Internewscast Journal
  • Home
  • US News
  • Local News
  • Health
  • People
  • Guest Post
  • Support Our Cause
Internewscast Journal
  • Home
  • US News
  • Local News
  • Health
  • People
  • Guest Post
  • Support Our Cause
Home Local news Congo Reports Highest Single-Day Rise in Ebola Cases Since Outbreak Was Declared
  • Local news

Congo Reports Highest Single-Day Rise in Ebola Cases Since Outbreak Was Declared

  • No comments
  • 2 minute read
Total
0
Shares
Share 0
Tweet 0
Pin it 0
Congo reports record one-day increase in Ebola cases, a month after outbreak's declaration

Up next

The billionaire's bolthole that won't sell despite slashing $26M

Billionaire’s Luxury Bolthole Struggles to Sell Even After $26M Price Cut

Published on 15 June 2026

Author

Internewscast

Share article

The post has been shared by 0 people.
Facebook 0
X (Twitter) 0
Pinterest 0
Mail 0


Congo Reports Highest Single-Day Rise in Ebola Cases Since Outbreak Was Declared

KINSHASA — Congolese health officials have reported one of the sharpest single-day jumps in Ebola infections since the latest outbreak was declared, underscoring the mounting challenges facing the response effort.

The Ministry of Health said Sunday that 72 new cases were recorded over the previous 24 hours, pushing the total number of confirmed infections to 782. Officials also confirmed 32 additional deaths, bringing the total number of confirmed fatalities to 181.

Authorities believe the true number of infections may be higher. The outbreak was officially confirmed on May 15, but officials suspect it had been spreading for weeks before that. At the same time, contact tracing coverage has fallen to 56%, a steep drop from the previous week, raising concerns that many cases are going undetected.

The response has been further complicated by insecurity, weak contact tracing and persistent funding shortages, even a month after the outbreak was first announced.

This outbreak is being driven by the rare Bundibugyo strain of the Ebola virus, for which there is no approved vaccine or treatment. That sets it apart from the Zaire strain, which caused most of Congo’s 16 previous Ebola outbreaks and for which medical countermeasures are available.

So far, 56 people have recovered. The ministry said the outbreak’s current fatality rate stands at 23%.

Africa’s top health body said the same day it is deploying technical expertise and supporting laboratory systems, active case finding and community engagement efforts to accelerate the response to the disease outbreak.

“We remain committed to supporting affected countries until transmission is stopped. We call on partners and donors to urgently mobilize resources to strengthen the response and save lives,” said the head of the Africa Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or Africa CDC, Jean Kaseya.

The outbreak is concentrated in Congo’s eastern province of Ituri, which accounts for more than 90% of the cases. Cases have also been recorded in the North Kivu and South Kivu provinces, and have spread across the border to Uganda.

Nearly a million people have been displaced by conflict in Ituri, according to the U.N. humanitarian office, making contact tracing difficult as people flee attacks or move frequently in the vast province with dense forests, poor roads and remote villages that can take days to reach.

Tracing is also difficult among the thousands of artisanal miners who regularly move between remote sites in the mineral-rich region.

——

Banchereau reported from Dakar, Senegal.

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Pentagon Orders Audit of 30 University Foreign Partnerships - Internewscast Journal
  • Local news

Pentagon Orders Audit of 30 University Foreign Partnerships

The Department of Defense is directing 30 U.S. universities to conduct reviews…
  • Internewscast
  • August 18, 2026
Florida Emergency Management Chief Kevin Guthrie Resigns to Join Collins Campaign Ticket - Internewscast Journal
  • Local news

Florida Emergency Management Chief Kevin Guthrie Resigns to Join Collins Campaign Ticket

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – Florida Emergency Management Director Kevin Guthrie stepped down Tuesday,…
  • Internewscast
  • August 18, 2026
Deputies: Suspect Accused of Attempted Murder in Orlando Shooting - Internewscast Journal
  • Local news

Deputies: Suspect Accused of Attempted Murder in Orlando Shooting

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. – A 24-year-old man has been arrested after investigators…
  • Internewscast
  • August 19, 2026
Amendment 3 Explained: Tax Cut or Fiscal Time Bomb? - Internewscast Journal
  • Local news

Amendment 3 Explained: Tax Cut or Fiscal Time Bomb?

ORLANDO, Fla. – Florida’s Amendment 3 is drawing sharply divided reactions across…
  • Internewscast
  • August 19, 2026

VIDEO: Shocking Truth About Illegal Immigration: What You Must Know!

In a bold statement, @DarlineGrahamSC emphasizes the importance of upholding the law…
  • Internewscast
  • August 19, 2026
Former CDC Adviser Urges Calm as Kindergarten Vaccination Rates Decline - Internewscast Journal
  • US

Former CDC Adviser Urges Calm as Kindergarten Vaccination Rates Decline

New figures from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention show…
  • Internewscast
  • August 19, 2026
China AI Firms Race to Nvidia Power Abroad as US Eyes Curbs - Internewscast Journal
  • Asia

China AI Firms Race to Nvidia Power Abroad as US Eyes Curbs

Nvidia’s dominance in high-end AI processors has turned U.S. export controls into…
  • Internewscast
  • August 19, 2026
Widow Sues Las Vegas Hotel Over Husband’s Death at Resort - Internewscast Journal
  • News

Widow Sues Las Vegas Hotel Over Husband’s Death at Resort

A grieving widow has filed a lawsuit against a Las Vegas resort,…
  • Internewscast
  • August 19, 2026

Internewscast Journal

  • Home
  • Privacy Policy
  • DMCA Notice
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Guest Post
  • Support Our Cause
Copyright 2026. All Right Reserverd.