Share this @internewscast.com
An alarming revelation from a former FBI official suggests that nearly every American has likely been affected by a cyberattack orchestrated by Chinese state-sponsored actors. This assertion underscores the widespread reach of these cyber activities, which have permeated various facets of American life.
In September, a coalition of international law enforcement agencies, including the FBI and the National Security Agency, issued a comprehensive advisory. The warning highlighted that actors backed by the Chinese Communist Party are actively targeting critical sectors in the United States. These sectors span telecommunications, government operations, transportation systems, lodging, and military infrastructure, painting a concerning picture of the potential vulnerabilities.
The advisory further indicated the global nature of these cyberattacks, which have not been confined to American borders. The coordinated efforts are believed to involve three Chinese companies, allegedly operating under the aegis of China’s intelligence apparatus, including the People’s Liberation Army and the Ministry of State Security. This collaboration facilitates the gathering of sensitive information, enabling Chinese intelligence to monitor and trace their targets’ communications and movements worldwide.
Cynthia Kaiser, who previously held a pivotal role within the FBI’s cyber division, emphasized the magnitude of the breach in an interview with the New York Times. She stated that it is challenging to imagine any American remaining untouched by the fallout from this extensive hack.

This cyberattack has affected numerous countries globally, indicating a strategic and far-reaching operation. As such, the implications of these acts are profound and warrant heightened vigilance and international cooperation to mitigate further risks.
Cynthia Kaiser, a former high-ranking official in the FBI’s cyber division, told the New York Times it’s hard to envision a scenario where any American wasn’t impacted by the hack.
“I can’t imagine any American was spared given the breadth of the campaign,” she said.
Those directly impacted by the cyberattack include senior U.S. government officials and prominent political figures whose communications were accessed, according to the FBI.

The national flags of the United States and China flutter at the Fairmont Peace Hotel on April 25, 2024 in Shanghai, China. (Wang Gang/VCG via Getty Images)
Pete Nicoletti, chief information security officer at Check Point, told Fox News Digital that those behind the Salt Typhoon cyberattack had unprecedented access to phone calls being placed by Americans.
“They had full reign access,” Nicoletti, said. “So, you know, your grandmother calling you to remind you to pick up groceries was not a targeted person and they’re gonna listen into that call. But Trump, Vance, Kamala Harris, and dozens of other US government officials were specifically targeted.”
Nicoletti said the Salt Typhoon hackers “established a foothold and exfiltrated data for five years,” which is “almost unprecedented.”
Yet the cybersecurity expert says his greatest concern is not what Salt Typhoon may target in the future, but whether the group remains embedded inside companies and agencies that still haven’t discovered the intrusion.

Chinese military personnel head to a field to participate in the Golden Dragon military exercise in Svay Chok village, Kampong Chhnang province, north of Phnom Penh Cambodia, Thursday, May 16, 2024. (AP Photo/Heng Sinith)
“My biggest concern is they’re still in various organizations and undetected,” he said. “So the thing that I worry about is not the next time that these guys hack somebody, it’s what they’re doing currently and who they’re in.”
When discussing the cyberattack in December 2024, then-deputy national security adviser Anne Neuberger said the hackers worked to identify the owners of various devices, then spy on phone calls and text messages if they were “government targets of interest.”