Florida Paramedic Found Guilty of Sexually Battering Unconsicious Patient En Route to Hospital

A jury in Florida reached a verdict on Wednesday, convicting a former paramedic of sexually assaulting an unconscious woman inside an ambulance during her hospital transport in 2021.

After five hours of deliberation, the jury found 38-year-old James Melady guilty of sexual battery, though he was cleared of a charge related to video voyeurism. Melady had recorded the assault, but the footage vanished until his ex-girlfriend discovered it while searching for signs of his infidelity, according to a report by FlaglerLive.com.

Melady was employed with Flagler County Fire Rescue from 2018 until he stepped down in May 2024 following a failed drug test, as previously covered by CrimeOnline. His arrest in September 2024 came after the emergence of the ambulance video during a separate investigation by Daytona Beach police into another sexual misconduct allegation.

In his defense, Melady claimed all actions taken in the ambulance were necessary for medical reasons and that he recorded the incident for his protection, given he was alone with the patient. However, he failed to explain why he erased the footage from his phone after transferring it to his computer.

The victim, unaware of the assault until contacted by authorities, identified herself in the recovered video and provided testimony during the three-day trial.

Jesse Hunter, Melady’s partner that day and a 17-year veteran, testified there was no medical justification for conducting a “pelvic exam” on an unconscious patient in an ambulance, noting he had never witnessed such a procedure in his career.

The now convicted sex offender faces more legal difficulties. He has been charged in Flagler County with fraud stemming from use and possession of credit cards stolen from a patients and in Volusia County with burglary and an unrelated charge of video voyeurism. The current jury was not told of those charges.

Melady will be sentenced early next year.

Flagler County Fire Rescue changed its protocols after Melady’s arrest. Cameras are now installed in the back of all ambulances, and two people must ride in the back when transporting any underage patient or any considered vulnerable.

 

You May Also Like

Boy on Push Scooter Hit by Pickup and Left on Burning Asphalt as Mom Heard Screams, Family Says

Left inset: Ethan Turner (KSAZ/YouTube). Right inset: Glenn Noordhof (Pinal County Sheriff’s…

Police: Man Killed Girlfriend After She Returned From Hospital, Spoke With Grandmother

Left: Floyd Long (Mecklenburg County Jail). Right: Shaquina Harris (Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department).…

Police Say Vaping Dad Showed No Remorse After Infant Daughter Died While Left Alone for 43 Minutes

Inset: Celia Aurora Colby (Larkin Mortuary). Background: Murray Police Department in Utah…

Court Rejects Trump DOJ Tactics to Save Unlawfully Appointed Prosecutor

Left: Sigal Chattah, left, attorney for Guard the Constitution Project founder Shawn…

Homeless Man Arrested After Allegedly Threatening to Kill Boyfriend With Rock

Staff report GAINESVILLE, Fla. – A 71-year-old Gainesville man, Joseph Ryan, was…

Boy Found Wandering Park at Night Says He’s ‘Alone’ and ‘Scared’ After Mother Abandoned Him, Police Say

Inset: Elena Sexton (Miami-Dade County Corrections & Rehabilitation). Background: Town Center Park…

Parents Accused of Starving Toddler Found With 80-Degree Body Temperature and Severe Bedsores

Inset, left to right: Stephanie Woods and Cody Mercer (Hamilton County Sheriff’s…

Orange Park Handyman Arrested, Accused of Watching Woman Through Backyard Windows Near UF Campus

Staff report GAINESVILLE, Fla. – A 49-year-old Orange Park man was arrested…