Etan Patz Murder: Child Killer’s Conviction Overturned as Possible Retrial Looms

A federal judge is reviewing the overturned conviction of a New York man convicted of the 1979 murder of 6-year-old Etan Patz.

The ABC 6 report highlights the recent decision by the 2nd US Circuit Court of Appeals, which stated that Pedro Hernandez should be “retried or released” following the overturning of his conviction in July. This decision stemmed from flawed jury instructions during his trial.

It was determined by a panel of three judges that during Hernandez’s 2017 murder trial, the judge provided improper instructions regarding Hernandez’s confession.

“When deliberating during his second trial, the jury sent the judge three different notes about Hernandez’s confessions,” an order in July detailed.

Specifically, there was a request from the jury to clarify if they needed to dismiss subsequent confessions, such as the videotaped accounts at the Camden County Prosecutor’s Office and the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office if Hernandez’s initial confession, made without a Miranda warning, was found to be involuntary.

Along with flawed jury instruction, the appeal claimed that there were also issues with police interrogation and Hernandez’s mental health.

Prosecutors have subsequently asked for 90 days to decide on retrying Hernandez, while the defense wants this decision made within a month.

Etan Patz Case: Conviction of Child’s Killer Overturned with Potential for Retrial
FILE – In this Nov. 15, 2012, file photo, Pedro Hernandez, right, appears in Manhattan criminal court with his attorney, Harvey Fishbein, in New York. Hernandez confessed in 2012 to killing the long-missing New York City boy, Etan Patz but Hernandez’s defense maintains his confessions are the false imaginings of a man who has an IQ in the lowest 2 percent of the population and has problems discerning reality from fiction. Fishbein – who has handled other murder cases involving psychiatric issues – and the prosecution differ on the extent and implications of Hernandez’s mental problems. Opening statements in Hernandez’s trial are set for Friday, Jan. 30, 2015. (AP Photo/Louis Lanzano, Pool, File)

As CrimeOnline detailed previously, Hernandez, who was an 18-year-old bodega clerk, admitted to enticing six-year-old Etan from a school bus stop in New York City with the promise of a soda and then strangling him.

Etan’s remains have never been found, and no forensic evidence has linked Hernandez to the crime.

Police initially arrested Hernandez for second-degree murder and first-degree kidnapping in 2012, but his first trial in 2015 ended with a hung jury.

In 2017, a jury deliberated for nine days before convicting him of both crimes.

Hernandez’s attorneys claimed he was mentally ill and that he only issued a confession after seven hours of police questioning.

The Manhattan DA’s office said Hernandez should remain incarcerated at Clinton Correctional Facility until the Supreme Court makes its decision.

US District Judge Colleen McMahon said she would make a ruling within a few days.

Check back for updates.

[Feature Photo: FILE – This May 28, 2012, file photo shows a newspaper featuring Etan Patz’s photo at a memorial in New York’s SoHo neighborhood where Patz lived before his disappearance on May 25, 1979. The memorial was situated near a building housing the convenience store where Pedro Hernandez, accused of Patz’s murder, confessed to police 33 years later that he had choked the boy and placed him in a plastic bag, then boxed it up and abandoned it on a street. Hernandez’s trial began on Friday, Jan. 30, 2015. (AP Photo/Mark Lennihan, File)]

You May Also Like

Suit: Man Followed Woman in Dollar Tree, Attacked With Fluids

Dollar Tree stores nationwide have been cited in lawsuits as alleged targets…

Driver, 82, Avoids Jail After Hitting 7-Year-Old on E-Scooter

Inset: Karina Pubchara-Martinez (WTVJ). Background: The Miami intersection of SW 32nd Street…

Police: Daycare Employee Threatened Center to Trigger Lockdown During Heat Wave

Inset: Kayla Canler (Warren County Sheriff’s Office). Background: The Kentucky area where…

Man Hid Neighbor’s Body in Tarp for Months After Shooting Him

Inset: Carlos Maldonado (Court TV). Background: Kevin Lychwick at his sentencing hearing…

Trader Joe’s Manager Killed by Police During Gunman’s Standoff After Grandmother and Teen Girlfriend Shot

Inset: Melyda “Mely” Corado (Facebook). Background: KTLA news footage shows Gene Atkins…

Gainesville Felon Gets 46 Months for Federal Gun, Drug Crimes

Staff report GAINESVILLE, Fla. – DaMorie Lamontay Miles, 20, will serve 46…

Teen Allegedly Paid by Friend to Kill Friend’s Parents for Inheritance Must Face Jury

Insets, from left: Julio Zamora and Darren Munoz (Curry County Sheriff’s Office).…

Former Employee Arrested for Alleged Restaurant Theft Case

Staff report GAINESVILLE, Fla. – Richard David Hunnicutt Jr., 53, was arrested…