Share this @internewscast.com


The family of a man killed while battling bushfires have remembered the firefighter as a great father, loving brother and wonderful friend.
The 59-year-old had worked at the Lake Munmorah depot for almost three decades and was helping lead the charge against the Bulahdelah fire when he was killed.

Tragically, Lohan became the first firefighter from the New South Wales National Parks and Wildlife Service to lose their life in the line of duty since 2011.

“The news of John’s passing has come as a profound shock to us all,” his family wrote in a statement on Tuesday.
“John was a great father, a loving brother, and wonderful friend to everyone who knew him.
“He will be greatly missed.”
The family thanked the public for their support and condolences and paid tribute to his coworkers for their compassion and strength.
National Parks said their treasured and experienced staff member was undertaking a critical leadership role when killed.

In recent weeks, Lohan’s passing marks the third fatality linked to bushfire-related incidents.

A 59-year-old farmer in Western Australia died earlier in December battling a fire on his property and a 65-year-old firefighter from South Australia’s National Parks and Wildlife Service died trying to extinguish a fire in a remote location.
The fire Lohan was fighting to contain has spread to more than 4600 hectares and is now being controlled.
More than 100 firefighters had been deployed as the bushfire destroyed four homes in the area.
Northerly winds also sent smoke more than 200km south, blanketing Newcastle and Sydney over several days.

While fire conditions have moderated, the forecast of hot and dry weather keeps the danger rating elevated, continuing to pose significant risks.

Heatwaves and gusty winds have fuelled fire threats across the east coast in recent days.
Blazes destroyed 16 homes at Koolewong on the NSW Central Coast, while another 19 houses were destroyed at Dolphin Sands on Tasmania’s east coast.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Latest Updates: The Ongoing Search for Missing Nancy Guthrie

In brief Nancy Guthrie was reported missing early this month. A promising…
Wayne Bennett has endorsed the landmark changes to State of Origin’s selection criteria but has warned Australian rugby league chiefs not to alter core eligibility rules

Wayne Bennett Urges State of Origin Leaders to Maintain Key Rule Amidst Significant Eligibility Reforms

Wayne Bennett has given his support to the groundbreaking modifications in the…
The sign outside entrance to the NDIS headquarters in central Geelong. The building is at 13 - 19 Malop Street

Government Employee Accused in $5 Million NDIS Fraud Case

An employee of the National Disability Insurance Agency is facing charges in…
Hacker scam online

Massive Data Breach Exposes Personal Information of Hundreds of Thousands of Australians

Hundreds of thousands of Australians could have had highly personal information released…
Sydney had the nation's highest temperature just before midday today.

Sydney’s Sizzling Heatwave Ends Abruptly with Unexpected Downpour: A Weather Rollercoaster

Sydney was the hottest place in Australia briefly today before parts of…

Iran-US Nuclear Negotiations: Breakthrough in Guiding Principles, Yet Deal Remains Elusive

In brief A US official said Iran would make detailed proposals in…
Brandan Koschel attended the March for Australia protest alongside hundreds of others winding their way through Sydney's city centre.

White Supremacist Sentenced for Incendiary Australia Day Speech

A man who threw his support behind neo-Nazis and spouted anti-Semitic remarks…
Nurse assaulted in alleged racist attack at Geelong gym

Nurse Targeted in Suspected Racially Motivated Assault at Geelong Gym

A young nurse has been left with a broken nose after being…
One Nation leader Senator Pauline Hanson during a press conference at Parliament House in Canberra on Monday 19 January 2026.

Pauline Hanson Faces Backlash: Controversial Remarks Slammed as ‘Un-Australian

One of Australia’s most prominent conservative senators has delivered a stinging critique…

Join Randa Abdel-Fattah at the Sydney Writers’ Festival: A Must-Attend Event for Literature Lovers!

In brief Sydney Writers’ Festival said in a statement it was “not…

Sabina Ditches Snacking After Analyzing Sugar Levels: Is the Data Truly That Straightforward?

As Sabina Ziokowski glances at her app, a noticeable spike in her…
Minister for Home Affairs, Minister for Immigration and Citizenship, Minister for Cyber Security, Minister for the Arts and Leader of the House Tony Burke during the presentation and motion for second reading of the Combatting Antisemitism, Hate and Extremism (Firearms and Customs Laws) Bill 2026, in the House of Representatives at Parliament House in Canberra on Tuesday 20 January 2026. fedpol Photo: Alex Ellinghausen

Controversial Australian with ISIS Ties Temporarily Barred from Returning Home

Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke confirmed an exclusion order had been taken…