Attorney for Rob Reiner's son drops out of his murder trial
A US judge this morning delayed Nick Reiner’s arraignment in the killing of his parents, Rob Reiner and Michele Singer Reiner, after his high-profile defence attorney asked to be replaced by a public defender.

In a recent courtroom decision, Judge Theresa McGonigle consented to attorney Alan Jackson’s request to withdraw from representing Nick Reiner, who was scheduled for arraignment and to enter a plea. The hearing, initially expected to move forward with Reiner’s plea, was thus postponed.

Although Jackson did not disclose his reasons for stepping down, the withdrawal led Judge McGonigle to reschedule the arraignment for February 23. This delay offers the defense additional time to prepare for the high-profile case.

Nick Reiner attends the Los Angeles Premiere of ''Spinal Tap II: The End Continues'' at The Egyptian Theatre in Los Angeles, California, on September 9.
Nick Reiner is accused of the murder of his parents, Rob and Michele Reiner. (CNN)

Appearing briefly in Los Angeles Superior Court on Wednesday, Nick Reiner presented a somber image in brown jail attire with his head shaved. His court appearance comes mere weeks after the tragic discovery of his parents, the revered actor-director and his wife of 36 years, who were both found fatally stabbed in their Brentwood home.

Judge McGonigle permitted media presence in the courtroom, allowing the use of cameras, but she imposed a restriction on photographing the defendant, maintaining a level of privacy for Reiner amidst the media attention.

Nick Reiner, age 32, is one of four children of Rob Reiner. Following his arrest last month, shortly after the discovery of his parents’ bodies, Reiner has been detained without the option of bail. He faces serious charges, accused of two counts of first-degree murder.

Michele Singer Reiner, Rob Reiner at SNL50: The Homecoming Concert at Radio City Music Hall on February 14, 2025 in New York, New York
The Reiners were found dead from multiple “sharp force injuries”. (Getty)

Nick Reiner, 32, the third of Rob Reiner’s four children, has been held without bail since his arrest last month, hours after his parents were found dead. He was charged two days later with two counts of first-degree murder.

He also did not enter a plea during a brief first court appearance December 17, when he wore shackles and a suicide prevention smock. He was not wearing that smock Wednesday.

Jackson had given no indication of the plans for his defence. Before the judge took him off the case, Jackson told the judge there were 10 outstanding subpoenas in the defence’s investigation. The judge sealed the list of people and agreed it did not yet need to be shared with the prosecution.

Defense Attorney Steps Down from High-Profile Murder Case Involving Rob Reiner’s Son
Nick Reiner’s attorney Alan Jackson has been replaced at his own request. (AP)

Deputy Public Defender Kimberly Greene was assigned as Nick Reiner’s new attorney.

A decade ago, Nick Reiner publicly discussed his struggles with addiction and mental health after making a movie with his father, Being Charlie, that was very loosely based on their lives.

Rob Reiner, 78, and Michele Singer Reiner, 70, were killed early on the morning of December 14, and they were found in the late afternoon, authorities said. The LA County Medical Examiner said in initial findings that they died from “multiple sharp force injuries,” but released no other details, and police have said nothing about possible motives.

When Harry Met Sally... diner scene
Rob Reiner directed iconic films including When Harry Met Sally. (YouTube)

Jackson is a former LA County prosecutor who represented Harvey Weinstein at his Los Angeles trial and Karen Read at her intensely followed trials in Massachusetts. After the initial Reiner hearing, Jackson called the case “a devastating tragedy.”

He said the proceedings will be very complex and asked that the circumstances be met “not with a rush to judgment.”

The counts against Reiner come with special circumstances of multiple murders and an allegation that he used a dangerous weapon, a knife. The additions could mean a greater sentence.

NICK REINER COURT
Nick Reiner in court. (CNN/Mona Edwards)

Prosecutors have said they have not yet decided whether to seek the death penalty.

The prosecution is being led by Deputy District Attorney Habib Balian, whose recent cases included the Menendez brothers’ attempt at resentencing and the trial of Robert Durst.

Rob Reiner was a prolific director whose work included some of the most memorable and endlessly watchable movies of the 1980s and ’90s.

His credits included This is Spinal Tap, Stand By Me, A Few Good Men, and When Harry Met Sally, during the production of which he met Michele Singer, a photographer, and married her soon after.

You May Also Like

Court Rejects Trump DOJ Tactics to Save Unlawfully Appointed Prosecutor

Left: Sigal Chattah, left, attorney for Guard the Constitution Project founder Shawn…

Homeless Man Arrested After Allegedly Threatening to Kill Boyfriend With Rock

Staff report GAINESVILLE, Fla. – A 71-year-old Gainesville man, Joseph Ryan, was…

Police: Man Killed Girlfriend After She Returned From Hospital, Spoke With Grandmother

Left: Floyd Long (Mecklenburg County Jail). Right: Shaquina Harris (Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department).…

Boy Found Wandering Park at Night Says He’s ‘Alone’ and ‘Scared’ After Mother Abandoned Him, Police Say

Inset: Elena Sexton (Miami-Dade County Corrections & Rehabilitation). Background: Town Center Park…

Boy on Push Scooter Hit by Pickup and Left on Burning Asphalt as Mom Heard Screams, Family Says

Left inset: Ethan Turner (KSAZ/YouTube). Right inset: Glenn Noordhof (Pinal County Sheriff’s…

Police Say Vaping Dad Showed No Remorse After Infant Daughter Died While Left Alone for 43 Minutes

Inset: Celia Aurora Colby (Larkin Mortuary). Background: Murray Police Department in Utah…