Brian Flores’ discrimination lawsuit against NFL can proceed in open court, SDNY rules


Federal Court Clears Path for Brian Flores’ Discrimination Case Against NFL to Be Heard Publicly

A federal court in the Southern District of New York has determined that all allegations in Brian Flores’ discrimination lawsuit against the NFL and several teams, including the Giants, can advance to a public trial. This decision, announced Friday, overturns a prior ruling by the 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals that had directed some of Flores’ claims, along with those of fellow coaches Steve Wilks and Ray Horton, to NFL arbitration, where Commissioner Roger Goodell would serve as the arbitrator.

The legal representatives for the coaches, Douglas H. Wigdor and David E. Gottlieb, expressed their approval of the court’s ruling, stating, “The court’s decision acknowledges that an arbitration setup allowing the defendant’s own top executive to judge the case undermines employees’ legal rights.”

They further emphasized the need for the NFL to establish a fair, impartial, and transparent process for addressing such issues, noting that this realization is long overdue.

Flores, an African American, initiated legal action against the NFL, the Giants, the Denver Broncos, and the Houston Texans in early 2022. He accused the league of pervasive racism during his head coaching interviews following his dismissal from the Miami Dolphins.

Flores, who hails from Brooklyn, claimed that these teams interviewed him solely to comply with the NFL’s “Rooney Rule,” which mandates that teams must interview at least two minority candidates before making certain hiring decisions.

The Brooklyn-born Flores alleged those teams spoke to him only to satisfy the NFL’s “Rooney Rule,” which requires teams to interview at least two minority candidates before filling certain positions.

During that cycle, the Giants hired Brian Daboll as head coach. They denied the accusation made by Flores, who has been the Minnesota Vikings’ defensive coordinator since 2023.

Wilks, whose allegations are against the Arizona Cardinals, and Horton, whose claims are against the Tennessee Titans, joined Flores’ lawsuit in April 2022.

Earlier this month, Goodell voiced support for the Rooney Rule but said the NFL must continue to evaluate everything. Those comments came after only one of the NFL’s 10 head coach openings went to a minority coach — the Titans’ Robert Saleh – this offseason.

“I think we have become a more diverse league across every platform, including coaching, but we still have more work to do,” Goodell said at a press conference ahead of the Super Bowl.

“There’s got to be more steps. We’re reevaluating everything we’re doing, including our accelerator program and including every aspect of our policies in our programs to meet the challenges of today and tomorrow rather than yesterday. We need to be looking at that and say, ‘OK, why did we have [those] results this year?’”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Massachusetts Teen Accused of Killing Mom, Brother After ChatGPT Activity - Internewscast Journal

Massachusetts Teen Accused of Killing Mom, Brother After ChatGPT Activity

A 17-year-old Massachusetts teen accused of using ChatGPT to explore fantasies about…
ICE Boston Arrests Brazilian National Wanted for Murder Days Before Gov. Healey Signs Protect Act - Internewscast Journal

ICE Boston Arrests Brazilian National Wanted for Murder Days Before Gov. Healey Signs Protect Act

Tom Homan slams calls to abolish ICE as border enforcement hits records…
What Sparked the Wild Steakhouse Brawl in Beverly Hills? - Internewscast Journal

What Sparked the Wild Steakhouse Brawl in Beverly Hills?

A night out at one of Beverly Hills’ upscale steakhouses reportedly spiraled…
Woman Injured in Alaska Trail Bear Attack Fights Off Animal With Spray - Internewscast Journal

Woman Injured in Alaska Trail Bear Attack Fights Off Animal With Spray

A runner was injured in a bear attack on a well-used Alaska…
Trial Begins for Man Accused of Orchestrating Tupac Shakur’s 1996 Killing - Internewscast Journal

Trial Begins for Man Accused of Orchestrating Tupac Shakur’s 1996 Killing

Prosecutors are expected to rely heavily on the defendant’s own account, including…
Supporters Rally for Justice for Sweetie, Merced Husky, Amid Animal Cruelty Investigation - Internewscast Journal

Supporters Rally for Justice for Sweetie, Merced Husky, Amid Animal Cruelty Investigation

MERCED, Calif. — Animal welfare advocates and concerned residents rallied Friday outside…
NYPD Fatally Shoots Man With Butcher Knife Advancing at Cops - Internewscast Journal

NYPD Fatally Shoots Man With Butcher Knife Advancing at Cops

New York City police officers shot and killed a 54-year-old man Sunday…
California Farmer Loses Court Fight With Fruit Giant Giumarra - Internewscast Journal

California Farmer Loses Court Fight With Fruit Giant Giumarra

A California farmer who drew nationwide attention for giving away thousands of…
Trump Confirms IRGC Backchannel, Demands Iran Surrender - Internewscast Journal

Trump Confirms IRGC Backchannel, Demands Iran Surrender

Trump urges Iran to wave ‘white flag’ as ceasefire expires Ceasefire talks…
Louisiana Man Accused of Killing Wife, Driving Across States With Her Body - Internewscast Journal

Louisiana Man Accused of Killing Wife, Driving Across States With Her Body

FBI touts historic violent crime drop as Trump praises law enforcement Fox…
Lindsay Clancy Trial: Psychosis Searches Before Kids’ Deaths - Internewscast Journal

Lindsay Clancy Trial: Psychosis Searches Before Kids’ Deaths

PLYMOUTH, Mass. — In the weeks before Lindsay Clancy strangled her three…
Long Island Street Takeover: Road Blocked for Donuts, Burnouts - Internewscast Journal

Long Island Street Takeover: Road Blocked for Donuts, Burnouts

A late-night crackdown on an alleged Long Island street takeover ended with…