A fresh row over cricket etiquette has erupted at the Over-60 World Cup in Canada, coming only weeks after Saltburn’s so-called ‘Clicky Ponting’ saga made headlines around the world.
Last month, Brian Devine, an amateur cricketer from Saltburn in North Yorkshire, became a viral talking point after footage appeared to show him fielding at slip while clicking his fingers to mimic the sound of ball on bat.
The apparent ploy was aimed at persuading the umpire to give a caught-behind decision, and video evidence suggested Devine had not only managed to pull it off, but had done so more than once.
His actions sparked widespread outrage, stunned many within the cricket community, and led to Saltburn suspending him soon afterwards.
The episode also earned him the nickname ‘Clicky Ponting’, a play on the name of former Australia batting great Ricky Ponting.

England batsman Temoor Alam was given out leg before wicket but refused to leave

Alam insisted he shouldn’t have been given out and the decision was eventually overturned
Now, the tournament has been hit by another flashpoint involving claims of poor conduct on the cricket field.
In an Over-60 World Cup game between England and India on Monday, England batsman Temoor Alam was given out leg before wicket with his team 62 for two.
Despite being dismissed by the umpire having scored 30 runs, Alam refused to leave the field after initially waving his bat to suggest he’d hit the ball.
After a lengthy delay of over 15 minutes while Alam stayed put, insisting he shouldn’t have been given out, the decision was overturned based on the batsman’s refusal to move.
Alam went on to score another 10 runs before being dismissed for 40 as England posted 167 for 7 from their allotted 45 overs.
They then dismissed India for 159, winning by eight runs. As such, the 10 extra runs made by Alam after he was first given out were crucial in England’s success.
The incident has not been condemned by the English side. At the time he was given out LBW, Alam was batting with England captain Edward Lennox.
However, those close to the World Cup tournament and who were at the England-India match have described Alam’s actions as ‘an absolute disgrace’ and ‘a blemish on our great game.’ Another added: ‘It’s the single worst incident I have ever experienced in decades of cricket.’ Alam played against New Zealand in England’s next game on Tuesday.
The incident has been well-publicised on social media, with even South African cricketing great Barry Richards having his say.
Richards wrote on Facebook: ‘No. This can’t be right. Life ban probably but certainly match forfeit. If this is allowed to rest, rod for back comes to mind.’
The England-India game was streamed live online, with commentary provided by Rashid Mahmood from England. ‘He (Alam) is holding his bat out. He can’t do that,’ Mahmood said.
‘Temoor Alam. You have to walk. You cannot do that. Off you go. You may not agree with it.
‘There’s a bit of a conflab going on here. This is going to cause an absolute ruckus. Here we go. The umpire clearly signalled out.’
India’s players then seem confused as to why Alam has remained at the crease and a long delay ensues. In cricket rules, if a batter is given out by the umpire, they are required to respect the decision and leave the field.

Amateur cricket player Brian Devine was caught appearing to click his fingers to make it appear that a batter had been caught behind when in fact they hadn’t hit the ball at all

Devine was dubbed as ‘Clicky Ponting’ on social media for his actions on the cricket field
Alam did not do so before eventually, after a good 15 minutes, the decision was reversed and play started again. In a subsequent Facebook post, Mahmood said the Alam incident and subsequent fallout have ‘taken a toll a bit on me.’
He added: ‘Those that know me know I try to do my best. I’m always open and honest.
‘I am the England commentator but I try and be as fair as I can be. What I saw has prompted a lot of people from around the world to get in touch with me. I’m very grateful for the support.’
A statement from England Over-60’s said: ‘Many are aware of the incident that took place between England and India on Monday at the Over 60s World Cup. The video stream and commentary showed a narrow perspective of the incident, meaning important moments were not seen.
‘As you would expect, the incident is being fully investigated, and England Cricket Seniors will publish a full explanation as soon as possible.
‘In the meantime, please accept that there were many things at play at the time, and so please avoid jumping to conclusions without the full facts. Thank you.’