Democratic states also filed briefs in support of the orders.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents were already barred from making warrantless arrests in a large swath of eastern California after a federal judge issued a preliminary injunction in April.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Historic Powerball Jackpot: Winning Numbers Revealed

(NewsNation) — Winning numbers for a Powerball jackpot of rare proportions were…

New Details: Battery Charging Sparks Fire on University of Illinois Campus

Update at 4 p.m. CHAMPAIGN, Ill. (WCIA) — The Champaign Fire Department…

Report: California Highway Patrol to Provide Security for Kamala Harris

The California Highway Patrol (CHP) has proposed providing security for former Vice…

Jude Law Unveils His Vladimir Putin Character in ‘The Wizard of the Kremlin’ at the Venice Film Festival

VENICE – Jude Law takes on the role of Vladimir Putin in…

Drones Playing AC/DC and Using Scarlett Johansson’s Voice Aid Biologists in Safeguarding Cattle from Wolves

For millennia humans have tried to scare wolves away from their livestock.…

No Charges for Myrtle Beach Officer Involved in Shooting Death of 18-Year-Old on Ocean Boulevard

MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. (WBTW) — The police officer from Myrtle Beach who…

Transportation Department Withdraws $679 Million from Offshore Wind Initiatives

The U.S. Department of Transportation announced on Friday that it will be…

China’s Xi and India’s Modi Commit to Settling Border Disputes during Tianjin Meeting

TIANJIN – On Sunday, Chinese leader Xi Jinping and Indian Prime Minister…

Troopers Report Fatal Crash in Marion County Involving 54-Year-Old Man

MARION COUNTY, Fla. – A man, aged 54, lost his life in…

Macron’s Plan to Acknowledge Palestine in September Upsets Israel and the US

PARIS – The move by French President Emmanuel Macron to acknowledge a…

Utah Musicians Unite to Support Violinist Facing ICE Detention After Years in the U.S.

Following the detention of a violinist who has performed with distinguished orchestras…

2023 Incident: Man Sentenced for Fatal Accidental Shooting

BULLOCH COUNTY, Ga. () — A man has been sentenced for the…