Anthony Albanese Defends Immigration Policy, Says It’s Delivering Results

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has stood by his government’s migration settings, insisting they are “working” despite overseas arrivals remaining well above pre-pandemic levels and surpassing official projections.

In an interview with Sky News on Sunday, Mr Albanese dismissed claims that net overseas migration is still too high, saying the current figures reflect a post-Covid rebound that is beginning to subside.

“The fact is that Covid happened and the borders were shut,” he said.

“When the borders opened after Covid, you not only had tourists coming to Australia who weren’t coming beforehand, you also had Australians coming home who were locked out.”

New figures released this week by the Australian Bureau of Statistics show the nation’s population increased by 412,500 people in the year to December 31, 2025.

Net overseas migration made up 301,000 of that rise — almost three-quarters of the overall growth — while natural increase accounted for a further 111,500 people.

While net migration was about nine per cent lower than the previous year and more than 45 per cent below its 2023 peak, it is still running well above the levels recorded before the pandemic.

Mr Albanese conceded the numbers remain high, but said the continued decline showed the government’s policies were having the intended effect.

Albanese (pictured) said that migration levels would fall to 225,000 from around 300,000

Albanese (pictured) said that migration levels would fall to 225,000 from around 300,000

‘They are coming down… forty-five per cent is a pretty serious lower trajectory,’ he said. 

‘It will hit 225,000 over the next few years. That is what the objective is.’

The latest federal budget, however, projects net overseas migration of 310,000 in 2025–26, an increase on earlier estimates and well above Labor’s longer-term target of 225,000.

Albanese blamed the Opposition for resisting measures to cut numbers, including proposed changes for international students. 

‘The changes that we introduced, for example on students coming here, the restrictions and numbers, were opposed by all of the right-wing parties in the parliament,’ he said.

Opposition Leader Angus Taylor said the figures show the government has lost control of migration and failed to meet its own targets.

‘They’ve failed time and time again. They’ve missed every one of their targets. We’ve seen 1.4 million people coming in, in three and a half years,’ he told Sky News.

‘That’s a number we’ve never seen before, and the ongoing numbers are way above what is sustainable.’

The Opposition says the Albanese government has failed to meet their own targets

The Opposition says the Albanese government has failed to meet their own targets 

Taylor linked high migration levels to the housing crisis, arguing supply has failed to keep pace with population growth.

‘Meanwhile, the housing supply numbers are below their own targets, so housing way below their targets, immigration way above,’ he said. 

‘Well it’s no surprise that young Australians can’t get into a home, and that’s why we will establish a cap on migration.’

Shadow Immigration Minister Jonno Duniam earlier this week also challenged the government’s claims, saying recent data contradicts its narrative.

‘Labor keeps trying to tell Australians that the migration numbers are coming down, but the latest ABS figures again portray a very different story,’ he said.

He criticised the government’s reliance on comparisons with the 2023 peak.

‘Labor cannot keep pretending that things are on the right path, particularly by citing the ridiculous statistic that they’ve brought the numbers down by around 45 per cent from the unprecedented peaks on their watch,’ he said.

‘The truth is that migration remains at levels never seen under the former Coalition government, and that these elevated levels have now been sustained for 14 straight quarters.’

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Alex Jones’ $50M Sandy Hook Defamation Penalty Reduced

Alex Jones has claimed a legal win after a Texas appeals court…

400-Pound Big Dave Becomes College Football’s Heaviest Player

College football appears to have a new heaviest player entering the 2026…

Dolly Parton, 80, Reveals Heartbreaking Cause Behind Recent Health Issues

Dolly Parton has opened up about the deeply personal reason behind her…

Newport Beach Police Rescue 5 Dogs From Deadly Hot Car

Five dogs trapped inside a sweltering car in Newport Beach were moments…

Ivanka Trump’s Grueling Diet and Fitness Routine Revealed

Ivanka Trump has kept her summer style in the spotlight, repeatedly drawing…

Karmelo Anthony Denied New Trial in Austin Metcalf Murder Case

A judge has rejected Karmelo Anthony’s request for a new trial. Anthony…

Zelensky’s Strike on ‘Russian Amazon’ Turns Russians on Putin

Anastasia watched the other passengers warily as the packed bus carried her…

Trump Fires Back With Mom Jab After Protester’s Brazen Stunt

Donald Trump took aim at a heckler during a Friday night rally…

Kim Zolciak’s Ex Kroy Picks Up Son’s Football Jersey After Arrest

Kim Zolciak’s estranged husband, Kroy Biermann, was seen in public on Saturday…

NASA Engineer’s Side Hustle Generates $32,000 a Month

Eryn Andrews has imagined a future in space exploration since childhood, long…

Inside the Yorkshire Prison Where Five Female Guards Fell for Inmates

The former mining villages north of Doncaster are hardly places most people…

Washington, DC Turns Into IndyCar Track for America 250 Finale

IndyCar drivers thundered down Pennsylvania Avenue on Saturday, turning one of Washington’s…