Share this @internewscast.com
Earlier this week in Caracas, Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro delivered a bold speech, brandishing a symbolic sword and urging his followers to brace themselves for a showdown with what he termed “imperialist aggression.” This came on the heels of President Donald Trump announcing that the U.S. would “very soon” commence efforts to intercept suspected Venezuelan drug traffickers on land.
At a massive rally held in the capital, Maduro appeared wielding the sword of Simón Bolívar, the legendary 19th-century figure celebrated as the liberator of much of South America. Addressing the crowd, Maduro emphasized the critical juncture Venezuela faces.
According to reports by the Associated Press, Maduro proclaimed, “For anyone, be it civilian, politician, military, or police, there are no excuses. Failure is not an option. The homeland calls for our utmost effort and sacrifice. With Bolívar’s legacy, I declare that if the country demands it, we are prepared to give our lives,” he stated, lifting Bolívar’s sword high.

In a show of defiance, Venezuelan leader Nicolas Maduro brandished a sword, reportedly belonging to the independence hero Simon Bolivar, during a civic-military event at the military academy in Caracas on Tuesday, November 25, 2025. (Ariana Cubillos/AP Photo)
Maduro portrayed the situation as a battle against perceived external threats, rallying Venezuelans to stand firm against any foreign intervention.
This speech coincided with heightened tensions following months of U.S.-led maritime operations, which Washington claims were aimed at intercepting vessels employed by drug traffickers.
Reuters has reported that more than 80 people have been killed since September, and a separate Reuters report on Friday detailed heightened surveillance and security crackdowns in coastal communities where the strikes occurred.

Venezuelan leader Nicolás Maduro brandishes a sword during an event at the military academy in Caracas, Venezuela, Tuesday, Nov. 25, 2025. (Ariana Cubillos/AP Photo)
Speaking on Thanksgiving to U.S. service members, Trump said the United States will expand its efforts from sea interdiction to land operations. “In recent weeks, you’ve been working to deter Venezuelan drug traffickers, of which there are many. Of course, there aren’t too many coming in by sea anymore. Have you probably noticed that?” Trump said.
He added that maritime operations have already stopped an estimated 85% of drugs arriving by sea. “You probably noticed that now people aren’t wanting to be delivering by sea, and we’ll be starting to stop them by land also. The land is easier, but that’s going to start very soon.”
Trump said traffickers are responsible for “hundreds of thousands of people a year” dying from the “poisons” brought into the United States. “We warn them, stop sending poison to our country,” he said.

President Donald Trump speaks to reporters after speaking to troops via video from his Mar-a-Lago estate on Thanksgiving, Thursday, Nov. 27, 2025, in Palm Beach, Fla. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)
Earlier this month, Trump said he had not ruled out sending U.S. troops to Venezuela as part of the administration’s crackdown on criminal networks tied to senior figures in Caracas. “No, I don’t rule out that, I don’t rule out anything,” he said.
He also left room for talks. “We may be having some conversations with Maduro, and we’ll see how that turns out. They would like to talk,” Trump told reporters over the weekend.
Since early September, U.S. strikes across the Caribbean and eastern Pacific have destroyed dozens of vessels. U.S. officials say many were linked to Venezuelan and Colombian criminal groups.