Maryland bridge rebuild costs soar to $5.2B, more than double original estimate officials provided
Share this @internewscast.com

Maryland authorities have revealed that the timeline for reconstructing the Francis Scott Key Bridge will extend two years longer than anticipated, with costs exceeding twice the original estimate.

This announcement was made on Monday, just ahead of a National Transportation Safety Board meeting scheduled for Tuesday to discuss the 2024 bridge collapse that tragically claimed six lives. According to officials, the reconstruction project, now projected to finish in 2030, is expected to reach costs as high as $5.2 billion, as reported by The Washington Post.

“Estimating large-scale projects is challenging,” said Jim Harkness, Chief Engineer at the Maryland Transportation Authority. “Market dynamics play a significant role in these calculations.”

The Maryland Transportation Authority explained that the initial projection of approximately $1.9 billion was derived from quick assessments made to ensure the acquisition of federal funding.

The container ship Dali is seen in the wreckage of Francis Scott Key Bridge

An image captures the container ship Dali amid the wreckage of the Francis Scott Key Bridge nearly a week after it collided with a structural pier, leading to the bridge’s collapse on April 1, 2024. (Photo credit: Jerry Jackson/The Baltimore Sun/Tribune News Service/Getty Images)

Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy had earlier anticipated this surge in costs. In August, he cautioned that the expenses could potentially be “double plus” the original estimate.

“It’s like if you go to dinner, and someone else is buying, you might order the finest, most expensive steak on the menu, versus if you’re buying, you might go, ‘I might get a little cheaper cut,’” Duffy said at the time.

Gov. Wes Moore, a Democrat, also noted in a statement to the Post that material costs have risen since the initial prediction last year.

Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy at House Republicans' government shutdown press conference

Secretary of Transportation Sean Duffy predicted in August that the price tag for repairing the Key Bridge would spike. (Eric Lee/Getty Images)

President Donald Trump’s administration pushed back on Moore’s rebuilding plans in September, with Duffy writing a letter to the governor thanking him for working with USDOT on the project but expressing concern that Annapolis may “intend to award contracts for the FSK Bridge project in a manner that relies on race and sex of contractors.”

He warned the governor of the potential legal ramifications of doing so, citing the Civil Rights Act.

Cargo ship crashes into the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore

The Francis Scott Key Bridge was built in 1977 and saw around 31,000 vehicles daily before its collapse last year. (Tasos Katopodis)

On the day it collapsed, then-President Joe Biden separately promised the federal government would cover the entire estimated $1.8 billion cost to make Interstate 695 a full circle once more, while Duffy instead referenced the state – as the MDTA controlled the FSK Bridge when it collapsed.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Cleveland Browns safety Ronnie Hickman jumped by group outside trendy Lower East Side hotel

Cleveland Browns’ Ronnie Hickman Involved in Incident Near Popular Lower East Side Hotel

Ronnie Hickman, a safety for the Cleveland Browns, found himself the victim…
Students turn on Visalia high schoolers caught in homophobic display

Visalia High School Students Face Backlash Over Homophobic Incident

A group of high school seniors in California is facing potential disciplinary…
Australian activist says Billie Eilish got him deported from the US

Australian Activist Claims Billie Eilish’s Influence Led to His U.S. Deportation

In an unexpected twist, an Australian influencer and self-proclaimed “performance artist” has…
Jets Mailbag: Outside of getting QB right, what must Aaron Glenn do to remain coach in 2027?

Jets Mailbag: Beyond Securing the Quarterback Position, What Steps Must Aaron Glenn Take to Ensure His Coaching Role Through 2027?

With Super Bowl LX fading into the rearview mirror, the focus shifts…
NYC boots Israel drone supplier from Brooklyn Navy Yard — after Mamdani took office

Brooklyn Navy Yard Ends Partnership with Israeli Drone Company Following Mamdani’s Appointment

A New York City-based manufacturer known for providing drones to Israel for…
Ukrainian refugee and military boyfriend shot dead in bed allegedly by jealous ex

Tragic Double Homicide: Ukrainian Refugee and Partner Allegedly Killed by Ex in Jealous Rage

Authorities report that a Ukrainian refugee and her soldier partner were tragically…
Colin Gray trial: Opening statements start in the trial of a Georgia Apalachee High School shooting suspect's father

Opening Statements Commence in Colin Gray Trial, Father of Georgia Apalachee High School Shooting Suspect

In the quiet town of Winder, Georgia, a courtroom is poised to…
Christian mother, teacher found dead as police hunt homicide suspect in Ohio home invasion

Tragic Ohio Home Invasion: Christian Mother and Teacher Found Dead, Police Intensify Search for Homicide Suspect

A tragic incident has unfolded in Ohio, where a mother of two…
Carnival 2026 samba queens set Rio ablaze in jaw-dropping costumes: PHOTOS

Dazzling Samba Queens Ignite Rio Carnival 2026 with Show-Stopping Costumes [PHOTOS]

The vibrant spectacle of the Rio Carnival, a highlight of Brazil’s cultural…
Barack Obama clarifies casual claim aliens are ‘real,' insists he 'saw no evidence' during presidency

Barack Obama Addresses Alien Speculation: Clarifies No Evidence of Extraterrestrial Life During Presidency

WASHINGTON — He needed to clear the air. Former President Barack Obama…
'Clown': Gavin Newsom Files Hurt Feelings Report on Ted Cruz, Commits Embarrassing Self-Own Instead

California vs. Texas: Gavin Newsom’s Blunder in Feud with Ted Cruz Sparks Online Frenzy

As 2026 unfolds, the Democratic Party finds itself in a familiar position,…
Cuban drivers face monthslong wait for gasoline in a government app designed to reduce lines

Cuban Drivers Endure Lengthy Gasoline Waits Despite New Government App: A Deep Dive into Fueling Frustrations

By ANDREA RODRIGUEZ HAVANA, Cuba (AP) — Drivers in Cuba are bracing…