17-Year-Old Girl Identified as Victim in Swedish School Sword Attack - Internewscast Journal
17-Year-Old Girl Identified as Victim in Swedish School Sword Attack

Police in Sweden said Saturday that the victim killed in a sword attack at a school in the country’s center was a 17-year-old girl.

The attack unfolded Friday at Brinell School in Fagersta, northwest of Stockholm, while classes were underway. Authorities said an 18-year-old man armed with a sword carried out the assault.

One person died in the incident, and three others were injured, including two who suffered serious wounds.

Police said the suspect has been taken into custody and that investigators are treating the case as murder and attempted murder.

Authorities also said they currently have no indication that anyone else was involved in the attack.

Västmanland County, where Fagersta is located, said the two boys who were seriously injured are 12 and 17 years old.

A third victim, also a minor, sustained minor injuries and has since been released from the hospital, the Swedish news agency TT reported.

The school’s principal told local broadcaster P4 Västmanland on Saturday that the attacker was a student at Brinell School.

The police said they fired shots during its action on Friday but the attacker was not hit.

On Saturday morning, around 70 people gathered at the memorial site that the municipality prepared, carrying flowers and lighting candles, TT reported.

Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson, who visited the site on Saturday, expressed solidarity with the families affected by the attack and with those impacted by previous school attacks in Sweden.

“What must never happen has happened again,” Kristersson said.

Kristersson was joined in Fagersta by Magdalena Andersson, leader of the main opposition Social Democrats.

With Sweden’s parliamentary election due in September, political parties suspended campaign events on Saturday.

Kristersson also invited all party leaders to a meeting to discuss the progress of the investigation.

There was no official information on the attacker’s possible motive.

Sweden’s national police said that investigators have already carried out two house searches in connection with the suspect. Many witnesses were expected to be interviewed as part of the investigation.

The region went into a state of emergency on Friday, but it had ended by Saturday.

Sweden has seen a series of violent school attacks over the years.

Last year, 11 people, including the gunman, died after an attack at an education center in Örebro in central Sweden, leading the government to propose tougher gun laws.

It’s considered to be the worst mass shooting in the country’s history.

In 2022, an 18-year-old man attacked two female teachers with a knife and an ax in a school in Malmo, killing them.

In 2015, a 21-year-old local man rampaged through a school in the southern industrial city of Trollhattan, stabbing three people to death before being fatally shot by police.

Authorities called it a racist hate crime, saying he methodically selected dark-skinned victims at Trollhattan’s Kronan school, where most students are foreign-born.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Burnham Economic Adviser Turns Down Role and Demands Welfare Reform

A former Conservative Treasury minister who had been widely expected to become…

Josh Allen Blasts Reporter Over Teammate’s Son’s Drowning Death

Josh Allen has criticized the sports reporter who publicly revealed the drowning…

Noah’s Ark Mystery Deepens as New Scans Suggest Ancient Formation Is More Than Rock

A strange, boat-like formation tucked into the mountains of eastern Turkey has…

Karoline Leavitt Reveals Her Next Big MAGA World Role

Karoline Leavitt has confirmed she is moving into a new role with…

Ridley Scott, 88, Reveals Rare Glimpse Into Family Life

Ridley Scott has offered an uncommon glimpse into his life away from…

Hunter Biden Stunned by Bill Maher’s Blunt Iran Warning

Bill Maher sharply cut in as Hunter Biden weighed in on the…

Parking Lot Etiquette Dispute Roils America’s Wealthiest Mountain Town

A fierce parking scramble in one of America’s most exclusive mountain destinations…

Only 4% Say Prince William Should Move First Toward Harry

Prince William should leave it to Prince Harry to take the first…

Four Family Members Die in Devastating House Fire Tragedy

A California family is reeling from an unthinkable tragedy spanning three generations…

New Immigration Data Reveals Scale of Overseas Arrivals

Melbourne’s post-pandemic population boom has been driven overwhelmingly by overseas migration, with…

Former NBA Star Reveals Next Move After Surprise WNBA Draft Declaration

Enes Kanter Freedom, the 6-foot-10 former NBA center who has floated an…

Trump Blasts Tucker Carlson as Low IQ in Sharp New Feud

President Donald Trump has publicly broken with one-time ally Tucker Carlson, accusing…