Teen faked abduction that led to Amber Alert: Sheriff

Authorities report that Caden Speight fabricated a kidnapping story, prompting Florida officials to issue an Amber Alert (Florida Department of Law Enforcement).

On Thursday evening, an Amber Alert was issued to Florida residents concerning a 17-year-old boy, supposedly abducted by four men who forced the teen into a van and drove away, with him inside.

“If located, DO NOT APPROACH. Contact law enforcement immediately,” the alert said.

But it turned out the boy fabricated the story — and even shot himself in the leg to keep the hoax alive, authorities say.

“Completely made up,” Marion County Sheriff Billy Woods said in a social media post.

The case originated on Thursday afternoon when Caden Speight messaged a family member claiming he had been kidnapped and shot near his truck in Dunnellon. His family informed law enforcement, who swiftly responded to the scene of his truck.

“We discovered evidence of a solitary gunshot at the location of Caden’s truck. However, his assertions of being shot and abducted were soon debunked,” stated Woods. “We found out he had recently bought a bicycle, tent, and camping gear before making these reports. Initially, there were numerous red flags, but we must thoroughly investigate until proven otherwise. Additionally, witnesses presented information that contradicted initial claims.”

According to Woods, Speight actually cycled to Williston, shot himself in the leg there, and then emerged onto the road, where locals saw him and sought assistance.

The sheriff mentioned that they are contemplating whether to press charges against Speight. Investigators have yet to speak with him as his parents have not permitted it. The investigation remains active.

Federal, state and local cops responded to the incident, in addition to the Uvalde Foundation For Kids, which also committed resources to the search and offered a reward. The foundation pulled back its resources and canceled the reward.

“The resources and time we dedicate to finding a missing child are sacred, and we act on the highest presumption of danger when an Amber Alert is issued,” its founder Daniel Chapin told Miami ABC affiliate WPLG. “This case tragically demonstrates the profound cost of a false report. We wasted countless volunteer hours, expended funds on a reward and extensive search efforts, and utilized our sophisticated school threat database.”

You May Also Like

White House Lawyer Opposes ABA Bid to Identify Advisers Behind Trump Law Firm Executive Orders

President Donald Trump listens during a Cabinet meeting on Friday, July 31,…

Fani Willis Blasts Judge’s Errors in Trump RICO Fee Fight

Inset left: Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis testifies at a hearing…

5-Year-Old Doing Homework Finds Dad’s Gun, Shoots Himself: Police

Background: The Memphis, Tennessee, home where authorities say the fatal shooting occurred…

Man Tore Door Off Hinges to Fight Ex’s Boyfriend: Police

Inset: Steven Shannon (Allen County Sheriff’s Office). Background: The Allen County Jail…

Armed Gainesville Man Arrested in Domestic Injunction Violation

Staff report GAINESVILLE, Fla. – A 42-year-old Gainesville man, Reginald Tremaine Thomas,…

Repeat Felon Gets Two-Year Prison Sentence for Firearm Offense

Staff report GAINESVILLE, Fla. – Robert Anthony Yancy, Jr., 25, will spend…

Men Accused of Stabbing Roommate 19 Times After Drinking-Fueled Fight Over Chores and Thermostat

Background: Water Street in Menasha, Wisconsin (Google Maps). Inset, left to right:…

Son Asked Dad to Talk, Then Stabbed Him in Neck: Police

Inset: Joseph Niemiec (Hall County Jail). Background: The 4200 block of 21st…