Scott Peterson To Be Taken Off Death Row, Re-Sentenced For Murders Of Wife, Unborn Son
Scott Peterson To Be Taken Off Death Row, Re-Sentenced For Murders Of Wife, Unborn Son

Scott Peterson is slated to be re-sentenced to prison after spending more than 15 years on death row for the 2002 murders of his pregnant wife, Laci Peterson, and their unborn son.

On Wednesday, Superior Court Judge Anne-Christine Massullo set an October hearing date to re-sentence Peterson to life without parole. In November, Massullo is expected to decide whether Peterson should receive a new trial due to alleged juror misconduct.

In the original case, prosecutors said Peterson killed his 27-year-old wife, who was eight months pregnant with a boy they’d planned to name Connor. Peterson took his wife’s body from their home in California and dumped it into the San Francisco Bay on Christmas Eve 2002. The bodies of Laci and their unborn son washed ashore in April 2003.

Peterson, who maintains his innocence, was convicted of first-degree murder of Laci Peterson and second-degree murder of the boy in 2004, and has been on death row since 2005 without the possibility of parole. But last year, the California Supreme Court overturned the sentencing ― while upholding the conviction itself ― due to an issue with the jury.

“Peterson contends his trial was flawed for multiple reasons, beginning with the unusual amount of pretrial publicity that surrounded the case,” the court said in 2020, per NBC News. “We reject Peterson’s claim that he received an unfair trial as to guilt and thus affirm his convictions for murder.”

Justices said the trial judge “made a series of clear and significant errors in jury selection that, under long-standing United States Supreme Court precedent, undermined Peterson’s right to an impartial jury at the penalty phase.”

Should Peterson get a new trial, prosecutors have said they won’t seek the death penalty.

Regarding the jury issue, Peterson’s team claim that one juror co-authored a book on the case, “eagerly sought to be a juror in the case and did not disclose she had been a crime victim,” per The Associated Press.

The woman in question had reportedly been beaten by a boyfriend while pregnant in 2001, and obtained a restraining order against a boyfriend’s ex-girlfriend.

Source: huffpost

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Police: Facility Workers Left Vulnerable Adult Strapped to Toilet for an Hour With Leaking Feeding Tube

Inset, left to right: Angela Peterson and Sherika Myles (Dorchester County Sheriff’s…

Nevada Judge Hands Trump Administration Latest Loss in Fight for Unredacted Voter Data

President Donald Trump listens during a White House event announcing the Freedom…

Cops: Therapy Workers Locked Special Needs Clients in Basement

Left: Praise Gahn. Right: Zarkpa Green (Polk County Sheriff’s Office). Two Iowa…

Walmart Worker Accused of Summoning Armed Friends After Shopper’s ‘Glare,’ Sparking Checkout Shooting: Lawsuit

Left inset: Roberto Acevedo (Miami-Dade County Corrections and Rehabilitation). Center inset: Surveillance…

Police: Man Obsessed With Ex-Girlfriend Fatally Stabbed Her After Threatening to Kill Her

Inset: Matthew Almontes (New Haven Police Department). Background: Part of the 300…

Back-to-School Scams: How Grandparents Can Stay Safe This Fall

Press release from Operation Senior Shield TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – With students returning…

Revenge Shooting Kills Innocent Driver in Mistaken Attack

Insets, from left: Franklin Radell Smoak Jr. and Terrance Fields. Background: The…

Hawthorne Police Arrest Probationer in Stolen Car Case

Staff report HAWTHORNE, Fla. – A 37-year-old man with a recent probation…