Singer D4vd arrested in connection with murder of Celeste Rivas, LAPD says

LOS ANGELES — The alt-pop artist known as D4vd has been formally charged with murder as well as several other counts in relation to the “brutal and horrific” death of 14-year-old Celeste Rivas Hernandez. The young girl’s body was discovered in the singer’s Tesla after it had been towed, prosecutors revealed on Monday.

Los Angeles County District Attorney Nathan Hochman, joined by Los Angeles Police Chief Jim McDonnell, announced the charges during a press conference held earlier in the day.

In addition to the murder charge, D4vd faces accusations of engaging in “continuous sexual acts, lewd and lascivious conduct with a minor under 14, and mutilating human remains,” according to the district attorney’s office.

D4vd, whose real name is David Anthony Burke, appeared in court on Monday afternoon for his arraignment, where he entered a plea of not guilty to all charges. He is currently being held without bail.

Rising Star D4vd Faces Court as He Pleads Not Guilty in Shocking Murder Case Involving Teen

“These charges represent the most severe allegations that our office can pursue, including first-degree murder with special circumstances,” Hochman stated. One of these special circumstances is the claim that D4vd allegedly murdered the teenager for financial gain, purportedly to protect his successful music career, which Celeste was reportedly threatening.

Rising Star D4vd Faces Court as He Pleads Not Guilty in Shocking Murder Case Involving Teen
(Left) L.A. County District Attorney’s Office | (Right) Steinfeld Law Firm

Burke, the musician behind the stage name D4vd, was taken into custody on Thursday in connection with Celeste’s tragic death.

The 21-year-old singer faces a maximum sentence of the possibility of life in prison without the possibility of parole or the death penalty if convicted as charged, Hochman said, adding that the determination of whether prosecutors will seek the death penalty will be made at a later time.

Los Angeles County District Attorney Nathan Hochman outlined the charges against the singer D4vd at a morning press conference.

“I am a parent of three children,” Hochman said. “And a parent’s nightmare is a situation where your daughter goes out one night and never comes back.”

Celeste’s mother, father and sister will attend D4vd’s hearing on Monday afternoon, an attorney for the family told ABC7. Afterward, they are expected to make a statement through their attorney at a news conference.

The teen’s dismembered body was found in the trunk of a Tesla registered to the singer last fall.

RELATED: Timeline of investigation into killing of 14-year-old Celeste Rivas Hernandez

D4vd has been arrested on suspicion of killing 14-year-old Celeste Rivas Hernandez. Here’s timeline of how the investigation unfolded.

Sources told ABC News the arrest was based on evidence and probable cause that was developed. Last week, the medical examiner’s office ruled the teen’s death a homicide.

“The Burkes are not surprised but are terribly disappointed that the District Attorney chose to charge” D4vd, the singer’s parents said in a statement provided to ABC7 by their attorney. “Nevertheless, they support and stand by him one hundred percent.”

Throughout the seven-month investigation, LAPD has faced criticism for how it has handled the case and for its decision not to provide details, McDonnell noted at Monday’s news conference.

“I want to be clear about something — my duty is not to fuel speculation, it’s to deliver justice,” the police chief said. “And that requires patience and discipline on everybody’s part. This investigation was driven by a single purpose: to secure justice for Celeste Rivas and for those who loved her.

“We had to be certain that nothing we said or did would ever jeopardize this case.”

Celeste, a reported runaway from Riverside County, was last known to be alive on April 23, 2025, when she arrived at D4vd’s rented home in the Hollywood Hills, according to McDonnell. She was never heard from again, Hochman said.

“During the course of our investigation, detectives learned that she had been involved in a sexual relationship with Mr. Burke when she was a minor and he was an adult,” the police chief said.

READ MORE: Who is D4vd? Singer arrested in 14-year-old’s death started as video game streamer

Singer D4vd’s rising career has now been overshadowed by his arrest in connection with the death of 14-year-old Celeste Rivas Hernandez.

In a statement to ABC7, D4vd’s attorney said his client is innocent and did not kill Celeste.

“Let us be clear – the actual evidence in this case will show that David Burke did not murder Celeste Rivas Hernandez and he was not the cause of her death,” the statement read. “There has been no indictment returned by any grand jury in this case and no criminal complaint filed. David has only been detained under suspicion. We will vigorously defend David’s innocence.”

Copyright © 2026 KABC Television, LLC. All rights reserved.

You May Also Like

What Sparked the Wild Steakhouse Brawl in Beverly Hills? - Internewscast Journal

What Sparked the Wild Steakhouse Brawl in Beverly Hills?

A night out at one of Beverly Hills’ upscale steakhouses reportedly spiraled…
Luigi Mangione’s NYC Murder Trial Delayed After Plea Twist - Internewscast Journal

Luigi Mangione’s NYC Murder Trial Delayed After Plea Twist

Luigi Mangione’s state murder trial will not move forward next month as…
NYC Mom Killed in Suspected Murder-Suicide Devoted Life to Son - Internewscast Journal

NYC Mom Killed in Suspected Murder-Suicide Devoted Life to Son

A Staten Island mother killed in a suspected murder-suicide last week is…
Cryptic Clue May Put California Teen Murder Suspect in Adult Court - Internewscast Journal

Cryptic Clue May Put California Teen Murder Suspect in Adult Court

A mysterious graffiti mark found above the battered body of 18-year-old Max…
ICE Boston Arrests Brazilian National Wanted for Murder Days Before Gov. Healey Signs Protect Act - Internewscast Journal

ICE Boston Arrests Brazilian National Wanted for Murder Days Before Gov. Healey Signs Protect Act

Tom Homan slams calls to abolish ICE as border enforcement hits records…
Melania Trump Helps 34th Ukrainian Child Reunite With Family - Internewscast Journal

Melania Trump Helps 34th Ukrainian Child Reunite With Family

WASHINGTON – Melania Trump has helped bring another Ukrainian child back to…
Suffolk County Quietly Approves $4M Gunshot Detector Deal With Controversial Surveillance Firm - Internewscast Journal

Suffolk County Quietly Approves $4M Gunshot Detector Deal With Controversial Surveillance Firm

Suffolk County has quietly approved a five-year contract worth nearly $4 million…
Why Diego Garcia Is Integral to US Strategy in Iran War - Internewscast Journal

Why Diego Garcia Is Integral to US Strategy in Iran War

Iran fires missiles toward US-UK military base President Trump’s warning that he…
Hayden Panettiere’s Life, Losses, and Public Struggles: What We Know - Internewscast Journal

Hayden Panettiere’s Life, Losses, and Public Struggles: What We Know

Hayden Panettiere, the actress known to millions for her role on “Nashville,”…
Long Island Street Takeover: Road Blocked for Donuts, Burnouts - Internewscast Journal

Long Island Street Takeover: Road Blocked for Donuts, Burnouts

A late-night crackdown on an alleged Long Island street takeover ended with…
Police Investigate Special Education Teacher After Black Militia Video Surfaces - Internewscast Journal

Police Investigate Special Education Teacher After Black Militia Video Surfaces

A special education teacher accused of urging Black people online to “shoot…
Australia Announces Sweeping Gun Buyback After Bondi Beach Terror Attack as Push for Sensible Reform Grows - Internewscast Journal

Australia Announces Sweeping Gun Buyback After Bondi Beach Terror Attack as Push for Sensible Reform Grows

New South Wales is preparing to launch Australia’s first state-run gun buyback…