MGM boss ADMITS his Las Vegas hotels are an outrageous rip-off
Share this @internewscast.com

MGM Resorts International’s Chief Executive Officer, Bill Hornbuckle, has openly criticized the steep costs at Las Vegas hotels, admitting the pricing has become excessive and acknowledging its impact on tourism. “Shame on us,” Hornbuckle stated in a recent earnings call, acknowledging that the high prices have driven visitors away.

During the call, Hornbuckle revealed that MGM Resorts has adjusted its pricing strategy following a tumultuous summer marred by public backlash. This comes after incidents like a guest at the ARIA Resort being charged $26 for a bottle of water sparked outrage.

Further criticism arose when it was discovered that the Bellagio Hotel, MGM’s flagship property, was adding a $25 surcharge to guests who opted for room service served on plates.

In addition to these charges, MGM has faced scrutiny over its parking fees, the cost of dining at its restaurants and cafes, and the significant resort fees that are added to room rates.

“Shame on us,” Hornbuckle emphasized during the investor meeting, as documented in a transcript reviewed by the Daily Mail. His comments reflect a broader acknowledgment of the need for pricing adjustments to rebuild trust and attract guests back to Las Vegas.

‘Shame on us,’ Hornbuckle told the investor meeting, according to a transcript of the call reviewed by the Daily Mail.

Highlighting the ‘infamous bottle of water’ and how a Starbucks coffee at three-star Excalibur costs $12, the CEO admitted the firm had not been considerate to the needs of its clientele. 

‘We should have been more sensitive to the overall experience at a place like Excalibur to those customers,’ he said. 

‘You can’t have a $29 room and a $12 coffee.’

He added that MGM has made changes to its prices and believes the company has demonstrated that ‘we understand value, we understand Las Vegas, and we’ll always be that.’

MGM President and CEO Bill Hornbuckle (pictured in 2023) admitted during an earnings call Wednesday that Las Vegas has become a rip-off and warned that hotels needs to be 'more sensitive' to the guest experience

MGM President and CEO Bill Hornbuckle (pictured in 2023) admitted during an earnings call Wednesday that Las Vegas has become a rip-off and warned that hotels needs to be ‘more sensitive’ to the guest experience

MGM recorded a drop of earnings across its Las Vegas properties over the past year. The company earned $731 million in September 2024, but only $601 million this year. Pictured is MGM's five-star Bellagio Hotel & Casino

MGM recorded a drop of earnings across its Las Vegas properties over the past year. The company earned $731 million in September 2024, but only $601 million this year. Pictured is MGM’s five-star Bellagio Hotel & Casino

Tourism across Las Vegas has been on a decline for most of the year, as guests complain of getting fleeced left and right. 

Earlier this week, rival hotel group Caesars revealed it had 90,000 rooms sit empty through the summer season in Vegas as tourists stayed away.  

MGM conducted a thorough review of what prices customers are willing to pay and made adjustments. Ninety percent of then are already in effect, it is claimed. 

MGM guests will still pay resort fees, parking and other fee-based charges, but Hornbuckle said the prices have been changed. He did not offer any specifics. 

Las Vegas has seen a 7.8 percent dip in the number of tourists between January and August of this year when compared to the same period last year.

MGM was not immune to the decline, with the company recording a drop of earnings across its properties over the past year.

The company’s Sin City properties earned $731 million in September 2024, but only $601 million this year.

Hornbuckle admitted on the earnings call that the ‘summer was rough’ for MGM, but claimed it ‘sequentially got better.’

‘I will say the same about October. Knock on wood, we may even beat October of last year,’ he predicted. 

MGM is not the only Las Vegas company accused of price gouging. Visitors have complained of spending $74 for two drinks at the Las Vegas Sphere, while others alleged one glass of a restaurant’s house wine set them back $30.

Sin City’s rising prices have led to a parallel rise in the average income of its visitors. 

Rising prices in Las Vegas have led to a 7.8 percent dip in tourism between January and August of this year when compared to the same period last year

Rising prices in Las Vegas have led to a 7.8 percent dip in tourism between January and August of this year when compared to the same period last year

Last year, 64 percent of Las Vegas tourists had an income of at least $100,000, up significantly from 48 percent in 2023 and a dramatic spike from 28 percent in 2019, according to a report from the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority

Meanwhile, Nevada and Las Vegas locals are struggling under the economic impact of slipping tourism.  

Some have even had to sell plasma to make ends meet while spending months looking for work in a city that lost 4,300 jobs month-over-month in August. 

In August, Nevada also had the fourth worst unemployment rate in the country among metropolitan areas with less than one million people, at 5.6 percent. 

The state lost 6,000 private sector jobs between July and August, primarily in the construction and food and beverage industries, which are two of the state’s biggest economic engines after gaming. 

Between the economic squeeze locals are facing and Las Vegas’s ever-increasing sticker shock, it is no wonder the city’s residents are avoiding the Strip. 

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Shocking: Dentist Arrested for Allegedly Performing Child Surgery Under the Influence

A dentist in Texas has been apprehended for allegedly conducting surgery on…

Trump Promises to Unveil Confidential Government Records on Extraterrestrial Encounters

Donald Trump has instructed Secretary of War Pete Hegseth to disclose government…

The View Co-Host Claims Trump Should Credit Show for 2016 Election Victory

Ana Navarro from “The View” has asserted that Donald Trump owes his…

Why Beatrice, Eugenie, and Their Mother Deserve Your Sympathy: Insights from Jan Moir

Following the arrest of former Prince Andrew on charges related to misconduct…

Trump Reveals Surprising Detail About Nicki Minaj That Captured His Attention

During the White House’s 100th annual Black History Month celebration, an enthusiastic…

Rachel Reeves Achieves Historic Budget Surplus with Strategic Tax Adjustments

Rachel Reeves’ strategic tax measures have led to an unprecedented budget surplus,…

Lavish High-Society Wedding Captivates with Extravagance and Opulence

A Melbourne hospitality scion has celebrated his nuptials in grand style at…

Breaking News: Russian Warplanes Approaching Alaska’s Airspace—What It Means for US Security

Nine U.S. fighter jets have been dispatched following the sighting of five…

Intensive Search Continues at Royal Lodge: What Are Andrew Police Uncovering?

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office,…

Exclusive Insight: How the Home Secretary’s Office Was Pre-Informed About Andrew’s Arrest

According to revelations by the Daily Mail, the police informed the Home…

Former Goldman Sachs Attorney Linked to Epstein Prostitution Scandal Discussions

A former Goldman Sachs attorney, now embroiled in controversy, was found to…

Is Prince Andrew’s Downfall the Tipping Point for the House of Windsor’s Future?

Wood Farm holds a cherished spot in the hearts of the Royal…