Newberry Incident: Man Faces Arrest After Allegedly Threatening Utility Workers with Firearm

Staff Report

NEWBERRY, Fla. – In a troubling incident that unfolded yesterday, 48-year-old Phillip Demetrius Joseph from Newberry was taken into custody after allegedly threatening three utility workers with a firearm.

The episode reportedly took place around 5:22 p.m. on October 14. An Alachua County Sheriff’s Deputy was dispatched to the 2900 block of SW 298th Street following a call about an armed disturbance. The three workers, employed by a telecommunications company, were tending to telephone poles when they encountered Joseph and his wife. According to the workers, Joseph confronted them, accusing them of being involved in drug activities.

Attempting to distance themselves from the confrontation, the workers moved to a different set of poles across the street. However, Joseph allegedly persisted, continuing his accusations. The situation escalated when Joseph reportedly drew a handgun from a holster on his waist, pointing it individually at each of the workers.

The workers expressed a palpable fear for their lives, with two claiming that the firearm was brandished at their faces from a dangerously close proximity of less than 10 feet.

Upon arriving at the scene, deputies discovered the loaded weapon in Joseph’s possession. Additionally, a second loaded magazine was found on the ground, precisely where the workers reported Joseph had been standing during the incident.

Post Miranda, Joseph, who lives near the incident location, reportedly admitted to confronting the victims and demanding identification. He said he followed them across the road and pulled his handgun when he felt the first victim had “crossed beyond where he needed to be working.” He said he aimed the gun at the ground and told the first victim not to go toward his house; he reportedly admitted to waving the gun around while talking and said he could potentially have pointed the gun at the victims.

Joseph has been charged with three counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. He has no criminal history, and Judge Susan Miller-Jones ordered him held without bail pending a hearing on a motion from the State Attorney’s office to hold him without bail until trial; if the judge denies the motion, bail will be set at that hearing.

Articles about arrests are based on reports from law enforcement agencies. The charges listed are taken from the arrest report and/or court records and are only accusations. All suspects are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. 


You May Also Like

Meijer Hostage Standoff: Dead Man’s Switch, Hypnotists Demanded

Inset: Anthony Lehman (Waukesha County Jail). Background: A Meijer store in Waukesha,…

Armed Gainesville Man Arrested in Domestic Injunction Violation

Staff report GAINESVILLE, Fla. – A 42-year-old Gainesville man, Reginald Tremaine Thomas,…

Son Asked Dad to Talk, Then Stabbed Him in Neck: Police

Inset: Joseph Niemiec (Hall County Jail). Background: The 4200 block of 21st…

Repeat Felon Gets Two-Year Prison Sentence for Firearm Offense

Staff report GAINESVILLE, Fla. – Robert Anthony Yancy, Jr., 25, will spend…

Trump DOJ Cites James Comey Novel as It Argues Jury Should Decide If Seashells Were Coded Threat to Kill President

Main: Former FBI Director James Comey speaks at Harvard University’s Institute of…

Fani Willis Blasts Judge’s Errors in Trump RICO Fee Fight

Inset left: Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis testifies at a hearing…

White House Lawyer Opposes ABA Bid to Identify Advisers Behind Trump Law Firm Executive Orders

President Donald Trump listens during a Cabinet meeting on Friday, July 31,…

5-Year-Old Doing Homework Finds Dad’s Gun, Shoots Himself: Police

Background: The Memphis, Tennessee, home where authorities say the fatal shooting occurred…