Major blow to Putin in Africa as Russian forces driven from Mali stronghold by separatists, jihadists

In Johannesburg, the news of a significant setback for Russia’s mercenary forces in Mali is making waves. The mercenaries faced fierce opposition from jihadist and tribal militias, marking a notable defeat. Deadly raids orchestrated by al Qaeda-linked insurgents and predominantly Muslim Tuareg tribesmen continue to plague cities throughout the West African nation. Compounding the chaos, there are reports that prominent figures within Mali’s military junta have been either killed or wounded.

Experts suggest that this could represent a pivotal moment in Russia’s sway over West Africa. The Kremlin had been exploiting Mali’s rich mineral deposits, including gold, in exchange for a promise to shield the nation from insurgent threats. However, on Sunday, reports surfaced that Russian mercenaries were compelled to abandon their stronghold in the northern city of Kidal.

Ulf Laessing, who leads the Sahel program at the Konrad Adenauer Foundation, shared with the Associated Press, “The attacks are a significant setback for Russia.” He further noted, “The mercenaries were blindsided by the attacks, lacking crucial intelligence, and could not secure key cities. Their failure to differentiate between civilians and combatants has unnecessarily intensified the conflict.”

Footage viewed by Fox News Digital shows deceased soldiers, believed to be Russian based on their appearance, and Russian military vehicles reportedly departing Kidal. This visual evidence further highlights the unfolding crisis.

Mali fighting.

Amidst the chaos, a column of dark smoke towers over buildings in Bamako, as vehicles navigate past the Africa Tower monument. The synchronized assaults on April 25, 2026, carried out by Tuareg rebels from the Azawad Liberation Front coalition and the jihadist Group for the Support of Islam and Muslims (JNIM), targeted multiple locations in the expansive, arid region. Violence flared again on April 26 in several areas, including Kita near Bamako, as well as in Kidal, Gao, and Sévaré. Meanwhile, Tuareg rebels declared an agreement allowing Russian forces supporting Mali’s army to withdraw from Kidal, a city they claim is now entirely under their control.

The Defense News Nigeria media site reported that Russia’s Africa Corps stated in Kidal “they were heavily outnumbered by a ratio of 6 to 1,” adding “the Corps claimed that between 10,000 and 12,000 fighters were involved in yesterday’s attacks. There are 2,000 Russian mercenaries operating in Mali. The Malian government pays Wagner $10 million per month for security,” according to the Nigerian publication.

A Russian blog on Telegram Monday, claiming to come from Kidal, stated “the units of the African Corps that were stationed and fought in Kidal left this settlement together with the military personnel of the Malian army. First of all, wounded servicemen and heavy equipment were evacuated. The personnel continues to carry out the assigned combat mission. The situation in the Republic of Mali remains difficult.”

A spokesperson for the Tuareg-led Azawad Liberation Front, or FLA, told the Associated Press that the Russian troops have withdrawn from the city after a “white” agreement was reached. This has not been confirmed by either Mali’s government or Russia’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Wagner group members in Mali

This undated photograph handed out by the French military shows three Russian mercenaries, right, in northern Mali. Russia has engaged in under-the-radar military operations in at least half a dozen countries in Africa in the last five years using a shadowy mercenary force analysts say is loyal to President Vladimir Putin. The analysts say the Africa Corps, formerly the Wagner Group, of mercenaries is also key to Putin’s ambitions to re-impose Russian influence on a global scale.  (French Army via AP)

Russia’s ministry of foreign affairs said on its Telegram account that “two hundred and fifty militants attacked Bamako Senou International Airport and the military base located nearby. The Malian Armed Forces repelled the attack and are currently taking further steps to eliminate the militia that may have been, reportedly, trained by Western security agencies. Russia is deeply concerned about these developments. This terrorist activity poses a direct threat to the stability of friendly Mali and could have the most serious consequences for the entire region.” 

Mali’s military junta, which first took power in a coup in 2020, Monday announced that both the chief of the armed forces’ general staff, Gen. Oumar Diarra, and the director of the national security agency, Gen. Modibo Koné, have been wounded in attacks.

The government confirmed earlier that Sadio Camara, said to be the second most important figure in Mali’s military junta, had been killed in the fighting. Camara was Mali’s defense minister, and is widely credited with bringing in Moscow’s mercenary Africa Corps to assist in battling the militia.

The rebels attempting to take over Mali are said to be jihadists from the Nusrat al-Islam (GSIM/JNIM) linked with the tribesmen of the FLA and other groups, including at least one linked with Islamic State. The GSIM’s declared aim is to turn Mali into an al Qaeda-linked Islamic caliphate with strict Sharia law.

“The United States strongly condemns the terrorist attack in Mali,” a State Department spokesperson told Fox News Digital Monday, adding: “We extend our deepest condolences to the victims, their families, and all those affected. We stand with the Malian people and government in the face of this violence. The United States remains committed to supporting efforts to advance peace, stability, and security across Mali and the region.”

Wagner troops standing in a group in Mali

File picture of Wagner group forces, now known as the Russia Corps, in Mali in 2024. (East2West)

The U.S. Embassy in Mali warned Sunday on its website that “U.S. citizens should continue to shelter in place, remain alert, follow local news for updates, and avoid areas where security operations may be underway.”

On Monday, multiple reports said Malian troops and Russian mercenaries have also been forced by rebels to withdraw from the northern Malian city of Tessit. At the time of publication, this had not been confirmed by the Malian government.

You May Also Like

Xavier Becerra Defends Lack of Specifics in His Policy Platform - Internewscast Journal

Xavier Becerra Defends Lack of Specifics in His Policy Platform

Xavier Becerra, the Democratic frontrunner in the California governor’s race, has floated…
Two shot after argument at high school football game at Legends Center, JSO says

2 Shot After Argument at Legends Center High School Football Game, JSO Says

Two adults are expected to recover after a shooting Friday night, while…
Police identify suspect accused of terrorizing Philadelphia women while wearing creepy Chucky-style mask

Philadelphia Chucky-Mask Suspect May Be in Los Angeles Area

A man accused of frightening and threatening people in downtown Philadelphia last…
JD Vance Rips Abdul El-Sayed Over Sharia Comments: ‘Not My Grandpa’s Democratic Party’ - Internewscast Journal

JD Vance Rips Abdul El-Sayed Over Sharia Comments: ‘Not My Grandpa’s Democratic Party’

Vice President JD Vance singled out Abdul El-Sayed in a broader critique…
Iryna Zarutska’s Family Files Wrongful Death Lawsuit Against Charlotte Over Fatal Train Stabbing - Internewscast Journal

Iryna Zarutska’s Family Files Wrongful Death Lawsuit Against Charlotte Over Fatal Train Stabbing

The family of Iryna Zarutska has filed a lawsuit against the city…
Portugal Enacts Burqa Law Limiting Face Coverings in Public - Internewscast Journal

Portugal Enacts Burqa Law Limiting Face Coverings in Public

Portuguese President António José Seguro has signed into law a measure that…
New Jersey Mother Accused of Drunk Boating in Memorial Day Crash That Killed Her Son - Internewscast Journal

New Jersey Mother Accused of Drunk Boating in Memorial Day Crash That Killed Her Son

One dead, three missing after boat sinks near Alcatraz A deadly boating…
CDC Issues Safety Alert on Alfalfa Sprouts After 55 Illnesses Nationwide, Including 2 in New York - Internewscast Journal

CDC Issues Safety Alert on Alfalfa Sprouts After 55 Illnesses Nationwide, Including 2 in New York

It may be time to skip alfalfa sprouts for now. The CDC…
Trump administration sanctions sitting president of the International Criminal Court for 'abuses of power'

Trump Administration Sanctions International Criminal Court President, Citing Abuses of Power

Mamdani, Netanyahu and the ICC Paul Gigot joined Wall Street Journal commentators…
Tupac Shakur murder trial's first week sees heated testimony from reluctant witnesses with old gangland ties

Tupac Shakur Murder Trial Opens With Heated Testimony From Reluctant Witnesses With Gang Ties

The opening week of the long-awaited murder trial in Tupac Shakur’s killing…
TikTok to Pay $400M Over Children's Online Privacy Claims - Internewscast Journal

TikTok to Pay $400M Over Children’s Online Privacy Claims

The Justice Department announced Friday that TikTok and its China-based parent company,…
Xandria Harris Found Guilty in Shooting That Killed Bradley Sgt. Marlene Rittmanic and Wounded Officer Tyler Bailey - Internewscast Journal

Xandria Harris Found Guilty in Shooting That Killed Bradley Sgt. Marlene Rittmanic and Wounded Officer Tyler Bailey

KANKAKEE, Ill. — Xandria Harris has been convicted in connection with the…