Chicago-area groups helping neighbors in need as Illinois SNAP benefits lapse, funding order blocked by Supreme Court justice

In a climate of uncertainty, many families are still grappling with the challenge of securing their next meal. This comes after a recent decision by U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson to temporarily halt an order that would have compelled the Trump administration to fully fund SNAP food aid payments for November.

In Illinois, numerous beneficiaries have only received partial SNAP payments, prompting concerns that these amounts simply aren’t sufficient. In response, various community groups have stepped up to offer assistance.

ABC7 Chicago is now streaming 24/7. Click here to watch

Across Chicago, families are on edge as they await hopeful news regarding their SNAP benefits. Some recipients reported to ABC7 that they received partial payments last week, but the sum amounted to a meager $12, leaving many in a precarious situation.

In light of these challenges, local organizations have mobilized to support those in need through several food drives throughout the Chicagoland area. One significant event took place on the South Side at St. Sabina Church, where Father Michael Pfleger collaborated with the Greater Chicago Food Depository. Together, they distributed 500 boxes of food last week and increased their efforts to 700 boxes this week. Volunteers worked tirelessly, providing these critical supplies to a long line of individuals still awaiting their full SNAP benefits.

Meanwhile, another food drive was organized at St. Francis De Sales High School in the East Side neighborhood. This initiative is part of a series of weekly events held each Saturday, where students and local volunteers enthusiastically contribute by loading pre-assembled food boxes into waiting vehicles.

A food drive was also held at St. Francis De Sales High School in the city’s East Side neighborhood. They’ve been hosting weekly events there each Saturday, with students and local volunteers pitching in to load up pre-assembled food boxes into cars.

Those receiving this food Saturday said it’s incredibly helpful at a time where many are running out of options without their SNAP benefits.

“It’s gonna be rough this month, so I’m really glad for this and other opportunities around the corner in upcoming days,” one person said.

An effort was also underway in Chicago’s West Lawn neighborhood to help families who may have lost SNAP benefits.

Volunteers at Pollo Cris Cris packed up food for those in need. They say right now the need is great. Organizers are asking neighbors to help neighbors.

There was more of the same in the suburbs Saturday, as a special food drive was held in Aurora in honor of Veteran’s Day. Boxes of food were given away to veterans and their families at the Aurora Area Interfaith Food Pantry. The first 150 people to drive through received food.

SEE ALSO: Groceries, free pet food given out in Chicago to SNAP recipients as shutdown drags on

It all comes after Supreme Court Justice Jackson paused a ruling Saturday night requiring the Trump administration to fully fund SNAP. The federal government says they don’t have the funding right now because of the government shutdown.

Illinois Attorney General Kwame Raoul called the move reprehensible as he shared a statement on the matter Saturday.

Raoul said in part, “It is unconscionable that the Trump administration would go so far as to seek U.S. Supreme Court intervention – on a Friday night – to prevent Americans from eating when funds are available to provide the much needed benefits. I am forcefully urging the federal government to follow the law and distribute SNAP benefits.”

You May Also Like

Crosstown Classic Score: Cubs-White Sox Thriller Ends 7-5 as Chicago Eyes World Series Hopes - Internewscast Journal

Crosstown Classic Score: Cubs-White Sox Thriller Ends 7-5 as Chicago Eyes World Series Hopes

CHICAGO () — The Chicago White Sox and Chicago Cubs met Monday…
CBP officers seize $67 million in illegal drugs at San Diego border ports, DHS says

CBP Seizes $67 Million in Illegal Drugs at San Diego Border Ports, DHS Reports

Alleged underground drug tunnel discovered in San Diego Federal authorities say a…
Portland Parent Sues After Ban Over Gender Identity Assignment - Internewscast Journal

Portland Parent Sues After Ban Over Gender Identity Assignment

Allison Roberts, a Portland, Oregon, mother, filed a lawsuit Wednesday against Portland…
Hayden Panettiere Was Really Lonely, Struggling While Filming Last Movie, Co-Star Reveals - Internewscast Journal

Hayden Panettiere Was Really Lonely, Struggling While Filming Last Movie, Co-Star Reveals

Hayden Panettiere was “struggling” and “really lonely” during the making of what…
Hedge Fund Wife Barred From NJ Divorce Trial Over Email Hack - Internewscast Journal

Hedge Fund Wife Barred From NJ Divorce Trial Over Email Hack

Billionaire John Overdeck is expected to take the witness stand Tuesday in…
WNBA Says Atlanta Security Was Wrong to Ask Mother and Daughter to Cover XX-XY Athletics Shirts - Internewscast Journal

WNBA Says Atlanta Security Was Wrong to Ask Mother and Daughter to Cover XX-XY Athletics Shirts

The WNBA and the Atlanta Dream have both criticized a security decision…
South Korean President Boosts Military After Trump Drill Cuts - Internewscast Journal

South Korean President Boosts Military After Trump Drill Cuts

South Korean President Lee Jae Myung called on Tuesday for the country…
Cruise Passengers Gannon Jacox and Brooklyn Hicks Arrested at Port Canaveral Over Alleged Cabin Intrusion and Child Assault - Internewscast Journal

Cruise Passengers Gannon Jacox and Brooklyn Hicks Arrested at Port Canaveral Over Alleged Cabin Intrusion and Child Assault

An Ohio couple accused of being intoxicated forced their way into a…
Appeals Court Blocks ICE Arrests at Houses of Worship - Internewscast Journal

Appeals Court Blocks ICE Arrests at Houses of Worship

Washington — A federal appeals court on Tuesday kept in place a…
Woman Grazed as Third Brooklyn Bystander Shot in 48 Hours - Internewscast Journal

Woman Grazed as Third Brooklyn Bystander Shot in 48 Hours

A woman was struck by a grazing bullet on a Brooklyn sidewalk…
Report: Workers Warned Ohio Trench Was Too Deep Minutes Before Fatal Cave-In - Internewscast Journal

Report: Workers Warned Ohio Trench Was Too Deep Minutes Before Fatal Cave-In

Workers assigned to replace a storm drain at an Ohio construction site…
Lindsay Clancy’s Family Raised Mental Health Alarms Months Before Children’s Deaths - Internewscast Journal

Lindsay Clancy’s Family Raised Mental Health Alarms Months Before Children’s Deaths

If you or someone you know is experiencing suicidal thoughts, contact the…