Internewscast Journal
  • Home
  • US News
  • Local News
  • Health
  • People
  • Guest Post
  • Support Our Cause
Internewscast Journal
  • Home
  • US News
  • Local News
  • Health
  • People
  • Guest Post
  • Support Our Cause
Home Local news Court Mandates Restoration of Trump Administration Funds for New York-New Jersey Rail Tunnel Project
  • Local news

Court Mandates Restoration of Trump Administration Funds for New York-New Jersey Rail Tunnel Project

  • 3 minute read
Total
0
Shares
Share 0
Tweet 0
Pin it 0
Judge orders Trump administration to restore funding for rail tunnel between New York and New Jersey

Up next

Hoda Kotb returns to 'Today' as search continues for Savannah Guthrie's mother

Hoda Kotb’s Triumphant Return to ‘Today’ Amid Ongoing Search for Savannah Guthrie’s Missing Mother

Published on 07 February 2026

Author

Internewscast

Share article

The post has been shared by 0 people.
Facebook 0
X (Twitter) 0
Pinterest 0
Mail 0


Court Mandates Restoration of Trump Administration Funds for New York-New Jersey Rail Tunnel Project

NEW YORK – In a significant development, a federal judge has mandated the Trump administration to reinstate funding for a pivotal rail tunnel connecting New York and New Jersey. The decision arrived just in time, as work on this extensive infrastructure project was on the brink of halting.

This ruling follows the Trump administration’s earlier decision to withdraw $16 billion in funding, justifying the move with the ongoing government shutdown at the time and concerns raised by a senior federal budget official regarding potential unconstitutional expenditures linked to diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives.

U.S. District Judge Jeannette A. Vargas in Manhattan granted a temporary restraining order requested by New York and New Jersey, preventing the administration from cutting off the funds. This order remains in place while the states pursue a preliminary injunction to ensure continued funding as their legal battle progresses.

“The Court is convinced that Plaintiffs would face irreversible damage without an injunction,” Judge Vargas noted. “Plaintiffs have compellingly demonstrated that delaying such a crucial infrastructure project would harm the public interest.”

As of Friday evening, neither the White House nor the U.S. Department of Transportation had issued responses to requests for comments.

New York Attorney General Letitia James hailed the decision as “a crucial triumph for the workforce and travelers in both New York and New Jersey.”

“I am grateful the court acted quickly to block this senseless funding freeze, which threatened to derail a project our entire region depends on,” James said in a statement. “The Hudson Tunnel Project is one of the most important infrastructure projects in the nation, and we will keep fighting to ensure construction can continue without unnecessary federal interference.”

The panel overseeing the project, the Gateway Development Commission, had said work would stop late Friday afternoon because of the federal funding freeze, resulting in the immediate loss of about 1,000 jobs as well as thousands of additional jobs in the future.

The new tunnel is meant to ease strain on an existing, over 110-year-old tunnel that connects New York and New Jersey for Amtrak and commuter trains, where delays can lead to backups up and down the East Coast.

New York and New Jersey sued over the funding pause this week, as did the Gateway Development Commission, moving to restore the Trump administration’s support.

The suspension was seen as way for the Trump administration to put pressure on Senate Democratic leader Chuck Schumer of New York, whom the White House was blaming for a government shutdown last year. The shutdown was resolved a few weeks later.

At a hearing in the states’ lawsuit earlier Friday in Manhattan, Shankar Duraiswamy, of the New Jersey attorney general’s office, told the judge that the states need “urgent relief” because of the harm and costs that will occur if the project is stopped.

“There is literally a massive hole in the earth in North Bergen,” he said, referring to the New Jersey city and claiming that abandoning the sites, even temporarily, “would pose a substantial safety and public health threat.”

Duraiswamy said the problem with shutting down now is that even a short stoppage would cause longer delays because workers will be laid off and go off to other jobs and it’ll be hard to quickly remobilize if funding becomes available. And, he added, “any long-term suspension of funding could torpedo the project.”

Tara Schwartz, an assistant U.S. attorney arguing for the government, disagreed with the “parade of horribles” described by attorneys for the states.

She noted that the states had not even made clear how long the sites could be maintained by the Gateway Development Commission. So the judge asked Duraiswamy, and he said they could maintain the sites for a few weeks and possibly a few months, but that the states would continue to suffer irreparable harm because trains would continue to run late because they rely on an outdated tunnel.

____

Collins reported from Hartford, Connecticut.

Copyright 2026 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.

You May Also Like

Trump Tests Mark Carney as Canada Faces Economic Coercion Concerns - Internewscast Journal
  • Local news

Trump Tests Mark Carney as Canada Faces Economic Coercion Concerns

TORONTO, ONT – Mark Carney made his mark on the world stage…
  • Internewscast
  • August 23, 2026
Buc-ee’s Sparks Ohio Backlash Over Mini Mart Beaver Logo Fight - Internewscast Journal
  • Local news

Buc-ee’s Sparks Ohio Backlash Over Mini Mart Beaver Logo Fight

BEAVERCREEK, Ohio – From a lip-smacking alligator to a grinning moose and…
  • Internewscast
  • August 23, 2026
Boston Symphony Orchestra Musicians Union Authorizes First Strike in Ensemble’s 145-Year History - Internewscast Journal
  • Local news

Boston Symphony Orchestra Musicians Union Authorizes First Strike in Ensemble’s 145-Year History

LENOX, Mass. – Musicians with the Boston Symphony Orchestra have authorized what…
  • Internewscast
  • August 23, 2026
The SFA had no choice but to look abroad for a new head coach - there were simply no Scottish candidates for the job
  • Sport

SFA Forced Abroad as Scotland Coach Search Exposes Talent Drought

After the surprise of Steve Clarke leaving in the wake of the…
  • Internewscast
  • August 23, 2026
Acrobat Sues Cirque du Soleil After Fall Shatters 12 Bones - Internewscast Journal
  • News

Acrobat Sues Cirque du Soleil After Fall Shatters 12 Bones

A former Cirque du Soleil acrobat who was seriously injured in a…
  • Internewscast
  • August 23, 2026
Dr. Oz Says MMR Vaccine Is Not Lethal After Trump Remark - Internewscast Journal
  • News

Dr. Oz Says MMR Vaccine Is Not Lethal After Trump Remark

WASHINGTON — Dr. Mehmet Oz said Sunday that the measles, mumps and…
  • Internewscast
  • August 23, 2026
Video shows young female pilot, 23, swimming off after surviving emergency water landing in Florida
  • US

Video: 23-Year-Old Pilot Swims Away From Florida Water Landing

WATCH: Small plane PLUNGES into ocean A small aircraft went down in…
  • Internewscast
  • August 23, 2026

Internewscast Journal

  • Home
  • Privacy Policy
  • DMCA Notice
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Guest Post
  • Support Our Cause
Copyright 2026. All Right Reserverd.