Expelled ambassador hits out at 'baseless allegations and lies'
Share this @internewscast.com

The Iranian ambassador has flown out of Australia, describing allegations his country was behind antisemitic attacks in Sydney and Melbourne as “baseless” in an impromptu airport press conference.

Last night at Sydney Airport, Ahmad Sadeghi broadly echoed the denials issued by his government, while labelling Canberra’s accusation that Iran was behind at least two attacks on Australian soil as “machination and just conspiracy”.

The diplomat was expelled on Tuesday in response to the firebombings of the Adass Israel Synagogue in Melbourne and Lewis’ Continental Kitchen in Sydney last year, an “unprecedented attack” spy agency ASIO pinned on Iran’s Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC).

Expelled Iranian ambassador Ahmad Sadeghi speaks to the media at Sydney airport on Thursday, August 28, 2025. (9News)

The guard, which is tightly integrated with the Iranian state, will also be declared a terrorist organisation.

Sadeghi denied the accusation, repeating the Iranian line that it was made in some sort of response to Israel’s furious reaction to Prime Minister Anthony Albanese’s pledge to recognise a Palestinian state.

Despite his ignominious exit, which the ambassador blamed on a “misunderstanding” in the diplomatic relationship”, he said Iran kept a “very good sensation” towards his former host.

“I had a very good mission within these two years and a half here,” he said.

“I advise you to go beyond, you know, this sort of fabrication, of these conspiritual (sic) things that the enemy of both of us, the enemy of Iran and enemy of Australia, are bringing, you know, sort of false allegations in order to just undermine our friendly relations.”

The ambassador condemned the attacks on the Israeli community but said claims Iran was behind them were “baseless allegations and lies”, coming from “third parties”.

The Adass Israel Synagogue was gutted after the arson attack on it late last year. (Nine)

ASIO Director-General Mike Burgess on Tuesday said his agency’s months-long investigation uncovered links between the two incidents and the IRGC, which he said used “a complex web of proxies to hide its involvement”.

It was the first time Canberra has declared a foreign ambassador persona non grata since the end of World War II.

”These were extraordinary and dangerous acts of aggression orchestrated by a foreign nation on Australian soil,” Albanese said.

“They were attempts to undermine social cohesion and sow discord in our community.”

One of Sadeghi’s supporters spent minutes haranguing the gathered reporters before the ambassador spoke with them.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Man Confesses to Killing Boy in Attempt to Appear ‘Cool’ with Gun

Left inset: Steven Merkel (Walworth County Sheriff’s Office). Right inset: Steven Merkel’s…

Woman Dies Following Altercation with Husband Over Cheating Allegations, Police Report

Inset: Jeffrey Evans (Broward County Sheriff’s Office). Background: Home in Coral Springs,…

Lisa Cook Reacts to Trump’s ‘Firing’ by Filing a Lawsuit

Left: Federal Reserve Board of Governors member Lisa Cook is seen listening…

Woman Attempted to Hire Hitman Using Oleander to Poison Parents: Authorities

Background: The Outagamie County Courthouse in Appleton, Wis. (Google Maps). Inset: Lindsey…

Rapper from Lake City Receives 15-Year Sentence for Fleeing Deadly Accident Scene

Staff report GAINESVILLE, Fla. – Eric Javah Baker, 22, who performs under…

Ex-AFL Star Nicky Winmar Appears in Court Over Assault and Strangulation Charges

AFL great Nicky Winmar has appeared in court, a month after he…

Florida Mother Faces Trial Over Son’s Tragic Death

A Florida mother went on trial this week for the death of…

Chilling Incident: Non-Verbal 12-Year-Old Boy Discovered in Lagoon, Fatally Attacked by Alligator

Louisiana authorities announced on Wednesday that a 12-year-old autistic boy, who was…

Tragic Incident: Woman Accused of Killing Boyfriend’s Young Children, Aged 3 and 5, and Living with Their Remains

Insets: Corena Minjarez, Jesus Dominguez Jr., and Yesenia Dominguez (Pueblo Police Department).…

Stepfather Admits Guilt in Tragic Shooting of 8-Year-Old Boy During Attempt to ‘Impress’

A man from Wisconsin admitted guilt to reckless homicide on Wednesday following…

Two Individuals Accused of Murdering Man Found Stabbed Near Melbourne BP Station

Two men will face court today charged with the murder of a…

Mystery Surrounds Discovery of 70 Ash Piles in Desert

A federal investigation is underway in Nevada, where dozens of cremated human…