Harvard University has reached a proposed $53 million settlement with families who alleged the school failed to properly oversee its anatomical gift program after a former morgue manager stole and sold body parts from cadavers donated for medical research and education.
Massachusetts Superior Court Judge Debra A. Squires-Lee gave preliminary approval Tuesday to the class action agreement, which would create two settlement funds totaling $53 million to resolve the claims against the university.
The court is set to hold a final approval hearing on Dec. 9, 2026, when it will decide whether the settlement should receive final approval.
SAN FRANCISCO ARCHDIOCESE AGREES TO $395M SETTLEMENT WITH 530 CLERGY ABUSE SURVIVORS
Harvard Medical School morgue manager Cedric Lodge (Marcio Silva/Getty Images, Steven Porter/The Boston Globe via Getty Images)
The case stemmed from the 2023 arrest of Cedric Lodge, who oversaw the Harvard Medical School morgue for nearly 30 years. Prosecutors said Lodge stole and sold parts from bodies that had been donated to the school to advance medical education and research.
Lodge pleaded guilty to interstate transport of stolen human remains and received an eight-year prison sentence. His wife, Denise Lodge, was sentenced to 12 months and one day behind bars.
Former Harvard Medical School morgue manager Cedric Lodge was sentenced to eight years in prison after pleading guilty to interstate transport of stolen human remains. (Steven Porter/The Boston Globe via Getty Images)
Lodge admitted that, from 2018 through at least March 2020, he participated in the sale and interstate transport of human remains stolen from the Harvard Medical School morgue, including organs, brains, skin, hands, faces, dissected heads and other parts from donated cadavers after they had been used for research and teaching purposes but before they were disposed of in accordance with anatomical gift donation agreements.
He transported the remains to his home in New Hampshire without the knowledge or permission of Harvard, the donors or their families, officials said.
Harvard condemned Lodge’s conduct in a message to the school’s community Monday.
“His violations … were despicable, abhorrent, and a flagrant betrayal of our values as a medical community,” George Daley, Harvard’s dean of the faculty of medicine, and Bernard Chang, dean for medical education at Harvard Medical School, wrote in the letter.
The university noted that the federal indictment said Lodge acted “without the knowledge or permission of HMS.”
A Massachusetts judge granted preliminary approval to a $53 million class action settlement involving Harvard University and families of anatomical donors. (Zhu Ziyu/VCG via Getty Images)
Harvard said the proposed settlement also includes a pledge by HMS to provide a statement to claimant families reaffirming that Lodge’s criminal acts were “morally reprehensible and inconsistent with the standards that Harvard University and HMS expect for the treatment of anatomical donors and their loved ones.”
The university also said it will establish an annual financial aid scholarship for medical students beginning in the 2027-2028 academic year in appreciation and honor of its anatomical donors.
“We hope that this resolution ensures that this never happens to another family ever again,” John Morgan, whose law firm, Morgan & Morgan, represented families in the litigation, said in a statement.


