Trump threatens to send the military to Baltimore to 'clean up' crime
Share this @internewscast.com

President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to send the military into Baltimore to “quickly clean up” crime.

“However, if Wes Moore requires assistance, much like Gavin Newsom did in L.A., I will deploy the ‘troops,’ similar to the action in nearby DC, to swiftly address the crime,” Trump mentioned in a post on Truth Social, referencing the Democratic governors of Maryland and California, using a derogatory nickname for Gavin Newsom.

Trump’s remarks are part of a series of statements suggesting his intention to extend the D.C. deployment to cities nationwide, after hundreds of National Guard troops were dispatched to D.C. This move has been framed by him as a crime-fighting measure, though detractors criticize it as a political overreach.

Moore responded by saying in a statement that Trump “prefers to criticize the nation’s largest cities from the comfort of a desk rather than engage directly with the citizens he serves.”

“The President should come to Baltimore because avoidance, stereotypes, and outdated fear tactics serve no purpose,” Moore continued. “We require leaders who are actively supporting those on the ground who are doing the actual work.”

Trump’s initiative to deploy National Guard troops to cities like D.C. marks a notable deviation from traditional presidential use of the Guard, which is typically reserved for natural disasters and civil unrest scenarios.

In June, the president initially sent thousands of National Guard troops and Marines to Los Angeles amid protests against immigration enforcement measures. Newsom strongly opposed this, accusing Trump of “aiming for chaos to rationalize more crackdowns, incite more fear, and gain more control.”

Trump deployed the National Guard to D.C. earlier this month as part of a stated effort to fight crime, though at the time of his announcement, violent crime had decreased 26% compared to last year, according to D.C. police data.

NBC News reported last week that Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth signed an order authorizing about 2,000 National Guard troops in D.C. to carry weapons. Law enforcement agents have arrested hundreds of people in D.C. since Aug. 7, according to a White House official.

Maryland’s Moore said Friday that “many of the comments that are being made from the White House come off as so, so tone deaf and so ignorant” about fighting crime.

“It’s because they have not walked our streets,” he said on CNN on Friday. “They have not been in our communities, and they’re more than happy of just making these repeated tropes about us, but not actually working with us to be able to make sure that our streets are safe and that people can have a real opportunity to feel safe in their own neighborhoods.”

Trump criticized Moore’s remarks in his Sunday Truth Social post, saying he assumed that Moore “is talking about out of control, crime ridden, Baltimore.”

“As President, I would much prefer that he clean up this Crime disaster before I go there for a ‘walk,’” Trump added.

Homicides in Baltimore have decreased by more than 24% this year compared to the same period last year, Baltimore Mayor Brandon Scott said earlier this month. His office has also said that nonfatal shootings have declined 18% this year.

Moore said earlier this month on CNN that Trump was using the military as a “tool” for political purposes.

“I take very seriously about how, when and why I deploy members of our National Guard in cases of emergency and in true crises,” he said in the interview. “And I will not authorize the usage of Maryland National Guard forces for missions that I do not deem to be either mission critical or mission aligned.”

The president on Sunday also threatened to pull federal funding for the replacement of the Francis Scott Key Bridge, which collapsed in 2024. The federal government had previously agreed to pay for the bridge’s replacement.

“I gave Wes Moore a lot of money to fix his demolished bridge,” Trump wrote. “I will now have to rethink that decision???”

Moore slammed Trump’s message, saying in a statement that “any threats to this funding will cause irrevocable damage to the national economy and to the entire State of Maryland.”

“We have already begun rebuilding, and now that Maryland is showing great progress, our President is threatening to intentionally harm Maryland,” he continued.

Rep. Johnny Olszewski, D-Md., said in a statement responding to Trump’s post that “Baltimore is making real progress, but sustaining our momentum requires collaboration at all levels of government.”

“President Trump’s threats to deploy troops to American cities and cancel funding approved by Congress are illegal, unhelpful and directly at odds to that progress,” added Olszewski, who represents parts of Baltimore.

In recent days, Trump has also threatened to deploy the National Guard to other cities. He praised the National Guard’s work on Friday, going on to say, “I think Chicago will be our next, and then we’ll help with New York.”

Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker hit back on Saturday, accusing Trump in a post to X of “attempting to manufacture a crisis, politicize Americans who serve in uniform, and continue abusing his power to distract from the pain he’s causing families.”

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Escalating Tensions: Russian Strikes Claim Lives in Kyiv Amid Renewed Diplomatic Push for Peace in Ukraine

KYIV – In the early hours of Saturday, Kyiv faced a deadly…

Unexploded Grenade Found in Orlando Community, Fire Department Reports

ORLANDO, Fla. – Fire department crews discovered a grenade while responding to…

Community Outcry Escalates: Arrests Spark Controversy 100 Days Post Rainbow Crosswalk Removal

In Orlando, Florida, a crosswalk near the former Pulse nightclub has become…

Jonesborough Illuminates the Season with Annual Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony

The heart of Tennessee’s oldest town, Jonesborough, sprang to life as the…

Trader Joe’s Set to Open First Melbourne Location This December, Company Announces

MELBOURNE, Fla. – The eagerly awaited Trader Joe’s store in Central Florida…

African Union Temporarily Suspends Guinea-Bissau Following Military Coup

DAKAR – In response to a military coup, the African Union has…

Heartfelt Farewell: Motorcade Honors Fallen National Guard Member Tragically Shot in Washington D.C.

On Thursday evening, a solemn procession departed from Medstar Washington Medical Center,…

Bristol Rhythm & Roots Reveals Additional Artists for Its 2026 ’25 Artists for 25 Years’ Celebration

The Birthplace of Country Music has unveiled the first 25 artists set…

Post-Thanksgiving Travel Alert: Snow, Rain, and Cold Weather Set to Impact Journeys

As the Thanksgiving holiday weekend continues, travelers should brace themselves for a…

Brace for Impact: Thanksgiving Travelers Face Snow, Rain, and Chilly Weather Conditions

As Thanksgiving travelers began their journeys, snow and cold temperatures have already…

Heroic Sibling Rescue: How an Older Brother Saved His 10-Year-Old Sister in a Hawkins County ATV Accident

What began as a typical Saturday evening in Hawkins County quickly transformed…

Orlando’s Small Businesses Gear Up for Record-Breaking Saturday Shopping Rush

ORLANDO, Fla. – In a bid to accommodate the influx of shoppers,…