Driver jailed for killing e-scooter rider over affair suspicions
Share this @internewscast.com
A driver who mowed down a scooter rider believing he had an affair with his girlfriend and then deliberately concealed his involvement in the crime has been jailed.

Shaun Baensch’s girlfriend had a simple piece of advice for him: “don’t be an idiot, just keep driving.” Yet, consumed by jealousy, Baensch chose to ignore her as he trailed an e-scooter rider on his way home.

Shaun Baensch arrives at the Supreme Court of Victoria in Melbourne. (AAP)

Having recently been released from prison after serving time for armed robbery, Baensch was plagued by rumors. Whispers were circulating that Bryce Trower and Baensch’s girlfriend were romantically involved, a notion that ignited a dangerous jealousy within him.

The situation reached a tragic climax on December 11, 2023. In a fit of rage, Baensch deliberately struck Trower with his vehicle. The impact was catastrophic. Trower, who had been riding his Segway Ninebot e-scooter, was violently thrown into the air, colliding with the ute’s windscreen before being propelled seven meters down the road.

As Trower lay critically injured on Forster Street in Norlane, a suburb of Geelong, Baensch fled the scene, leaving the 31-year-old victim to die. Despite the efforts of nearby residents who rushed to his aid, Trower succumbed to his injuries at the location.

In the aftermath, Baensch managed to evade capture for several months. A judge later remarked on the “calculated steps” he took to mask his involvement in the fatal incident. Today, justice seeks to catch up with Baensch for his cold and calculated actions.

Baensch avoided apprehension for the killing for several months after taking what a judge today labelled as “calculated steps” to conceal his involvement.

This included removing parts of the ute the day after and then getting a friend to store the vehicle at their home.

He also lied to police, claiming Trower had fallen in front of his vehicle, and at one point joked to an associate about having “done a Bryce” when he fell off a scooter.

Bryce Trower was riding along Foster Road in Norlane when he was hit by a black 2007 Holden Rodeo utility about 6.40pm on December 11.
Bryce Trower was riding along Foster Road in Norlane when he was hit by a black 2007 Holden Rodeo utility about 6.40pm on December 11. (Victoria Police)

“All this behaviour post the offence must be seen as having been motivated by self-preservation,” Supreme Court Justice Peter Kidd told Baensch as he sentenced him.

“It showed complete disregard for Mr Trower’s welfare.”

Baensch, who last year pleaded guilty to manslaughter and failure to stop over the fatal hit-and-run, was arrested over Trower’s death in May 2024.

He claimed he had intended to knock Trower off the scooter, but not kill him, after being “driven crazy” by rumours about him and his girlfriend.

“I was just trying to nudge him, and I didn’t go to plan,” he told police.

Police previously released CCTV footage of the ute as part of a plea for information.
Police previously released CCTV footage of the ute as part of a plea for information. (Victoria Police)

Justice Kidd found Baensch’s manslaughter was a very serious example of the offence as it was not an accident and he had deliberately hit Trower.

“Collisions involving motor vehicles and pedestrians, or riders, are often referred to as accidents, the collision with Mr Trower was no accident,” he said.

“Your unlawful act, deliberately striking Mr Trower with your motor vehicle, was an extremely dangerous act.”

He sentenced Baensch to a maximum of 10 years and six months in prison, and ordered he spend seven years behind bars before he will be eligible for parole.

Baensch has already served one year and eight months of his sentence.

NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
'No justice': Hit-run victim's family slam punishment

Outrage Over Lenient Sentence: Hit-and-Run Victim’s Family Demands Justice

WARNING: This article contains the names of deceased Indigenous people. The family…

From Dough to Dream Home: Pizza Chefs Overcome Challenges to Buy First House

Every day at Boss Pizzeria, a bustling Italian eatery in Melbourne’s eastern…
Police return to royal homes after ex-Prince Andrew's arrest

Police Presence Intensifies at Royal Residences Following Former Prince Andrew’s Arrest

The brother of King Charles III was taken into custody on his…
Posties told to stop wearing uniforms amid reports they're getting sunburnt

Postal Workers Advised to Ditch Uniforms Due to Sunburn Concerns

Australia Post has advised its postal workers to refrain from wearing their…
The death of Ruben Ray Martinez, 23, would mark the earliest of at least six deadly shootings by federal officers since the start of a nationwide immigration crackdown in President Donald Trump's second term.

Shocking Incident: Texas Man Fatally Shot by Federal Immigration Agent – Uncover the Full Story

Newly released records show a US citizen was shot and killed in…

UN Unveils Disturbing Evidence: Genocidal Atrocities Surface in Sudan

In brief The mission warned that “urgent protection of civilians is needed,…
Someone holding a handful of Australian cash.

Massive Cash Boost: Over 5 Million Australians Set to Benefit Soon!

More than five million Australians receiving social security payments, half of whom…

Tragic Outcomes From Dual Mental Health Facility Escapes Spur Call for ‘Urgent’ Reform

IN BRIEF Advocates say the mental health system is too focused on…
Victims were led to believe they were purchasing cryptocurrency, shares, or other legitimate investment products.

Sydney Man Exposed: The $5 Million Scam That Shocked Australia

Elderly and vulnerable victims were usually contacted on social media and encouraged…

Former Prince Andrew Released from Police Custody Following Arrest

In Brief Former prince Andrew was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in…
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office

UK Government Weighs Historic Decision: Potential Removal of Former Prince from Royal Succession

Despite recent controversy, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor remains the eighth person in line to…
Blood test pathologist blood sample

Revolutionary Blood Test Offers Insight into Alzheimer’s Onset Timing

A new blood test could be able to clock when someone may…