Child predator cleared for parole arrested after surprise warrant drops hours before prison release

A convicted child molester from California, who was on the verge of being released, has instead found himself facing new legal troubles. Authorities confirmed that a fresh arrest warrant was issued in Placer County, leading to his immediate handover to law enforcement.

David Allen Funston, aged 64, was apprehended around 7:30 a.m. by law enforcement following the issuance of new criminal charges by Placer County, according to the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR).

Funston was originally granted parole earlier this week, with plans for his release already in place. He was sentenced back in 1999 to life imprisonment with the possibility of parole after being convicted of heinous crimes involving the sexual abuse of children, including charges of kidnapping and committing lewd acts with a minor under the age of 14.

His potential release was facilitated through California’s Elderly Parole Program, having served over two decades behind bars. However, those plans have been halted as new allegations surface.

Mugshot of David Allen Funston

According to prosecutors in Placer County, Funston’s crimes date back to 1996, involving the kidnapping and molestation of a child in Roseville, which has now prompted the latest legal actions against him.

The unsettling past of Funston, captured in a mugshot shared by the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Office, reveals a history of multiple convictions for kidnapping and child molestation, underscoring the gravity of his offenses and the ongoing vigilance required in handling such cases.

Funston was convicted in 1999 of kidnapping and child molestation involving multiple victims. He was originally sentenced to three life terms in prison. However, under California’s Elderly Parole Program, he was granted parole suitability and scheduled for release from CDCR custody.

The Placer County District Attorney’s Office said it refiled charges against Funston stemming from the 1996 case within the state’s statute of limitations.

He was found suitable for parole at a hearing before the Board of Parole Hearings on Sept. 24, 2025.

On Jan. 9, 2026, Gov. Gavin Newsom referred the case back to the Board of Parole Hearings for an en banc review, in which a majority of appointed commissioners reconsider the prior parole decision. On Feb. 18, 2026, the board reaffirmed its recommendation that Funston receive parole.

Guard patrols California Institution for Men in Chino

A guard walks outside the California Institution for Men in Chino, a state prison facility. (Ann Johansson/Corbis via Getty Images)

Funston qualified for consideration under California’s statutory Elderly Parole Program, which allows individuals to be considered for release once they reach age 50 and have served at least 20 consecutive years of incarceration.

California GOP Chair Corrin Rankin said the last-minute arrest does not resolve what she described as broader failures in state policy.

“This last-minute warrant doesn’t fix the problem — it exposes it. California Democrats, led by Gavin Newsom, built a parole system that was ready and willing to release a violent child predator back into our community. Newsom signed the laws that created these loopholes, appointed the people who uphold them, and the Democratic majority in the legislature continues to prioritize the well-being of criminals over victims,” Rankin said.

The former prosecutor who helped put Funston behind bars also weighed in after news of the arrest.

“God bless Placer County DA for charging David Funston for crimes committed by this serial child predator,” the former prosecutor said. “Let’s remember that @CAgovernor signed the law allowing this to happen. But Placer DA stepped in to stop this insanity.”

For victims, the controversy remains deeply personal.

One of Funston’s victims, identified as Amelia, voiced outrage this week after learning the parole board had approved his release.

“I’m disgusted with the fact that they would even believe anything that he would happen to say,” Amelia told “The Ingraham Angle.” “I don’t believe that people like that change.”

Amelia said Funston’s abuse has had lasting consequences on her life, including ongoing trauma and difficulty conceiving.

“I would love to have a child, and this is what this man took from me. And I feel like, personally, that’s very hurtful,” she said. “I have trauma. I don’t trust anybody. I don’t trust anything.”

She also expressed concern for younger family members if Funston were to return to the Sacramento area.

“If he gets out, who knows if he’ll do it again?” Amelia said. “I was told that he fantasizes still about children… why would you let this man out? When he gets out, how do you not know if he will continue?”

Funston reportedly told the parole board he was “disgusted and ashamed” of his past behavior and “truly sorry” for the harm he caused. Amelia rejected that apology.

Funston’s impending release had drawn sharp criticism from Sacramento County Sheriff Jim Cooper and District Attorney Thien Ho, who warned he remained a danger to the community and sought intervention to stop his release.

It remains unclear when Funston will make his first court appearance in Placer County.

Stepheny Price covers crime, including missing persons, homicides and migrant crime. Send story tips to stepheny.price@fox.com.

Related Article

Child predator dubbed 'monster parents fear most' cleared for release through California parole program

You May Also Like

El-Sayed’s Attack on Rogers Backfires in Michigan Senate Race - Internewscast Journal

El-Sayed’s Attack on Rogers Backfires in Michigan Senate Race

Michigan’s Senate contest is quickly becoming one of the most closely watched…
Lindsay Clancy Trial: Psychosis Searches Before Kids’ Deaths - Internewscast Journal

Lindsay Clancy Trial: Psychosis Searches Before Kids’ Deaths

PLYMOUTH, Mass. — In the weeks before Lindsay Clancy strangled her three…
Louisiana Man Accused of Killing Wife, Driving Across States With Her Body - Internewscast Journal

Louisiana Man Accused of Killing Wife, Driving Across States With Her Body

FBI touts historic violent crime drop as Trump praises law enforcement Fox…
Trump’s World Liberty Wins Early Approval to Launch Crypto Bank - Internewscast Journal

Trump’s World Liberty Wins Early Approval to Launch Crypto Bank

A trust firm connected to the Trump family’s cryptocurrency venture, World Liberty…
Professor Jiang Xueqin Criticizes Los Angeles on Piers Morgan, Apologizes to China - Internewscast Journal

Professor Jiang Xueqin Criticizes Los Angeles on Piers Morgan, Apologizes to China

Chinese YouTube personality Professor Jiang Xueqin, host of the channel “Predictive History,”…
Chicago Storm Recovery: South Suburbs Seek Aid, Outages Continue - Internewscast Journal

Chicago Storm Recovery: South Suburbs Seek Aid, Outages Continue

CHICAGO () — At least seven people have died in storm-related incidents…
Dem Donor Fundraises for NY GOP Governor Hopeful Blakeman - Internewscast Journal

Dem Donor Fundraises for NY GOP Governor Hopeful Blakeman

A well-known Democratic donor who once gave to Gov. Kathy Hochul’s campaign…
California School Closures Accelerate as Student Enrollment Plummets Statewide - Internewscast Journal

California School Closures Accelerate as Student Enrollment Plummets Statewide

California is seeing a troubling wave of school closures. For more than…
Man With 7 Prior Convictions Arrested 3 Times in 12 Days Over Alleged Attacks on Women - Internewscast Journal

Man With 7 Prior Convictions Arrested 3 Times in 12 Days Over Alleged Attacks on Women

An Oklahoma man has been taken into custody three times in less…
Lala Regains Tropical Storm Strength, Lashing Hawaii With High Winds and Heavy Rain Without Landfall - Internewscast Journal

Lala Regains Tropical Storm Strength, Lashing Hawaii With High Winds and Heavy Rain Without Landfall

Hurricane Lala weakened into a tropical storm on Sunday after skirting Hawaii…
NYPD Fatally Shoots Man With Butcher Knife Advancing at Cops - Internewscast Journal

NYPD Fatally Shoots Man With Butcher Knife Advancing at Cops

New York City police officers shot and killed a 54-year-old man Sunday…
Massive 3.6M-Year-Old Megalodon Tooth Found on Jersey Shore - Internewscast Journal

Massive 3.6M-Year-Old Megalodon Tooth Found on Jersey Shore

Call it a truly toothsome treasure from the deep. A Pennsylvania father…