Death row inmate who ate 3 last meals granted bond after Supreme Court overturned his conviction

Richard Glossip, once a death row inmate, is poised to be released on bond as he waits for a retrial concerning a 1997 murder case. He previously faced execution thrice, each time selecting a last meal.

On Thursday, Judge Natalie Mai evaluated the extensive case records and determined that she could not deny bail to Glossip, who was initially found guilty of first-degree murder in 1998.

The judge set the bond at $500,000, stipulating that Glossip must remain in Oklahoma and be monitored electronically.

Richard Glossip, the former death row inmate, makes his way to the courtroom in the Oklahoma County Courthouse in Oklahoma City on Thursday, Oct. 30, 2025. (© BRYAN TERRY/THE OKLAHOMAN / USA TODAY NETWORK via Imagn Images)

This decision follows the U.S. Supreme Court’s ruling in February, which overturned Glossip’s conviction and death sentence. The Court found that prosecutors had not addressed false testimony from Justin Sneed, the actual killer who dodged execution by implicating Glossip.

The Supreme Court has mandated a new trial, expressing concerns that the jury was not informed of significant details regarding Sneed’s mental health and reliability as a witness.

In Thursday’s order, Mai noted the unusually extensive record developed over nearly three decades of litigation and said the state could not meet the high constitutional standard required to deny bail in a capital case.

Former death row inmate Richard Glossip sits next to his lawyer Don Knight in an Oklahoma County courtroom in Oklahoma City, Thursday, Sept. 4, 2025. (BRYAN TERRY/THE OKLAHOMAN / USA TODAY NETWORK via Imagn Images)

In a statement to Fox News Digital, Glossip’s attorney, Don Knight, said that Glossip ate a remarkable three last meals and will get the chance “to taste freedom.”

“We are extremely grateful that Judge Natalie Mai has granted Richard Glossip a bond.  In doing so, she rejected the State’s claim that there is a strong case for guilt. For the first time in 29 years of being incarcerated for a crime he did not commit, during which he faced nine execution dates and ate three last meals,” Knight said.

“Mr. Glossip now has the chance to taste freedom while his defense team continues to pursue justice on his behalf against a system that the United States Supreme Court has found to be guilty of serious misconduct by state prosecutors. Mr. Glossip is deeply grateful to the many thousands of people who have expressed support for him over the years and now looks forward to the day when he is exonerated and truly free from this decades-long nightmare.”

Former death row inmate Richard Glossip leaves to an Oklahoma County courtroom

Former death row inmate Richard Glossip leaves an Oklahoma County courtroom in an Oklahoma County courtroom in Oklahoma City, Thursday, Sept. 4, 2025. (© BRYAN TERRY/THE OKLAHOMAN / USA TODAY NETWORK via Imagn Images)

He was convicted for the 1997 killing of his former boss, Barry Van Treese. The motel owner was beaten to death by Sneed, a maintenance worker, but state prosecutors said Glossip ordered him to carry out the crime in a murder-for-hire plot.

Glossip has been incarcerated since January 1997.

<!–>

–>

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Karmelo Anthony Prosecutor Reveals Evidence Jury Never Saw - Internewscast Journal

Karmelo Anthony Prosecutor Reveals Evidence Jury Never Saw

Hours before Austin Metcalf was fatally stabbed, Karmelo Anthony’s former girlfriend had…
Harvard Wins Dismissal of Antisemitism Lawsuit as Judge Sides With University - Internewscast Journal

Harvard Wins Dismissal of Antisemitism Lawsuit as Judge Sides With University

– Harvard wins dismissal of DOJ antisemitism lawsuit before a local federal…
Karmelo Anthony Scores Legal Victory as Trial Judge Is Removed From Appeal - Internewscast Journal

Karmelo Anthony Scores Legal Victory as Trial Judge Is Removed From Appeal

Karmelo Anthony, who was previously convicted in the murder of 17-year-old Austin…
Family Checks Vegas Morgues for Missing New York Grandmother - Internewscast Journal

Family Checks Vegas Morgues for Missing New York Grandmother

The daughter of a New York grandmother who disappeared during a trip…
Melania Trump Teams Up With IndyCar to Expand Scholarships for Foster Youth - Internewscast Journal

Melania Trump Teams Up With IndyCar to Expand Scholarships for Foster Youth

WASHINGTON — Melania Trump is set to unveil a fresh slate of…
Court Docs: Driver in Tennessee Crash That Killed 2 College Cyclists Allegedly Never Braked - Internewscast Journal

Court Docs: Driver in Tennessee Crash That Killed 2 College Cyclists Allegedly Never Braked

A Tennessee motorist accused of plowing into a group of college cyclists,…
Melania Trump laughs off reports of her disappearance: 'I heard you missed me'

Melania Trump Dismisses Disappearance Rumors With ‘I Heard You Missed Me’

WASHINGTON — First lady Melania Trump cut through days of speculation about…
Police ID Chucky-Mask Suspect Accused of Terrorizing Philly Women - Internewscast Journal

Police ID Chucky-Mask Suspect Accused of Terrorizing Philly Women

Philadelphia police say they have identified the masked suspect accused of frightening…
Lindsay Clancy’s Ex-Husband Quietly Remarries, Starts New Chapter Amid Her Murder Trial - Internewscast Journal

Lindsay Clancy’s Ex-Husband Quietly Remarries, Starts New Chapter Amid Her Murder Trial

If you or someone you know is experiencing suicidal thoughts, call the…
U.S. Sanctions Crack Down on Ecuador Cocaine Smuggling Network - Internewscast Journal

U.S. Sanctions Crack Down on Ecuador Cocaine Smuggling Network

Washington — The United States announced a new round of sanctions Thursday…
Irish Authorities Seek Extradition in American Mom Jamey Carney’s Murder - Internewscast Journal

Irish Authorities Seek Extradition in American Mom Jamey Carney’s Murder

Irish officials are reportedly moving to secure a warrant aimed at extraditing…
King Charles Learned of Harry and Meghan’s UK Return Days Ago - Internewscast Journal

King Charles Learned of Harry and Meghan’s UK Return Days Ago

King Charles was reportedly caught off guard by Prince Harry and Meghan…