Optus to face 'consequences', minister promises after outage
Share this @internewscast.com
Optus is likely to face “consequences” after a recent outage prevented many from contacting emergency services in what Communications Minister Anika Wells described as an “enormous failure”.

Several deaths occurred during the network disruption, where individuals were unable to reach critical emergency services.

Following the acknowledgment by Optus CEO Stephen Rue that the telecom company overlooked several alerts about disruptions in Triple Zero calls, Wells confirmed this morning that Optus had prior knowledge of the problem but failed to address it.

Optus has been slammed over a recent outage. (Getty)

“Optus will be held to account,” she said.

“Optus and all telecommunications providers have obligations under Australian law to make sure emergency services calls go through.”

Though Wells and Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) head Nerida O’Loughlin did not detail the specific penalties Optus might incur, O’Loughlin mentioned a previous $12 million penalty the company faced in 2023 for similar regulation breaches.

O’Loughlin reported that 624 calls to Triple Zero were impacted by the outage, which took place between 12:30 am and 1:30 pm on Thursday across South Australia, Western Australia, and the Northern Territory.

She said initial emails from Optus about the scale of the outage had been “perfunctory” and “inaccurate”.

Current regulations mandate that telecommunication firms promptly inform stakeholders, including governmental bodies and ACMA, when an outage is detected.

Optus CEO Stephen Rue
Optus chief executive Stephen Rue. (Nine)

”In this case we weren’t notified at all until the outage was resolved,” O’Loughlin said.

ACMA is undertaking a thorough investigation of the incident, though Wells and O’Loughlin did not say when they expected that to be resolved.

“Once we have all the information regarding this incident and consider ACMA’s recommendations, I will decide on the appropriate actions for the telecommunications sector as a whole,” Wells stated.

The minister also indicated that the outage could prompt a broader examination of the industry, noting that Optus was not the only provider to have overseen Triple Zero outages.

“This is not entirely a matter for Optus,” Wells said.

“We are considering what needs to be done holistically or as part of legislative relief for the Australian people, given their confidence has no doubt been shaken by what has happened here.”

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Government Stalled: Public Outcry as Critical Reforms Remain Unaddressed

The government is facing pressure to axe “dangerous” reforms to Australia’s freedom…
Rugby league great Nathan Wood (right) has opened up on being diagnosed with Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE)

Football Star Courageously Shares Diagnosis of Severe Brain Disease with His Mother; Her Reaction is Profound

Former NRL athlete Nat Wood has courageously shared his struggle with thoughts…

Trump Shuts Down Venezuelan Airspace Amid Rising Tensions: What It Means for Global Relations

US President Donald Trump has warned that the airspace above and near…
Melburnians flocked to the newly opened Melbourne Metro Tunnel today.

Melbourne Metro Tunnel Opens After Years of Delays: Navigating Initial Challenges for Commuters

This morning marked the debut of Melbourne’s Metro Tunnel to commuters, although…
An aerial view of the burnt buildings after a deadly fire at Wang Fuk Court, a residential estate in the Tai Po district of Hong Kong's New Territories,

Investigation Launched into Corruption and Negligence Behind Hong Kong’s Most Devastating Fire in Decades

The tragic fire in Hong Kong, marking the deadliest in decades, has…
Dozens arrested in Port of Newcastle climate change protest

Mass Arrests at Port of Newcastle as Climate Activists Rally for Change

In a bold display of civil disobedience, climate change activists have once…

Unlocking Australia’s Billion-Dollar Opportunity: The Untapped Export Ready to Skyrocket

When Eleanor Gray borrowed a Hello Kitty DVD from her local library…
Award-winning British playwright dead at the age of 88

Renowned British Playwright Passes Away at 88

Renowned British playwright Tom Stoppard, celebrated for his witty and thought-provoking works,…
Hero Uber driver stops job to race into burning house

Brave Uber Driver Halts Ride to Courageously Rescue Residents from Burning Home

An Uber driver unexpectedly halted a passenger’s trip to dash into a…
ChatGPT is about to get a lot hornier

Exciting Updates: ChatGPT Introduces More Engaging Features

ChatGPT is on the verge of undergoing a transformation that could make…
The huge fireball reached up to 150 metres in height. It occurred after an industrial fire in North St Marys in Western Sydney.

Massive Industrial Inferno Rages in Western Sydney: Firefighters Brace for Days-Long Battle

In Sydney’s western region, an intense factory blaze saw around 200 firefighters…
The train station art was labelled 'AI slop'

Sydney Train Station Takes Down Controversial ‘AI Slop’ Mural Following Public Outcry

A mural at Sydney’s Redfern train station has been taken down after…