Share this @internewscast.com


Australian authorities are grappling with the dilemma of whether to allow the return of women and children allegedly associated with the Islamic State (IS) group. While officials are hesitant to welcome them back, the legal criteria necessary to prevent them from obtaining passports have not been met.

A group of 34 individuals, consisting of women and children linked to Australians who joined IS in the Middle East, have been attempting to return home from a Syrian refugee camp. Despite their connections to the terrorist organization, these individuals hold the right to Australian passports as citizens.

However, in a recent development, one of the women has been slapped with a temporary exclusion order. This measure bars her from re-entering Australia for up to two years, highlighting the government’s cautious approach.

Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke clarified that, to date, security agencies have not provided any recommendations that would prevent the issuance of travel documents to this group. Speaking on ABC’s Insiders program, Burke stated, “There’s been no advice from ASIO that the Passports Act provisions have been activated.”

He further explained that, based on the available information, imposing additional temporary exclusion orders has not been deemed the most effective strategy for ensuring the safety of Australians.

“On the information that we have, the best way to protect Australians has not involved any further temporary exclusion orders.

“We don’t want them to come back … we’re actively making sure we do nothing to help them.”

The 34-strong cohort was not a coherent group, Burke added, but enough information was available to issue the single exclusion order.

“We know the different individuals, we know the state of mind and effective ideology of different individuals,” he said. “Our agencies have been following them for a long time.”

The minister noted a majority of the cohort were born in Australia and he confirmed state and federal agencies had been working together to mitigate any potential risks from their return.

Burke also rejected claims made in a report in the Sunday Telegraph asserting that official preparations were underway for the cohort’s return.

“In that report, it makes a claim that we are conducting a repatriation. We are not,” Burke said.

“It claims we have been meeting with the states for the purposes of a repatriation. We have not,” Burke added.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said the government was not in contact with any member of the cohort, but he threatened charges would apply if they came back to Australia.

“Australian citizens have rights and they also have responsibilities, and those responsibilities mean that the Australian government, like with anyone else, will apply the full force of the law to anyone who has broken Australian law,” he told Sky News.

“Is Australia providing repatriation, which did occur in 2019 and 2022? No is the answer to that.”

Labor has been under pressure from the opposition to block the entire group from entering Australia, however Albanese said his government was operating under laws introduced by the Coalition.

“When it comes to the issue of citizenship, that has rights as well under our constitution,” the prime minister said. “There are issues there and the Coalition know that is the case.”

Opposition defence spokesman James Paterson reiterated that the government should do more to stop the cohort’s arrival.

“It is very clear that the government can refuse a passport to an Australian citizen if they receive advice from a competent authority like ASIO or the AFP if a person is a threat to security,” he said. “Denying their passport would deal with that threat to security.”

The granting of a temporary exclusion order to one of the cohort meant further orders could be granted, Paterson added. “Those powers need to be used and this government seems very reluctant to use them,” he said.


For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
NSW farmer and butcher Bianca Tarrant said the tariffs had a flow-on effect for producers.

Aussie Farmers Brace for Impact: US Tariff Shifts Spark Concerns Down Under

Farmers and producers across Australia are on edge after Donald Trump said…
At the end of a work day, commuters ride a metro train traveling from Flinders Street Station to points outside the city center of Melbourne, Australia

Majority of Nine.com.au Audience Achieves 2026 Goal Ahead of Schedule: Discover Their Secrets!

Exclusive Insight: A worrying trend is emerging in Australia as reading rates…

Is Trump Challenging the Global Rules-Based Order? Understanding the Implications

German Chancellor Friedrich Merz recently joined a growing number of world leaders…

Police Sergeant Faces Double Drink-Driving Allegations in Single Day

An off-duty police officer has been charged after allegedly being caught drink…

Unlocking the Migration Debate: Five Insightful Charts Reveal the Optimal ‘Sweet Spot

In the wake of the recent Bondi terror incident and the ongoing…
Chris Baghsarian has been missing for more than a week.

Police Intensify Investigation into Burnt-Out Car in Urgent Search for Missing Grandfather

Police believe a car torched in Sydney‘s west earlier this week is…
President Donald Trump speaks during a press briefing at the White House on Friday, February 20 in Washington.

Trump to Boost Tariffs to 15% Following Game-Changing Supreme Court Decision

President Donald Trump said on Saturday that he wants a global tariff…
Wellington Phoenix goalie Josh Oluwayemi (bottom right) has gone viral after he made a mind-boggling mistake in his side's 5-0 loss to Auckland on Saturday

Aussie Footballer’s Unforgettable Mistake Sparks Coach’s Sudden Resignation

Footballer Josh Oluwayemi has captured attention for a blunder that contributed significantly…

Donald Trump Elevates Global Tariffs to 15% Maximum, Marking Temporary Increase

In a surprising twist, President Donald Trump announced his decision to increase…
Melonie Mckay was run over in her own driveway after allegedly getting into an argument with her neighbour.

Grandmother’s Tragic Death: Man Faces Murder Charges in Alleged Hit-and-Run

A man has been charged with murder after allegedly running over his…

From Pilot to Disgraced Figure: The Transformation of Former Prince Andrew

In Brief Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested on Thursday after police previously said…
Jayden Ansara had to act quick when his mother collapsed after having a brain aneurysm.

Young Boy Honored with Bravery Award for Heroic Act in Saving Mother’s Life

A nine-year-old boy who helped save his mother’s life by calling Triple…