Chicago immigration operations: Appeals court blocks order requiring CBP Chief Greg Bovino to meet with judge every day on

The U.S. Department of Justice has lodged an appeal against a federal judge’s directive that required Customs and Border Protection Commander-at-Large Greg Bovino to report to the judge on a daily basis. This order was intended to ensure adherence to a temporary restraining order that limited the use of force by federal agents.

In a swift decision, the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals intervened, halting the process just an hour before Commander Bovino’s inaugural check-in with Judge Sara Ellis was scheduled to take place.

ABC7 Chicago is now streaming 24/7. Click here to watch

This initial meeting with Judge Ellis was designed to allow her to examine any incidents involving the use of force by Border Patrol agents against civilians. The aim was to facilitate transparency and accountability in enforcement actions.

A notable incident that could have been discussed during this meeting occurred in Aurora earlier this week. Reports indicate that agents allegedly used pepper spray on a woman’s vehicle while her two young children were inside, sparking concern and outrage.

RELATED | Chicago federal intervention: Tracking surge in immigration enforcement operations | Live updates

The incident was captured on cell phone footage outside a grocery store in Aurora. The video shows Elizabeth Pineda in distress, moments after federal agents allegedly fired pepper bullets at the windshield of her car, with her children seated in the back.

Speaking to ABC7 shortly after leaving Mercy Hospital Wednesday, Pineda, who is a member of Aurora’s rapid response team, recounted what happened shortly after she pulled into the grocery store, attracted by the whistles used to alert residents of agents’ presence in the area. She admits she was unwittingly blocking one of the agents’ vehicles in.

“He decides to back up and tell me that I need to get the **** out, or I’m going to get arrested,” Pineda said. “There’s agents coming at me. All I hear is them shooting. I thought they were hitting my windshield, I didn’t think they were actually shooting at me until everything happened.”

It was just Tuesday when Judge Ellis ordered Border Patrol Commander Bovino to make sure his agents have their body-worn cameras rolling during all encounters with the public, while also having their identifiers clearly visible on at least two locations. This comes as she seeks to enforce a temporary restraining order that forbids all federal agents participating in Operation Midway Blitz from using chemical agents when their physical safety is not in danger and without giving at least two clear warnings about what they are about to do.

“They didn’t acknowledge that my kids were in the car. I had no form of weapon in order for them to attack me how they did,” Pineda said. “No cameras were visible. No numbers were visible. They did have their badges, but I couldn’t make it out.”

READ MORE | US citizens detained by feds speak out after protesters confront agents at Aurora school, hospital

While it’s still not clear what agency the officers involved belong to, the incident illustrates the type of encounter that Judge Ellis was expected to bring up at the daily meetings she had ordered Border Patrol Commander Bovino to have with her between now and November 5, in hopes of getting clarity on the tactics being used by federal agents in the area each day. However, the first scheduled meeting between the two was canceled Wednesday after the appellate court ordered a stay on the matter.

The appeal from the Department of Justice is accusing the federal judge of overreach and micromanaging.

“So he doesn’t have to show up unless and until the appellate court rules on that question,” ABC7 Chief Legal Analyst Gil Soffer said. “The appellate court wants to get a briefing on it and consider it before it makes a decision ultimately on whether Bovino has to appear regularly so its putting a pause… the court is putting a pause on things.”

Bovino appeared on Fox News earlier Wednesday in anticipation of that first meeting.

“If she wants to meet with me every day then she’s going to see, she’s going to have a very good first hand look at just how bad things really are on the streets of Chicago… we’ve never been in violation of any TRO, any regulation,” Bovino said. “We’re going to speed those apprehensions up, and no, we are going to go harder. We go harder now. I’m not worried about it at all.”

Regardless of the Department of Justice’s appeal on the the judge’s decision to have Bovino appear before her daily in court, Bovino is already scheduled to be back in court Thursday at 10 a.m. to sit for what is expected to be a five-hour deposition regarding his agency’s use of force practices in Chicago.

Gov. Pritzker makes plea to DHS Sec. Noem ahead of Halloween

ABC7 Chicago obtained a letter late Wednesday sent by Illinois Governor JB Pritzker to U.S. Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem.

In it, he asks them to suspend immigration enforcement operations over the weekend so children can celebrate Halloween.

This comes just days after tear gas appeared to be dropped on the city’s Northwest Side as children were attending a Halloween parade.

ABC News contributed to this report.

You May Also Like

Border Wall Construction on Reservation Approved, Clearing Way for New Barriers - Internewscast Journal

Border Wall Construction on Reservation Approved, Clearing Way for New Barriers

A federal judge has allowed border wall construction in Arizona to move…
De la Espriella Urges Trump to Pause Tariffs After Colombia Quake - Internewscast Journal

De la Espriella Urges Trump to Pause Tariffs After Colombia Quake

BOGOTÁ, Colombia — Colombian President Abelardo de la Espriella has appealed to…
Kate Douglass Shatters 50-Meter Freestyle World Record in Pan Pacific Prelims - Internewscast Journal

Kate Douglass Shatters 50-Meter Freestyle World Record in Pan Pacific Prelims

August 15, 2026 / 3:01 PM EDT / AP Kate Douglass delivered…
Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear Says Mitch McConnell Still Has Not Responded to Him - Internewscast Journal

Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear Says Mitch McConnell Still Has Not Responded to Him

Washington — Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear said Sunday that Sen. Mitch McConnell…
California Farmer Loses Court Fight With Fruit Giant Giumarra - Internewscast Journal

California Farmer Loses Court Fight With Fruit Giant Giumarra

A California farmer who drew nationwide attention for giving away thousands of…
Anthony Fauci Declines Senate Hearing After Invoking Fifth Amendment 100+ Times in COVID Probe - Internewscast Journal

Anthony Fauci Declines Senate Hearing After Invoking Fifth Amendment 100+ Times in COVID Probe

Dr. Anthony Fauci on Friday turned down a request to appear voluntarily…
Serial Killer Survivor Reveals Warning Before 18-Hour Captivity - Internewscast Journal

Serial Killer Survivor Reveals Warning Before 18-Hour Captivity

This story discusses suicide. If you or someone you know is having…
Venice Residents Hire Former MS-13 Members as Homeless Crisis Deepens - Internewscast Journal

Venice Residents Hire Former MS-13 Members as Homeless Crisis Deepens

Frustrated residents in an upscale Venice Beach neighborhood have turned to an…
SpaceX Falcon 9 Rocket Set for Launch From California’s Vandenberg Space Force Base - Internewscast Journal

SpaceX Falcon 9 Rocket Set for Launch From California’s Vandenberg Space Force Base

SpaceX is preparing to send a Falcon 9 rocket into the night…
Florida Man Accused of Throwing Dog Feces at Neighbor, Threatening Him With Child’s Scooter: Police - Internewscast Journal

Florida Man Accused of Throwing Dog Feces at Neighbor, Threatening Him With Child’s Scooter: Police

A messy neighborhood dispute in Florida appears to have gone far beyond…
At Least 5 Dead in Indiana as Severe Weather Sweeps State - Internewscast Journal

At Least 5 Dead in Indiana as Severe Weather Sweeps State

At least five people have been killed after days of powerful storms…
Florida Man Accused of Stuffing Stepfather's Remains in Suitcases - Internewscast Journal

Florida Man Accused of Stuffing Stepfather’s Remains in Suitcases

A Florida probationer is facing a first-degree murder charge after authorities say…